Explore & discover

Helpful Links

My channels change on their own

Tutor

My channels change on their own

My channels change by themselves, when no one is touching the remote. It records random shows, without being asked to. We will have 5 minutes of one show, or 13 min of another. This is the second time it's started doing this, and they sent us a new receiver last time. Obviously that didn't work. Why is my possessed box changing by itself? How do I get it to stop? We've reset the box multiple times, and that doesn't work.
Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert

Re: My channels change on their own

Are you in an apartment complex or condo complex?

What model Receiver/DVR?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15
Tutor

We live in a house. All of my neighbors have comcast, so I don't think it's picking up someone else's remote. We have an HD DVR receiver. I don't know the model number or anything.
Model HR24-500
Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert

It would help to know the DVR model number.  Look on the rear panel or behind the front panel access card door.  Did your old DVR have this exact same problem?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15
Tutor

Yes. The exact same problem. The new one is HR24-200
Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

Yours is a unique problem.  I'm stumped.  Maybe others will have some ideas.  You're sure there's no remote control stuck in a cushion somewhere?

Message 6 of 15
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes, we only have one remote. We've even taken the batteries out and it would still do it. Customer care said they had never heard of that happening either. Which is why they sent the new receiver. Could it be my TV? We got a new TV recently, so I don't know if that could be it?
Message 7 of 15
ACE - Expert

I don't see how or why your TV would make your DVR do that.  

Message 8 of 15
Tutor

Ok. My husband was working at someone's house yesterday, and there was a service guy there as well. He told the guy about what ours was doing, and he said something about programming the box to the TV. The remote works for both the TV and the box, so I didn't think that was it either. I guess I'll just have to keep deleting the partial recordings, and changing the chanel back. I figure another new receiver would just end up doing the same thing. Thank you for your help.
Message 9 of 15
ACE - Expert

I wouldn't give up that easily.  Your HR24 should not be doing this.  Something is wrong.  I'm just not sure what.   

Was the previous DVR also an HR24?

Message 10 of 15
Tutor

The first was an hr24-500, this is an hr24-200.
Message 11 of 15
ACE - Expert

There is a very obscure problem on some HR24s where RF interference interferes with the touch panel controls. Maybe this could be linked to your issue.

Do you have any other electronics near the HR24? Try moving the HR24 to s slightly different location and see if that helps.

Message 12 of 15
Tutor

I will try that. The receiver is on the TV stand, next to the PS3, the Blu Ray player and the surround sound box. So, that could definitely be it. I'll try and move the receiver away from the others. It's never been an issue before, but who knows. Thank you!
Message 13 of 15
Contributor

I have a 012-700 that started doing this yesterday.  I've reset many times The longest stable time before channels roll again has been two minutes.

Message 14 of 15
Contributor

The blue power lite blinks when the channels change.
Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support