Explore & discover

Helpful Links

NEW GENIE GUI UPDATE...IN FLORIDA

NEW GENIE GUI UPDATE...IN FLORIDA

Has anyone in Florida received the new Genie GUI update yet? Do you know name of the code 0x....? Any ETA on receiving it? Is there a CE being pushed for it? I have the HR54-500 FYI. I ALSO LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, BROWARD COUNTY.

Message 1 of 53
Teacher

Re: NEW GENIE GUI UPDATE...IN FLORIDA

I wonder if direct TV cares. Maybe this is the kind of service to expect since ATT bought Direct.

Message 31 of 53
Teacher

I don't like it. I'm 60 years old and can't read it anymore. The text is smaller and it's lower contrast. I have to get up off my couch to read. I have to buy a new, bigger TV because of it. I was looking for an excuse to get a 4K HDR TV so oh well...

Seriously though, the new interface is horrible. If you drill down far enough in the menus, you end up with the old interface. They haven't updated everything yet. It's as buggy as all get up too. I feel like a beta tester except I have no way to report bugs. I called DirecTV tonight but I couldn't break through the firewall between the people who answer the phone and the technical people. If the techs monitor this, I'm more than willing to help you out. 

Message 32 of 53
Scholar

You don't have a solution yet.  You have no idea when AT&T is going to fix the fiasco they created when they downgraded the great DirecTV interface.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Message 33 of 53
Teacher

when is the restart feature going to be fixed?????

Message 34 of 53

Yes, we received it in Orlando and I absolutely dislike it.  Previously it was easily to set series recording option (all or just new) and now it is not intuitive at all

Message 35 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Juniper Great explanation as usual sir. I think a lot of people just want to vent instead of looking for real answers to their issues. Venting serves it's purpose I suppose, but it does become counterproductive. 

Message 36 of 53
Scholar

Be very thankful you still have access to the old one. Once you see how bad the new one is, you'll be back up here in the "Atrocious GUI" thread.

Message 37 of 53
Scholar

DTV.jpg

This is what you have to look forward too. Enjoy the old menu while you still can.

Message 38 of 53
Voyager

DirecTV should publish a new user guide like the following except for the new GUI: USER GUIDE DIRECTV GENIE & EARLIER HD DVR RECEIVERS.

This old user guide is excellent and thorough, but it has not been updated to describe the new GUI features and interaction.

Message 39 of 53
Tutor

It's not a matter of not liking change, change is a great thing, it's about being able to read the font.  It's too small and doesn't have the contrast as before.  Just fix the font and we can all get used to the format once we can read it!

Message 40 of 53
Teacher

Not sure what you are talking about. I upgraded to the HS-17 in December and mine has 2 GB and 7 tuners. it is also my understanding that it only supports two 4K minis sine they are wired and there are only connections for two on the HS-17.

Message 41 of 53
Teacher

Hi JenValenz,

I think someone else commented about not liking change, not me. I was commenting on not being able to read it. I fixed that problem though...I bought a bigger TV. Now if they could just do something about all the bugs.

Message 42 of 53
ACE - Expert

@mikecurnutt wrote:

Not sure what you are talking about. I upgraded to the HS-17 in December and mine has 2 GB and 7 tuners. it is also my understanding that it only supports two 4K minis sine they are wired and there are only connections for two on the HS-17.

Genie-2 (HS17) has a 2TB hard drive, not 2GB. 7 tuners is hard cap as forbids other HDDVRs. Genie which has 1TB space (HR34, HR44, HR54) and 2 HDDVRs (500GB each since HR22) is 2TB total space, but 9 tuners with potential for more as still allows other HDDVRs. The Genie-2 only supports 2 Clients using a 4K channel (of which there are 2 live and 1 PPV) at a time. 3rd gen Genie (HR54) only supports 1 TV at a time using 4K. The 4K cap is on the channels, not how many Clients may be 4K capable as they can still use the other channels. As 4K is still in the very early days, I suggest regular Genie and HDDVRs for more capability which the Genie-2 forbids.

As for the GUI topic. Yes the HR44, HR54, HS17 (and their connected Clients) receive the new GUI mandatory. However it has come out that a following update will be around shortly which at minimum will be increasing the font of the new GUI. So still a work in progress, but improvements/fixes are about to come out.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 43 of 53

It wasn't sent with any instructions. Is anyone in charge at DirecTV?

Message 44 of 53
Tutor

I received my update last Wednesday.  The UI is ok in some places but overall horrible.  For my senior parents they are having a very hard time navigating even after 2 months of using it.

1)  Color scheme is hard to disseminate one area from another.

2)  Skip 12 hours function has been removed from channel guide

3)  Large tiles in place of folders in the "list recordings" section is very clunky

4)  Whole Home is now partially broken.  The HR24 HD DVR programs don't show up on the Genie "List Recordings" but the Genie programs do show up on the HR24 HD DVR.  All programs show up on the 2 receivers.  Tech came out & was unable to fix it.  Ticket open waiting on a FW fix. 

Message 45 of 53
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support