Helpful Links

My GenieGo worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Until now.

Teacher

My GenieGo worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Until now.

All of a sudden the programing stutters badly on all my devices. An iPad, 2 iPhones and a brand new iMac. I'm only using in home right now. It will play for 10 seconds or so then stop for 5-10 seconds and just keep going like that. Nothing has changed on my network other than the addition of the iMac, but it wasn't working before i got that anyway. This thing is unusable unless you download the program to the device. Any ideas what to try. I've tried the obvious stuff, restarting, Genie, GenieGo and the router too. I even updated the firmware on the router. No help.

Message 1 of 35
Expert

Re: My GenieGo worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Until now.

According to your list, you have four devices programmed for the GenieGO.  I assume you have the GenieGO connected by Ethernet cable directly to your router?  If you have a desktop or other computer connected to the router by wire as well, install the GenieGO software there and see how the Instant Play works.  I'd guess that your intermittent playback is due to a faltering Wi-Fi signal between the router and your mobile device.

Message 2 of 35
Teacher

Yes, the GenieGo is connected via ethernet directly to router. And yes everything else is via wifi. What I don't understand is it worked perfectly all summer. I was watching baseball from out in my yard. I will try your idea of connecting the  iMac with ethernet and see what happens. The wifi does show as completely full stregnth signal wherever I go in my house. Does the strength of the signal not necessarily mean a quality signal?

Message 3 of 35
Expert

I recently had a router go south and it showed a strong signals but was repeatedly dropping connections.  I replaced it with the cheapest Linksys router that Best Buy had and end of problem.  Not sure if that is your problem of course.

Message 4 of 35
Mentor

Where it is happening across all devices, I would first point at your wireless network. Choppy is the first symptom of inadequate network bandwidth. Are you broadcasting a wireless N signal or G?  Keep in mind that if you have connected a G device to an N network, it will default your entire network to G speeds which are simply not adequate for HD streaming and barely usable for SD streams.

So, you may want to log into the router and audit your connected devices. Then double check that you don't have a cell phone or something that could be dragging the entire network down.

Message 5 of 35
ACE - Expert

Perhaps a neighbor just activated a new WiFi router that's on the same frequency as yours.  Most WiFi Routers and Access Points are smart enough to move to different channels if they detect interference, but there are only a few channels they can choose from, and sometimes people set their WiFi devices to use a fixed channel.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 35
Teacher

I am on N. All that is connected is my iMac, iPad, 2 iPhone 4S's and a Macbook Pro. As far as I know thew are all wireless N. As someone else said, I have noticed a couple of neighborhood wireless routers coming up lately too. I guess I just have to play around with a combination of these answers and see what works.

Message 7 of 35
Teacher

Ok, I just checked netflix. It streams perfectly on the iMac on the same network. I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet. Now I'm not so sure its my router. I'm still going to go through the other ideas, but this is puzzling. Anyone heard of problems with iOS 7 or OS X Mavericks that could cause my issue? Everything I have is updated to the newest OS.

Message 8 of 35
Employee

I am also running Mavericks and my GenieGo app on my Mac runs flawlessly

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 35
Teacher

Are you wired or wireless?

Message 10 of 35
Employee

Both

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 35
Teacher

Ok, I connected the macbook pro via ethernet. Same playback issue. I took an old Apple TV off the wireless network and hooked to ethernet. No help. I replaced the wire to the GenieGo. No help. I changed what port the GenieGo was connected to. No help. Only thing left is a wired ethernet router that connects the mini genie to a second tv that is old, probably a 10-100 speed. Could that slow the whole thing down? My only problem with that is it was connected previous to my current issue.

Message 12 of 35
Employee

tell us about your network configuration.  Include model numbers

Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 35
Expert

Did you ever install the software on a hard wired computer?  That will tell you if your entire problem is your wireless or whether it's something different. 

Message 14 of 35
Teacher

Yes

Message 15 of 35
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support