Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Looking to get back into DirecTV from Comcast. Deciding which way to go on DVRs

Mentor

Looking to get back into DirecTV from Comcast. Deciding which way to go on DVRs

I was a DirecTV customer for 17 years, and a year ago, I switched to Comcast and got 2 TiVo Bolts. I am very unhappy with this switch for many reasons, and am looking to switch back to DirecTV, but am trying to decide which way to go.

My situation:

I have 1 4K TV, and 3 other TVs (not 4K).

I keep the DVRs in one room and direct the output of the DVRs to the other TVs via HDMI. I live alone and work at home, usually about 3 of the TVs are on most of the day with the same recorded show playing back on all 3 TVs at the same time.

When I was with DirecTV, I had 3 DVRs using Whole Home and recorded a lot of shows on the DVRs. My need is for several tuners to support all the recording, not necessarily for a lot of disk space. I need at least 6 tuners.  I don't have a need for minis (clients); I will only be using one DVR directly to an HDMI switcher.

My questions: can I have 2 HR44s running as DVRs? HR54s?

I have seen info about issues (bugs) with HR54s. Is that still true?

If not HR54, are the HR44s reliable?

Thanks for any information.

Ken

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Master

Re: Looking to get back into DirecTV from Comcast. Deciding which way to go on DVRs

one genie

hr44 9is a genie, hr54 is a genie

they have 5 tuners each

the hr54. or hs17, is required for 4k to a mini

ONLY a c61k mini will output 4k.

the hs17 has 7 tuners, and no output, it must use a mini

if you want 6 tuners and one dvr, the hs17 is your choice

you can add 2 tuner hr24 dvrs to a system that has an hr54

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Explorer

Re: Looking to get back into DirecTV from Comcast. Deciding which way to go on DVRs

I have a HR44 (genie), HR24, and a HR21P and I'm pretty happy with them.  (9 tuners)

With whole home, they can share recordings.

The only problem may be finding/activating the older HR24 (HR2x) type receivers.

The HR21Ps were considered owned, I bought mine off of ebay & activated it years ago.

The other HR2x receivers are considered leased, and DirecTv was not keen on activating/reactivating them.

The software on the HR44/54 had issues when the new GUI was introduced, but it's getting better.

You can only have 8 tuners on a regular SWM system.  I have a swm-16 (or something like that), it has (2) outlets,

8 tuners each, the genie is on one side, the other receivers are on the other, the SWM supports shareing between the 2 ports/connections.

Also a AM21 on my HR44 and HR24...

Message 3 of 13
ACE - Master

@gary245 wrote:

I have a HR44 (genie), HR24, and a HR21P and I'm pretty happy with them.  (9 tuners)

With whole home, they can share recordings.

The only problem may be finding/activating the older HR24 (HR2x) type receivers.

The HR21Ps were considered owned, I bought mine off of ebay & activated it years ago.

The other HR2x receivers are considered leased, and DirecTv was not keen on activating/reactivating them.

The software on the HR44/54 had issues when the new GUI was introduced, but it's getting better.

You can only have 8 tuners on a regular SWM system.  I have a swm-16 (or something like that), it has (2) outlets,

8 tuners each, the genie is on one side, the other receivers are on the other, the SWM supports shareing between the 2 ports/connections.

Also a AM21 on my HR44 and HR24...

the newer lnbs support 21 tuners

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Mentor

Thanks Gary. One of the reasons I gave up DirecTV a year ago was the frustration with HR2x's and having to replace them so often. Now, DirecTV believes that every customer can get by with a single Genie. If I am reading the responses above correctly, In order to get at least 6 tuners, I need to have an HR54, which requires paying for the Premium package that includes 1 4K channel (I don't watch sports and probably won't make use of PPV).

I feed the HDMI through an HDMI splitter which will downgrade the 4K signal, since no HDMI splitter will keep a 4K signal intact unless all the TVs attached are 4K (mine aren't).

Or, I could get an HR44 and at least one HR2x, which is what I got away from last year. Back to where I was.

ken

Message 5 of 13
Explorer

I think the HR-54 can only record 5 shows at once. I think the additional SWiM tuners it can use are to support 4K on 4K clients?

(More bandwidth required for 4K)

I prefer the Genie & HR24s, if one receiver/Hard drive dies, I have others that still work.

In some cases I record the same show on 2 different receivers as 'backup'.

If all you have is a Genie & Clients, then if the Genie fails, then you have no working DirecTv.

Message 6 of 13
Mentor

Thanks for pointing that out, Gary. This eliminates DirecTV.

Currently, I have 8 tuners with Comcast and my 2 TiVos. I'm going to stick with that until I figure something else out.

Ken

Message 7 of 13
Explorer

in my setup I can record 9 at once

HR44 (5)

HR24 (2)

HR21P (2)

Message 8 of 13
Mentor

Right. And having to replace HR24's every couple of months was why I left DirecTV last year.

Ken

Message 9 of 13
ACE - Master

@kenkipnes wrote:

Right. And having to replace HR24's every couple of months was why I left DirecTV last year.

Ken

if you have to replace the hr24 every couple of months there is in issue on your end

the do not go bad that often.

Message 10 of 13
Mentor

And you know this how?

I had 3 HR24's going until they upgraded one of them to an HR34, then to an HR44. So, my configuration was

HR44

HR24

HR24

I work from home and they are recording constantly and I watch recordings all day, all week. The DVRs get a workout. Using old, outdated, "refurbished", HR24's puts them to the test. DirecTV technicians agreed. But, they had no solution other than to feed me new, "refurbished" HR24's. Ugh. Adding the HR44 slowed that cycle down a bit because of the 5 tuners, and I was using an HR24 to watch from. But, one of the HR24's went bad and then the other one, and I gave up.

ken

Message 11 of 13
ACE - Master

mine gets a workout.  as the wife is also home all day and records everything

its over 5 years old

if they go bad that often, i could be a heat probelm(in a cabinet) power issue on your end, ect

think about it, its just a pc. they are made to run/record/play 24/7

sure an hdd can go bad, but just like a pc it should net be every few months

Message 12 of 13
Mentor

None of my electronics are in a cabinet.

Perhaps, rather than a "problem on my end", it might be that you were lucky enough to get a new, or a "refurbished" HR24 in much better shape, than I have been able to get. It's really potluck. I gave DirecTV a 17 year shot. I think I was a good sport.

ken

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support