Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Issues with Remote and Receiver

Tutor

Issues with Remote and Receiver

We recently installed a new receiver.  It replaced an old receiver and is installed the same way as the previous one.

The problem is we cannot get a remote to work with it.

When we first installed it, the remote worked for awhile - a few hours  - but it was sticking and you had to keep pressing the buttons multiple times.  

I spent quite a bit of time with tech support.  We changed the batteries multiple times.  We reset the receiver multiple times.  Sometimes, the remote will work a couple times after the reset but then dies again.  We tried to recode to the TV multiple times - that did not work.

The remote controller is a brand new one.  Direct TV wanted to send a new remote but we had another new remote for an additional receiver that we never installed.  We tried that one and got the exact same problem.  Tried to recode to TV, reset receiver, etc...

Having a hard time believing we could have 2 bad brand new remotes.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix????

Message 1 of 28
Expert

Re: Issues with Remote and Receiver

One possibility is IR interference from the TV or other source such as a fluorescent light.  You can test this by setting the receiver to a particular channel (note the channel number).  Go to the TV and turn it off.  Then use the remote and press the channel up button two times.  Then turn the TV back on.  Did the channel change as instructed?  If so, with the TV on, try the channel up button again.  Did it falter?  If so the TV is likely causing IR interference.  A piece of blue painters tape over the receivers IR eye will desensitize it.  The best cure is to set the remote and receiver to RF operation if you have HD and RF remotes.

Note that it really helps if you provide the receiver model numbers and other technical info..

Message 2 of 28
Tutor

I will try what you suggest but here is the info for the receiver. it is an HD receiver, H21-200, ID # 029388529942.
A little more Info - It is one of 2 receivers. The other one works fine. Both receivers are on a boat. The old receiver was the same exact model number. The boat came with 4 receivers. We only installed 2. Then, the one receiver broke so we replaced it with one of the receivers we were not using.
Message 3 of 28
ACE - Expert

Swap over the two receivers and see if the problem goes with the receiver or stays in the room...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 28
Scholar

Make sure the receiver is back into IR mode, since you do not have any RF remotes, with receiver in IR mode, test all IR codes from 00001 through 00008:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1, if not try code 00002, and so on
and if no success try this.

1. repeat (step 1 above)
2. repeat (step 2 above)
3. enter 981. it will blink 4 times instead of 2

then go back to see if it works with code 00001

Message 5 of 28
Tutor

I have tried everything and get the same results.  Most times when I reset the receiver and use all the codes and procedures you provided, it works for awhile.  And yes, I do have an RF remote and when I do the set up, I get all the lights to blink correctly.

But once I turn off everything and come back later - sometimes a day or two, the remote no longer works.   In most cases the receiver has gone into power saving mode and I have to call Directv to get the signal sent to start up again (another really annoying attribute of this system), then reset the receiver, enter all the codes, etc etc etc and by that time the show I want to watch is over.  We use this system on our boat so I can't leave the satellite on 24/7 - that is not an option.

Can you please let me know what else I can possibly try????

Thank you,

Joan Delaney

Message 6 of 28
Contributor

you can try to turn off the power save mode. on the remote press the menu button than scroll down to setting and help press select than select setting than scroll down to the power save option and press select and select the off option.

Message 7 of 28
Tutor

Thanks for the tip.  I will try when I go back to the boat.  But this assumes I can get the remote to start working again....

I have 2 receivers on the boat - one works fine with its remote and this one doesn't. 

This just makes no sense. 

Message 8 of 28
Mentor

Well there seems to be an issue with the receiver so it does make perfect sense, now what I suggest to have you do is:

try these remotes on the other receiver(IF IT IS A DIRECTV BRAND) and see if they work, if they do then the issue is the receiver and if this is the case then do a reset everything on the receiver these are the steps

menu

Settings & Help

Settings

Reset

Reset everything

Then press the dash button

Hope this works..........

Message 9 of 28
Contributor

Sorry I cannot help, as I am having the same issue. Two remotes, both with new batteries. The remote works after a reset, then stops working. Interesting thing is that I can still control the receiver using the iPad Directv app remote feature.

A couple of months ago I was having this issue and had DirecTV swap out the receivers. Same issue. Thea receiver is an HR 22 and one of three connected through Whole Home. No issues with other two receivers. Only in this one room.

Ideas anyone? This is a pain.

Message 10 of 28
Tutor

Hi - I finally got things to work.

What I had to do was reset the receiver and then initiate the set up menu and process directly from the receiver, not the remote.

At some point in the setup process it directed me to set up the remote with the proper codes, which I did, and now the problem is gone.  Before I was just using the remote to go through the setup process.  Each time that resulted in the problem you describe - Works for awhile, then it doesn't. 

Also, I used the setup menu on the receiver to turn off the power saving mode.  Don't know if that was part of the problem or not.

Don't ask me why all this worked but it did.  (I have the RF remote)

Message 11 of 28
Tutor

Forgot one thing  - I also had to use the menu on the receiver to set the remote to RF - It's in the settings menu somewhere.  That was the only way I could get the remote to stay in RF mode.  That was also a part of my problem...

Message 12 of 28
Employee

It appears that you are having IR interference from your TV.  you a have two options.  First, is to set up your remote for RF (if you have and RF remote) if you dont have an RF remote, you can try sticking a piece of blue painters tape over the IR sensor of the HDDVR

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 28
Employee

switching to RF most likely solved the problem for you.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 28
Contributor

Success! Thanks so much for the fix. Smiley Happy

By the way, my remote was in RF mode when I was having the problem. The setup must have been the trick.

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support