Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of video bridge connection to wireless mini's

Tutor

Loss of video bridge connection to wireless mini's

I replaced my HR34/700 receiver and all of my wireless mini's show loss of video bridge connection. I tried to add them again but the screen to add the pin doesn't come up. I have reset the receiver and video bridge but still same message of loss of video bridge on the mini's. Any ideas to fix this.

Message 1 of 28
Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Expert)
Accepted by peds48
‎08-27-2016 5:12 PM

Re: Loss of video bridge connection to wireless mini's

You need to reset the Wireless Video Bridge by pressing & holding the red button in the back for 15 seconds. After that you need to reset the wireless clients 

First, when a Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) is not detected in Survey Mode by the C41W, the accompanying OSD has been modified to remove the display of Signal Strength bars and Signal Quality. The text providing steps for putting the Genie server into Add Client mode are also clarified for the user.
There’s also a new OSD that displays when the C41W loses signal after pairing with a WVB. The OSD explains that the connection to the WVB has been lost, and provides the option to Troubleshoot.
When the Troubleshoot button is selected, a new screen appears with several steps to troubleshoot the issue. If those steps are unsuccessful and the Repeat Setup button is selected, a warning will appear with Error Code 928. The text explains that the connection to the Wireless Video Bridge is about to be reset and to call Customer Care for instructions on how to proceed.
When you encounter the Reset Wireless Connection screen in situations where the Genie server was replaced and you need to reset the wireless connection, you should enter the code “9876” via the DIRECTV remote on the Reset Wireless Connection screen. This will erase the pairing to the WVB and return you to the installation process.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 28
Tutor

Awesome post. That solved my problem. Now I can cancel my tech visit to the house next Tuesday. Why aren't the people with dtv this smart where they can help you. Thanks

Message 3 of 28
Expert

You are most welcome.

Message 4 of 28
Contributor

We installed an HR44 today and WVB has a steady green light. Do not know why it isn't blue but none of our minis have a signal. Need help. 

Message 5 of 28
Contributor

I just went through this same problem when I replaced the receiver - the "wireless" tv had an error message (928) that said "wireless connection lost".  When I hit Troubleshoot, you get to the reset connection page that has a little blue box and the lower right corner.  There are no directions what to do here other than call customer service, but if you type in "9876" and then hit the "dash" button on the remote, it starts the initiation of the connection to the wireless video bridge.  At that point you have to go back to the receiver tv and click through to the Whole Home pages to Add Clients with a four digit code.  When prompted on the "wireless" tv, add that code and you should be done.  Beware of inept customer service people who don't know how to do this as a woman tried to convince me that I had to have a technician come to the house and replace the wireless video bridge at my expense for the visit and the equipment.  At best, they need to add the additional steps to the troubleshoot page; at worst, this is a scam to generate income with tech visits.

Message 6 of 28
Contributor

Wow, I appreciate this information so much. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Direct TV tech support and accomplished nothing so I scheduled a tech home visit for for $99. In desperation I copied the Direct TV error message into a search engine and found this post. 45 minutes later I have all four of my TVs up and running. So happy now. THANKS!

Message 7 of 28
Contributor

WVB Status: Not Found. Network Name: DIRECTV...

No equipment has been changed. How do I reconnect?

Message 8 of 28
Tutor

Re: How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

Just replaced our DirecTV Genie DVR due to HDD Failure. During the attempt to reconnect the Genie-Mini's, ran into the 928 error code, called Technical Support: among resets of the Genie, attempts at entering code 9876 would not get any response. Luckily, we were able to get a technician out under our Support Agreement. At first he also had trouble, then tried a different set of steps. Turns out the Software (Mini) has been updated and the required steps for entering 9876 on your unit may have changed . . . see Step 5. below, italicysed content.

Simple steps:
1. Reset WVB, ensure that the status light is a solid green before proceeding
2. Unplug all wireless genie mini's
3. Follow process to add wireless devices to WVB and get your personal 4-digit access code (you will need to enter this on all your genie mini devices)
4. Plug wireless genie mini's in and wait for on-screen display. If you get the "Wireless Connection Lost" error message, select "More Info"
5. If error code 928 is displayed, type in code: 9876 -> Enter (button, not 'Select') -> Dash (- Button)

5.a. Next steps MAY be different, should be similar, continuing should be fairly intuitive.
6. Wait for mini to reset and reconnect to WVB. Attempting to connect to video bridge... should be displayed. The status light on the mini should turn green once it reconnects.
7. Key in your personal 4-digit access code when prompted and select Add a New Location
8. Enter a name for your wireless location and then select Watch DIRECTV
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for each genie mini
10. Return to main Genie TV and select DONE on the Add Clients screen
11. All wireless mini's that are ON should have solid green network LED. After 1-2 minutes, the WVB LED should display a solid blue

Message 9 of 28
Tutor

My connection keeps dropping but then reconnects 5 seconds later.  I unplugged the wvb yesterday and restarted but it's still having the same issues.  Happens a few times an hour

Message 10 of 28
Contributor

Same! We called ATT/Direct TV and they insisted we needed a tech and to agree to the $99 fee. LAME! So, I googled our issue and found this-after an hour we had our genies up and running. F-U ATT scammers! Thank you nice regular people for posting this how to fix Smiley Happy 

Message 11 of 28

Thank you for providing this solution!  I was going to have to set up an appointment for help.  It is a shame that their employees are not given this information or trained to troubleshoot the problem fully. 

Message 12 of 28
Contributor

I have 2 genies one has no problem connecting and is one floor two of home the one closet to the main box won' turn green. I don' know what to do

Tags (2)
Message 13 of 28
Contributor

What happens if you do installation process, I'm scared that trying to fix the one broken box I have will mess up both boxes. 

Message 14 of 28
Contributor

I am trying to reconnect all of this like it says but my genie mini is not responding to its controller. I cannot hit more info or connect now because my TV remote is no longer connected to the mini genie. Can I get some help with this 

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support