Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Mini clients

Highlighted
Explorer

Mini clients

How many mini clients can an HS17-100 support? If I get another tv, and wish to add a mini client to support it, will I need another directv remote? I currently have 4 clients, one of which is 4K capable.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by patjones
‎01-29-2019 1:31 PM

Re: Mini clients

8 clients is the max and yes you need another remote.  AFAIK only seven at a time can be streaming live TV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Explorer

Thanks much for the info and quick response.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

You are welcome.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

Genie-2 (HS17) can pair to 8 Clients, but only 7 can be in use at most.

Only up to two 4K Clients can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Forbids HDDVRs so is hard capped at 7 tuners and 100 series limit.

Regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) can pair with 8 Clients, only 3 Clients may be in use at one time, leaving 2 tuners to the main Genie (has 5 total) so can use the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature.

The 3rd generation Genie (HR54) can have 1 Client using a 4K channel at a time.

All regular Genies allow HDDVRs, which each having their own 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, 50 series limits, and independent processing.

To compare, Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners and 200 series limits which is more than the Genie-2 can reach.

No difference in monthly cost between HDDVR and Client.

If your Genie-2 works for you, then great. However I fully support that a regular Genie with full HDDVRs, perhaps with a 4K Client mixed in if you really want the 2 channels in 4K, is the most reliable overall setup. I personally find the Genie-2 too restrictive by design being a Client only system.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support