Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New DIRECTV format and Caller ID?

Contributor

New DIRECTV format and Caller ID?

Caller ID information is no longer showing on my TV screen.  I went into the MENU button and there isn't any caller ID category to go into.  I need help getting my caller ID back.

Message 1 of 42
ACE - Expert

Re: New Directv forum on my smart tv.

So get a caller id box.  Caller id is dead on DTV

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 42
ACE - Expert

DirecTV only used the Caller ID on TV feature to encourage people to be connected. This is because in the old days that was how you ordered PPV by remote, sent anonymous viewing data, and even got software updates on very old models. DirecTV's feature only worked with traditional/old fashion telephone lines.

Now they want you internet connected so you will make use of On Demand features. That is how PPV ordering and viewing data is done now. Software updates come from the satellite.

So DirecTV has no reason to spend money on a feature that does not support TV watching. So starting with the HR54 boxes no longer have a phone jack in them. The new GUI has no menu option for it for this reason, which is why the HR44 drops the feature as it also receives the new GUI.

This has nothing to do with if Dish chooses to still have a similar feature or not. DirecTV hasn't supported their old features in years before the menu option and jack removal. It was just left to run in the old software as is, and if it broke there was no fixing. So they are cleaning out stuff they have no investment in (from a business standpoint). Yes some people may miss the feature, but will have to accept it is gone and use an actual phone product for Caller ID.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 42

I have caller ID on the landline. Having it come across the TV allows you to not have your handset next to you. But, thank you.
Message 33 of 42
ACE - Expert

@bondcounty wrote:
I have caller ID on the landline. Having it come across the TV allows you to not have your handset next to you. But, thank you.

It is the direction they chose to take. Either have handset next to you so you don't have to run to where the phone actually is, or just get a dedicated Caller ID box if you want something more special.

Caller ID on TV is removed from DirecTV boxes HR44 and up, with all later boxes having no phone jack as well. TV is now used for TV watching, not phone services.

Message 34 of 42
Tutor

Isn’t Directv owned by AT&T (a phone company)

Message 35 of 42
Highlighted
Tutor

Isn’t Directv owned by AT&T ( a phone company)

Message 36 of 42
ACE - Expert

So what, DTV's caller id came out long before the merger and only works on analog landlines.

Message 37 of 42
ACE - Expert

@Johnmori wrote:

Isn’t Directv owned by AT&T ( a phone company)

DirecTV stopped supporting Caller ID on TV years ago, well before the acquisition by AT&T. They left it to run "as is" in the old software. New boxes are not even made with a phone jack anymore. The TV service no longer has incentive to have people connected to a traditional landline as their delivery methods for software updates are fully through the satellite feed, and other features are through internet connection. So the purpose of Caller ID on TV was to encourage customer to be connected, which since no longer needed has been phased out. The new GUI software removes outdated features from the menus.

AT&T acquiring DirecTV does not change the fact that the service is from satellite, not through AT&T's hardline. So it is not made to interact with a phone service.

Message 38 of 42
Contributor

You can always go to cable. As long as you have bundle your telephone with them then the caller id works on the screen. 

Message 39 of 42
ACE - Expert

@TelevisionNerd wrote:

You can always go to cable. As long as you have bundle your telephone with them then the caller id works on the screen. 

DirecTV is a dedicated TV service so doesn't rely on all eggs in one basket. Because phone, TV, and internet are interwoven with cable providers, having an outage usually affects all services for however long it takes them to repair the lines. If my TV goes out, my phone and internet still work and vice versa as they are through separate services.

But I'm sure the posters from months ago made their decisions on what they wanted to do.

Message 40 of 42
ACE - Expert

@TelevisionNerd wrote:

Really?  I'm not aware of any cable TV companies that provide integrated on-screen TV caller ID. Can you point us to one?

Message 41 of 42
Contributor

I have Comcast (Xfinity). I bundled my land line telephone with my tv and internet. Caller id works right on the screen when calls come in. I’m still a Directv customer also.
Message 42 of 42
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support