Explore & discover

Helpful Links

NEW GENIE GUI UPDATE...IN FLORIDA

NEW GENIE GUI UPDATE...IN FLORIDA

Has anyone in Florida received the new Genie GUI update yet? Do you know name of the code 0x....? Any ETA on receiving it? Is there a CE being pushed for it? I have the HR54-500 FYI. I ALSO LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, BROWARD COUNTY.

Message 1 of 53
Scholar

Re: NEW GENIE GUI UPDATE...IN FLORIDA

@Juniper  You are absolutely right!  I upgraded from an HR44 to an HR54 and 4K mini-Genies about two years ago to get 4K compatibility.  Then they upgraded me to a Genie-2 HS17 when I moved.  So the non-4K HR44 gets the downgrade, too.  We got the downgrade to the new software like it or not.  Not happy about that at all.  After 12 years of great service, AT&T really dropped the ball.  Switching to the much, much, much better DISH TV Hopper 3 package for $1.00 more per month.

Message 16 of 53
ACE - Expert

That is your choice. Personally I will not be switching at this time as I still like Directv's service better, and I don't want to pay $10 - $17 per box like Dish charges. And I like my recordings are fully in my control instead of Dish's idea of recording all Primetime for you whether you want to or not. And do not get why Dish charges for changing your programming. Just my preference for now. But I am being very cautious with how things are being handled since AT&T's acquisition.

I do dislike the design of the Genie-2 not using HDDVRs as for a 3 TV household that to me seems a downgrade. 9 tuners down to 7 is not a good idea. I am hoping either there is hidden capability not yet turned on, or that similar to the regular Genie line that the 1st generation just has some limitations and that future models will have the full compatibility.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 53
Scholar

@@juniper An apples for apples comparison of my five 4K TV setup shows:

- $117.76 per month to DirecTV for one 4K Genie-2 HS17-100 with four recorders and 500MB storage, four 4K Genie Minis, one Wireless Genie Mini, and an equipment protection plan on their XTRA pack, HD Extra Pack, Advanced Receiver Service, and three time discounts. 

versus

- $118.88 per month to Dish TV for one 4K Hopper 3 DVR with 16 recorders and 2TB storage, one 4K Joey, two regular Joeys, and an equipment protection plan on their  290 channel setup with no discounts

There appear to be two glaring differences: 

AT&T's forced downgrade to their inflexible software versus Dish TV's award winning extremely flexible software package

AT&T's newest Genie-2 with 1-5 second time delays, two Favorites setups, and 500MB storage versus Dish TV's best anywhere Hopper 3 DVR with no delays, 16 Favorites setups, and 2TB storage.

Message 18 of 53
Scholar

Correction:  My current DirecTV setup includes:

one 4K Genie-2 HS17-100 with seven recorders and 500MB storage, four 4K Genie Minis, one Wireless Genie Mini, and an equipment protection plan on their XTRA pack, HD Extra Pack, Advanced Receiver Service, and three time discounts. 

Message 19 of 53
ACE - Expert

Genie-2 HS17 is 7 tuners and a 2TB hard drive, not 4 tuner, 500MB (drives haven't been in MB since the 90s). Even regular HDDVRs have 500GB (unless HR21 or older). In current state, I would not recommend the Genie-2 because of one key restriction in design. It does NOT work with HDDVRs like a regular Genie.

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) has 5 tuners and a 1TB hard drive. Additional HDDVRs add 2 tuners and 500GB each. So a Genie, 2 HDDVRs, and a C61K for the 4K TV is 9 tuners and 2TB recording space. Only $7 for each additional TV no matter what kind of box it is. You can even add external eSATA hard drives if you really want more space. And unlike Dish which charges a $40 external hard drive activation fee, Directv does not. You just attach whatever hard drive you want: Max 2TB for regular HDDVR, 4TB for Genie (though some users report using up to 12TB successfully with the Genie unofficially)

Up to you if you go to Dish or not. At least go to their website > service agreements > residential agreement > check final page for list of their fees that are not in their advertisements.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 53
Scholar

@Jjuniper  I stand corrected on all counts.  I was misreading a comparison of the HD recording capacity of each DVR, i.e. 500 hours.  I agree with your assessment of the Genie-2:

- It is slow, with a 1-5 second delay to shake hands with the client C61K Mini-Genie's.

- It forfeits Picture-In-A-Picture

- Mine locks up too often, forcing me to reboot it for about 10 minutes, loosing any recordings in progress.

The HR54 Genie is a better, more versatile buy than the Genie-2, even with only 5 tuners.  But why waste money on external hard drives to get up to 2TB when you can do it internally with one Hopper 3, and get 16 built-in tuners?

Just got my first invoice from Dish.  It says that I'm paying:

- America's Top 250 + Local Channels = $79.99 per month (including $5.00 AutoPay savings)

- 1 each Hopper 3 Service = $10.00 per month

- 4 each Joey Receivers = $20.00 per month

- Protection Plan = $8.99 per month (free for first six months)

- FCC Fee, Taxes & Surcharges = $8.89 per month

TOTAL = $118.88

All cable/satellite companies charge a service call fee to fix problems their equipment didn't cause.  But that's what their service protection plans and Best Buy Geek Squad's home entertainment "everything" (else) service contract are for.

Message 21 of 53
Scholar

P.S.  Let's not forget the genesis of our complaints:  The mind numbing, regimented, lockstep, no options, hard to read, multi-step GUI software being forced upon us by AT&T, their refusal to permit customers to revert to the superior prior textual software, and their absolute insistence that there will be no updates.  We are being forced to chose between one-size-fits-all solutions from all knowing big brother AT&T, or looking elsewhere to maintain options of versatility, flexibility, individuality, and independence.

Message 22 of 53
ACE - Expert

The 2TB is only the limit of external drives for a regular HDDVR. The Genie can officially use up to 4TB, but as mentioned other users have been successful going up to 12TB. It is just an option. Personally I prefer each box having its own hard drive and dedicated tuners, that way if one box goes out it wouldn't cause every TV to go down. Historically Dish's protection plan discounted the service call, didn't fully cover it, but perhaps that has changed.

The Genie-2 I feel is more prototype equipment to allow a 2nd TV to use a 4K channel at the same time by sacrificing the other capability of working with regular HDDVRs. They need to resolve the issues with the HS17 and allow it to use regular HDDVRs, which may take a 2nd generation of the Genie-2 line, before I would consider it a good upgrade. Reminds me of the 1st generation Genie (HR34) and improvements that had to be put into the later models.

And a question I have wondered about the Hopper 3: Does it still mandate that some of those 16 tuners are automatically recording Prime Time and cannot be used for anything else? Was big beef I had with the earlier Hopper. I never liked the idea that they force recordings on you and you cannot recover those tuners for your own chosen recordings.

Message 23 of 53
Scholar

@Juniper I just called Dish to relay your question:  "Does [Hopper 3] still mandate that some of those 16 tuners are automatically recording Prime Time and cannot be used for anything else?"  The representative said that automatic Prime Time recording can be deactivated, freeing up all 16 tuners for use however we wish.

Message 24 of 53
ACE - Expert

That is a change. In prior Hoppers you could call and deactivate Prime Time recording, but you couldn't use those tuners for anything else. That is of course if the agent's info was accurate, as with any company what is "said' should always be verified. But thank you for the update. Good luck with your new service. I shall remain with Directv as the setup works better for me, but I will be very cautious of any upgrades per the situation that is the Genie-2.

Message 25 of 53
Tutor

I have been ATT customer for several years and because of it I have signup for DirecTv but it's the biggest mistake I have ever made.

Was promised that the package includes all the channels which I have got with Verizon and for certain fixed price then comes the actual installation day, first of all, they made me wait the whole day and by around 7 PM they installed which were missing my favorite channel. Upon calling the customer care being on call for 2 hours they said they don't the channel which they promised me. In addition to that, they double my price for each cycle. 

I have been trying to get hold of customer service guys but every time they keep me waiting for almost 2 hours and after that, i had to hang up.

Even now while drafting this I'm on hold for 2 hours and still waiting......

Hope they will get my bill fixed instead of charging extra.

Message 26 of 53
Teacher

On October 27, 2016, I received a call from Direct TV offering me a 2-year deal for Direct TV for $50 a month.  I listened to the salesperson.  I cannot remember his name.

It sounded like a great deal.  I signed up for the 2-year(24-month) deal for $50 a month.

On October 31, 2016 Direct TV was installed.  Everything seems to be going fine with my $50 monthly Direct TV bill.  I received my Direct TV bill for January and the bill was in the amount of $95.52.

I called the customer service number on 1/4/2018 and spoke to a female by the name of Alex; Alex could not help me.  She transferred me to I think someone named Paul.  Paul sounded like someone that had been in a deep sleep somewhere.  Plus I could not understand him.  I did read the 24-month service agreement to him.  Paul said he would check into it.  Did not hear anything back.

I called the customer service number on 1/9/2018 and spoke to someone Roel.  Roel was somewhat easy  to understand.  Roel listened to my story; she transferred me to Damion.  I told Damion my situation again.  Damion said he would make note of my situation.  Damion did say it would take 5 – 7 business days.  Really, but the bill of $95.52 has to be paid.

When I signed up for Direct TV, I signed up for Select Programming not Choice Programming.  Damion informed me that Select Programming was not available anymore.

I have honored my 24-month service agreement.  Why is Direct TV / AT&T not honoring the agreement.  Also, in the last month I have had to reset my receiver three (3) times.  No there was no ice or snow on the Direct TV unit outside.

I would like to feel comfortable speaking to a customer service associate when I call the customer service number.  There is always an issue when I have to call the customer service number.  It is very annoying when I am trying to tell my situation; the customer service person I cannot understand.  It is horrible!!!!!!!!!!  I hate to call; lots of my friends have the same issue with customer service from Direct TV / AT&T.

Before Direct TV / AT&T solicits some salesperson to call folks selling deals on the telephone; the salesperson needs to explain the whole plan.  Not just the good part, but what happens afterwards.

I expect some kind of explanation or something to rectify this situation.

Message 27 of 53
Tutor

Yeah it’s the case with me!! I had call so many with hours of waiting to reach supervisor and in mean call get’s disconnected!! It happened 5 times during last week. Sale guy promised me $35+taxes but bill care out to be $80. I don’t know what is wrong with them!!
Message 28 of 53

You really, really, really, don't want it.  Worst system ever designed.

Message 29 of 53
Contributor

Thank you

Message 30 of 53
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support