Loud Squeak with HR44 Dolby Digital

Tutor

Loud Squeak with HR44 Dolby Digital

I just upgraded to the HR44 and enabled Dolby Digital.  Upon doing so, I notice a loud squeak every time I resume from pause.  I can stop this by going to PCM, but that puts me back into stereo only.  Has anyone else encountered this or have a solution to this to keep using 5.1 via dolby digital?

Thanks,

Tre

Message 1 of 21
Administrator

Re: Loud Squeak with HR44 Dolby Digital

Software issue with the boxes.  Pace screwed up on something, when they helped Direct write the software for the HR44 series.  Even worse is when you first turn on your AVRS, you do not get DD, you only get at most of the time DTS NEO 6 on most, due to bad handshaking with the receiver and AV Receivers.

Now of course Direct's fix, is for everyone to start using Toslink or Digital Coax vs. HDMI for DD from their hardware.

Message 2 of 21
Tutor

I should have mentioned that I'm already using digital coax so it is beyond just hdmi. I can't use hdmi because my receiver does not accept that and I only have two tos links which are used from devices without digital coax. I need to find an inexpensive tos link splitter that doesn't degrade the beam. Tried some an no joy.

Message 3 of 21
Expert

Do you have a sound system or are you using the TV's speakers?

Message 4 of 21
Tutor

Surround sound

Message 5 of 21
ACE - Expert

What brand/model AV Surround Receiver?  You might need to change the AV Receiver's "Dolby Digital" decoding settings so that you don't get the "squeal" when the surround audio mode changes. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 21
Tutor

It's an older Yamaha and I thought the Dolby digital on the system was fully automatic but I will check that out.

Message 7 of 21
ACE - Expert

You might also check out the relevant thread for your model Yamaha AVR in the "AV Receiver Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 21
Administrator

Message 9 of 21
Administrator

You should warn them to not register there.  The mods over at AVS get a little too God like, and tend to ban people if they think you are there to cause trouble, even if you are asking questions, or in the cases that involve electrical problems, they ban the professionals that straighten out the lies from the truth and have banned them.

Curtpalme.com & http://www.hometheatershack.com/ are probably the better ones, and not so bad on making new people unwelcome, or banning people, when the long term regulars over there want to start playing God trip games.

Message 10 of 21
Tutor

I've tried and returned that because it is incompatible with my system

Message 11 of 21
Administrator

Which one? That way if this comes up again, or someone searches, they will know.

Message 12 of 21
Tutor

Sorry about that, the first one is the one that didn't work.  It's been a bit since I tried it, but it dims the light enough so that it does not work anymore.

Message 13 of 21
Tutor

I'm about to go to that site to dig around, but I found this out:

When I resume on a dolby channel, the directv sends a PCM auto to the receiver first, then the directv sends the dolby signal and then the receiver switches over, that switch is what causes the squeak.  When I pause, all audio signal is cut and the receiver goes in the blind and resets to no signal.

The receiver only seems to handle the dolby signal automatically.  I'll dig around some more.

Message 14 of 21
Administrator

That is probably why we are seeing the DTS Neo:6 when switching on the AV recievers, while the DVR or STB is on, or when switching off the AV Receiver, to go back to using the Sound bar, the DVR or STB is still on, and no audio, until you power cycle the DVR or STB off, then back on.

If only Direct & Pace would listen, or even realize that this as you stated is happening, and fix the software so that you did not have to go through extra steps, to get Dolby Digital output on the AV Receiver through HDMI, or audio through a Soundbar, as how I have mine connected through the TV.

It is a hic-up that you learn to deal with, but really we should not have it, and expected when we took the service in our homes, that there would not be any problems like this.  Same with some HD sets not fully compatible with HDMI to the Clients, DVR's or STB's, so you end up having to use the Component cables to feed the source to the HDTV instead.

Message 15 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support