Is the DECA needed for Whole Home when I already have Ethernet?

Teacher

Is the DECA needed for Whole Home when I already have Ethernet?

I want to get rid of the DECA boxes on one, or both ends because I recently ran an Ethernet cable to my home entertainment center.  I would like to be able to just plug in the Ethernet to the back of the DVR.  Can I do this and still use Whole Home sharing of recorded DVR programs, or does this require the DECA boxes?  I really want to get rid of these extra wires and things to plug in.

Message 1 of 58
ACE - Expert

Re: Is the DECA needed for Whole Home when I already have Ethernet?

You could, but it's not supported, and it's not recommended. DECA coax networking keeps the Whole Home DVR video streaming traffic off of your home network.  With DECA coax networking, the DVRs only use your home network for internet access (e.g. OnDemand downloads).   Best to leave it alone. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 58
Teacher

Thanks litzdog.  The ethernet portion of the DECA stopped working, which is another reason I got frustrated with these things.  The DVRs can see each others recordings, and all 3 lights are green on both.  Is there any reason to use the Ethernet ports on the DECA?  I am thinking to run my standard Ethernet to the DVR instead of via the DECA, and use the DECA only for sharing recordings.  Maybe I have a defective DECA unit.

Message 3 of 58
Expert

What you propose will not work.  The DECA system that shares recordings in the Whole Home system uses the Ethernet circuits within the receivers.  If you connect an Ethernet cable to any receiver (except the HR#4) it will disable the DECA system.

Message 4 of 58
Mentor

litzdog911 and dcd are correct about not supported. I'll play devils advocate. I do not use DECA and technically speaking using your home Ethernet will be better in the long run. When I first got Whole-home I had to convince DirecTV to turn on the Whole-Home because the tech insisted it wouldn't work. When it did they were astonished and wonder what wizardry I had concocted. Long story short, if your house is wired, Ethernet is much easier to deal with then DECA.

Message 5 of 58
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by sirkgm14vg 

litzdog911 and dcd are correct about not supported. I'll play devils advocate. I do not use DECA and technically speaking using your home Ethernet will be better in the long run. When I first got Whole-home I had to convince DirecTV to turn on the Whole-Home because the tech insisted it wouldn't work. When it did they were astonished and wonder what wizardry I had concocted. Long story short, if your house is wired, Ethernet is much easier to deal with then DECA.

Not true.  Using DECA will keep the Whole Home video streaming traffic off of your home ethernet network.   So why would using purely ethernet be "better"?   And DECA uses the already existing satellite cables, so no extra cables are needed.  What could be simpler?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 58
Expert

And, possibly most importantly, some of the currently available set top boxes have no Ethernet port, so "in the long run" you're better off with a standard conventional supported Whole Home DVR system using the DECA system.  If excessive cables etc were a problem, if you put together a system composed of HR34, HR24 and C31, you wouldn't need any DECA modules at all and each set top box would have but a single cable, except the HR34 which would have the coax signal cable plus the Cat5 Ethernet cable to connect the system to the router.

Message 7 of 58
Mentor

If Ethernet ports are disappearing on the new boxes, that's a problem in itself. However, if you only using DECA to switch traffic between the set top boxes, it seems like a little bit of a waste since you already have the wiring for Ethernet. It's also an addition power cord (I don't think the new ones need power adapter... correct me if I'm wrong). Since you are eventually routing traffic across your network, you're only adding another network to the mix. It would be better if your Set Top Boxes, iOS devices and Media Share devices were all on the same network and subnet. With the DECA setup it just exposes a single point of failure and same goes for RVU (even though I prefer to have RVU...

That's why I said it's better.

Message 8 of 58
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by sirkgm14vg 

If Ethernet ports are disappearing on the new boxes, that's a problem in itself. However, if you only using DECA to switch traffic between the set top boxes, it seems like a little bit of a waste since you already have the wiring for Ethernet. It's also an addition power cord (I don't think the new ones need power adapter... correct me if I'm wrong). Since you are eventually routing traffic across your network, you're only adding another network to the mix. It would be better if your Set Top Boxes, iOS devices and Media Share devices were all on the same network and subnet. With the DECA setup it just exposes a single point of failure and same goes for RVU (even though I prefer to have RVU...

That's why I said it's better.

You don't understand how DECA works.  First, no extra power cord is required.   Second, because the Whole Home DVR video streaming traffic is carried by the DECA network using the existing satellite coax cables, there is NO network traffic on your home ethernet network.   In your approach the WHDVR network traffic can cause issues with the performance of your home network.   Why take that risk?   It's absolutely NOT true that "it would be better if your set top boxes, .....   were all on the same network", at least not in the case of WHDVR video sharing.   

Message 9 of 58
Mentor

I did indicate that there isn't a extra power cord needed. Initially when DECA was shown to me it did have it. Hence my parenthetical statement... I also indicated that by having the DECA Network you are also using an Ethernet cable to hook this into your network? No? Does one not need your DECA connected to your network to view DVR Playlists on your iPad?

There might not be switched traffic on your home network, but since most people buy a router, which is a switch, router and sometimes access point if they have WiFi the traffic, eventually you will have the DECA on your network, and it will be using layer 3 traffic. I seriously doubt any home DVR system is chatty enough to decrease the performance of one's home network. I could see maybe on a WiFi network, but definitely not on home Ethernet. I can share throughput results for DirecTV Video streaming and there is no way it goes more than Fast Ethernet and definitely not a Gigabit connection.

So to answer the OP's original question, the DirecTV can be wired into a standard IP Network with Ethernet, and still have the same features of Whole-Home without the use of DECAs.

Message 10 of 58
ACE - Expert

Viewing the DVR Playlists on your iPad has nothing to do with Whole Home DVR video streaming.   iPad access is provided by the CCK, which bridges the DECA coax network to your home ethernet network.    

Feel free to believe what you will.  I'll just close by again pointing out the DirecTV does not support using ethernet for Whole Home DVR sharing.  And, as was previously mentioned, some of the newer Receivers don't even have an ethernet port.  

Message 11 of 58
Mentor

I feel like your insistent on just believing what DirecTV lists in the manual. I thought forums in general for sharing information that you might not get in the manual. DirecTV may not support Whole-Home networking without DECA, but that's the same way Comcast or Verizon don't support the Router you hook up at home. Doesn't mean it doesn't work the way I have explained. In fact, iPad Access is not provided by anything. As long as your DVR is on the same network as your iPad you should be able to view the Playlists through the DirecTV app for iPad.

The CCK is a way to connect the DECA Coax setup to your Wireless Network. Which by the way you said the same thing I said, the DECA network eventually is on your home network anyways.

This wasn't about being right or wrong, its about sharing information. And not everyone wants "extra" equipment just because that's the way DirecTV wants you to set it up. The OP knows that it's not supported, but if it works and provides the same end result either way, then I don't see any issue at all... I'm here to help just like you.

Message 12 of 58
Expert

Quote:  I don't see any issue at all... I'm here to help just like you.

You're ignoring the fact that some of the newer boxes don't have an Ethernet port.  Say a user has a system consisting of a HR24 HD DVR and a H24 HD receiver, and both are hard wired to the router and he has a solid working Whole Home system.  Then the H24 blows and Directv CSR sends a replacement and it happens to be a H25.  Ohoh, goodbye Whole Home, the H25 has no Ethernet port.

Now if you as an informed and innovative user wish to take that smallish risk, you're welcome to it.  In fact, one of the guys that wears a icon on these forums runs a router based system.  However, to publish a suggestion that falls outside supported configuration as well as one that has a glaring fault (the possible lack of Ethernet port) then I figure we need to point out the differences to any potential user.

Message 13 of 58
Mentor

So be it that the H25 doesn't have an Ethernet port, but I believe it's the minority. I believe, and you correct me if I'm wrong but a majority of the DVRs have an Ethernet port. The Genie HR 34 and 44 both have it... What bothers me the most is that I'm being told I'm incorrect about how the system works. Why should someone come to the forums if they are going to get the same rhetoric as they would in the tech docs...Specifically for this particular post, the OP would like to not use DECA. I do not use DECA. I'm a DirecTV subscriber, I have no issues. All my DVRs have an Ethernet Port. Matter of fact I plan on getting the HR-34 and HR-44, both a believe are newer than the HR-25 and have Ethernet ports.

So I'll go back to what I originally said that networking your DVRs to your home network, without DECA will not impede performance on a Fast Ethernet or Gigabit network.

I'm really taking aback by the fact that knowledge sharing is discouraged...At least that's what I feel I'm getting from you two.

Message 14 of 58
Mentor

DirecTV engineers their STB to be Ethernet Ready. The reason why is because the DirecTV Apps and Media Share use standard IP methods for communicating. It's one of the cool things I discovered some years back. What's even more interesting is DirecTV has both IPTV Capability and also uses IP Control. For example if you are in a college dorm, you can actually run DirecTV over IP. This isn't the case at home. Only IP Control is implemented and it's awesome, especially those who have home automation.

So what does that exactly mean? Take a look at this article: http://www.openremote.org/display/knowledge/Controlling+DirecTV+DVR+via+ethernet

Given the DECA Setup where the DirecTV DVRs are on their own network, this might not be as straightforward as having your DVRs wired to your Router or Switched network. However removing the DECA eliminates that and places the devices on the same network. The biggest problem is that network is magic to most folks. Even folks that "know" what they are doing still will get stumped when it doesn't work as expected (that's where the forums come in....). I rather explain to remove the DECA then how to do static routes.

DirecTV uses this same technology to control the DVR via your iPad app by sending HTTP commands with the correctly formed URL.

In the future I'd be sure to explain to folks about advanced setups are unsupported, but I think folks already have gotten "use DECA" from DirecTV CSRs... Maybe they would like to try something else.

Message 15 of 58
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support