Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Local channel pixilation

Teacher

Local channel pixilation

Is anyone else having pixilation issues with the local channels in the Washington, DC area?

Message 1 of 15
Tutor

Re: Local channel pixilation

Yes, having the problem with local DC and non-local DC channels as well.  Tried to reboot Genie but it didn't help.  

Message 2 of 15
Teacher

I called DirecTv and complained. If everyone did this, maybe they would fix
the problem promptly.
--
Sent from my IPhone
Message 3 of 15
Employee

I have the same issue - DC Local pixelization.  I called in and was told this is an issue with the SW on the receiver.  But rebooting didn't clear it so they have to put in a ticket with engineering so they can kick off the sw upgrade process on your box.  Front line support can't do this so it may take up to 48 hours to get the new SW. 

I'll report back if/when resolved.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
Teacher

Thanks for the info. What exactly is the SW on our receivers? Funny that I
called tech support twice and never got this response 😬
--
Sent from my IPhone
Message 5 of 15
Employee

Currently my HR54/500 shows 0x1112 as the SW version. (Menu/settings/info&test). If you have a different receiver this may not match.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 15
Tutor

I called technical support today and talked to the technical support person and her supervisor.  Neither was willing to admit this is caused by SW.  Sending a technician to my location (Southern MD) to troubleshoot the problem.  Was NOT impressed with the technical support person's knowledge.  Supervisor seemed to have a better grasp of the technical side of things.

FYI, my Genie is an HR 44/500 with SW version 0x1112 installed on 11/14.

Message 7 of 15
Teacher

I personally do not believe this is a software issue. I think it has
something to do with DirecTv’s Satellite that is transmitting our local
channels.
--
Sent from my IPhone
Message 8 of 15
Tutor

Does anyone know which satellite and transponder DTV uses for the Washington DC local channels?

Message 9 of 15
Tutor

barrydrucker

Are you still having having pixilation issues with the local channels in the Washington, DC area?  It seems like the problem has basically gone away for me over the last few days.  Don't know if DTV did anything to the satellite signal but for now it seems to be working ok. 

Message 10 of 15
Teacher

The problem cleared up a few days ago.
--
Sent from my IPhone
Message 11 of 15
ACE - Expert

Yes, it was not a software issue. DirecTV does not tell you what the problem was and how it was resolved but since it affected all the DC local stations it was probably a problem in the Local Receive Facility that takes the OTA channels and sends them via uplink to the satellites, or it was an uplink issue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 15
Tutor

Thanks for the info, makes sense to me. 

I had checked the signal strength for the transponder spot feed for DC and didn't appear to be a signal strength issue.  

Had a tech visit scheduled for later this week that I just cancelled.

Message 13 of 15
Employee

Cleared up for me too, probably Friday.  SW is still same on the box so I'd agree it was a local signal pickup/delivery issue.  If I get a chance I'll call back in and see if I can get more info and check the status of the eng ticket.

Out of curiosity, which satellite/transponders correspond to the DC locals?

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 15
Tutor

While doing an internet search I found a website that contained an excel spreadsheet which showed the different satellites and what transponders were used by different channels.  Sorry, I can't recall the website,  but the file I downloaded was titled TPN_map_Domestic.  Not an expert by any means but it looked to me like the spot beam for DC was on satellite 99(s) on transponder #15.  At least that was my best guess.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support