Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Mentor

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Hey everybody. I'm coming up on 2 yrs with DirecTV and I have the Premier Protection Plan which means I'm eligible for upgrading my equipment at some point. Current equipment is HR54-200 and four add'l receivers.. C41 wired client, two C51 wireless clients, and one C61 4K client going to (obviously) a 4K TV. Now then, I signed up for D*TV in Nov 2015 and at the time, HR54 was brand new, as was the 4K offering(s). What I'm trying to figure out - and having trouble deciphering - is whether there is any value in upgrading from HR54 to the Genie 2? When I spoke to the D*TV agent he didn't seem very informed and kept saying what I have is fine. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is whether my dish/LNB needs to be updated. It's from early on when 4K was just supported. I'm not even sure how to definitely tell what I have or what's most recent, or even whether it would get upgraded alongside a DVR upgrade. The agent was absolutely clueless when it came to the dish/LNB. My focus is on improvements such as more 4k channels, future proofing, the ability for more than 1 4K TV as when my current living room TV dies it will almost certainly be replaced with 4K TV, and finally if upgrading means I can have more than 5 simultaneous view/record operations at once on the Genie. Those are the things that would motivate me. Thanks for the help in advance!
Message 1 of 55

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

My DTV configuration is Whole-Home Wireless.  Upgraded to the 4K config about 4 weeks ago.  Main unit in Living RM is the HS17/100 Server, a C61K-700 Genie Mini and a RC73 remote control (with 4K service).  My only other connection at this point is the Bedroom with a Genie Mini Client C41W-100 and RC73 (Non 4K of course).  I've encountered some concerns within the last 5-7 days, especially in the Bedroom; e.g. extreme lagging/pausing/delay/freezing upon executing any function - pressing "Info' then scrolling across to select function and getting options displayed, pressing "Exit" I can go make a sandwich and come back, but the worst delay is when I power on the Bedroom system and/or when I power off.  Didn't have this problem until recently.  Experiencing similar actions on recorded programs as well.  The Living RM is functioning with a very slight change in delays.  Haven't placed a service call as yet, but keeping a close eye and will do so if it continues or gets worst.  Patience is golden, but I'm running out.  Sure takes away from a pleasant viewing experience.

Message 16 of 55
Contributor

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Unfortunately I got talked into getting the Genie 2 with terrible results. They want to charge me to go back to my wired Genie setup, which worked great. Any recourse here? 8 year customer.

Message 17 of 55
ACE - Expert

@mawingo

If you are having technical issues with your Genie-2 then go to @ATTDIRECTVCare and send them a private message. Some users have gotten Directv to swap back to a regular Genie (HR54 if a 4K setup). This is not live support so may be a few days for a response.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 55
Contributor

Thanks, I will do so.

Message 19 of 55
Contributor

"Upgrade" to Genie 2 is cost prohibitive.  I just found out that  regular Genie can handle only 3 mini's;   I have 6 mini's in the house.  TOO MANY ACTIVE LOCATIONS is a common error message on the tv's when more that 3 are being used.  Upgrade to Genie 2 would be about $350.00...ouch!  High tech has high price for sure.  Wish the DTV  rep. had explained this to me when I bought the DirecTV package.

Message 20 of 55
ACE - Expert

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) can only use up to 3 Clients at a time because of the shared tuners and the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature.

The Genie, unlike the Genie-2 (HS17), can use HDDVRs. This increases tuners and recording space.

A Genie with 3 HDDVRs and 3 Clients is 11 tuners and 2.5TB recording space total. The Genie-2 can only use Clients so hard caps at 7 tuners.

Use next free upgrade to replace a Client with HDDVR. Outside of free upgrade, HDDVRs have one-time lease cost $199 each.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 55
Contributor

What would you all say if I told you that I have a 5 year old first gen (HR34-700) and 3 minis? Would you still upgrade or wait a bit? I just had a mini go out on me so I started getting nervous about the age of everything else...but don't like what I'm hearing on here about the genie 2. Nothing fancy needed here just don't want to have the DVR die and be without. 😞

Message 22 of 55
ACE - Expert

I would call/chat with DTV and tell them it died and get a HR44/54 warranty replacement $20 shipping.

Message 23 of 55
ACE - Expert

@PurpleTyDye wrote:

What would you all say if I told you that I have a 5 year old first gen (HR34-700) and 3 minis? Would you still upgrade or wait a bit? 

Warranty replace the Genie (HR34) as per it being discontinued you will get a HR44 or HR54. The later 2 models were made with major improvements. Recordings do not transfer from the DVR replaced so be caught up first.

Upgrade a Mini Genie Client to a HDDVR. This will gain you 2 tuners, independent processing from the Genie (though can still share recording list), and no difference in monthly cost.

Do NOT get the Genie-2 (HS17). Restrictive design which forbids HDDVRs from being on the account. A Genie and 2 HDDVRs, with or without Clients on any other TV, is more capability than the Genie-2 can reach.

Message 24 of 55

Thank you for the advise on this thread as it's helped me from upgrading to the Genie 2.  I do have a question for you. I have a HR44-700, will recordings transfer over from it to a HR54? Thanks again.

J.R.

Message 25 of 55
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎12-11-2019 12:38 PM

Nope, DTV has never allowed recordings to be transferred from any HDDVR's including the Genies.

Tags (1)
Message 26 of 55

Well Rats!  I was told it was "in the works" a couple of years ago by a direct tv employee when I relocated. 

Thank you.

Message 27 of 55
ACE - Expert

Been this way for 25 years doubt it will change plus it is the channels that don't want it.

Message 28 of 55

I've never thought of it that way. Makes perfect sense now! 

Message 29 of 55
ACE - Expert

@Azturbomini wrote:

Thank you for the advise on this thread as it's helped me from upgrading to the Genie 2.  I do have a question for you. I have a HR44-700, will recordings transfer over from it to a HR54? Thanks again.

J.R.

Recordings still do not transfer between DVRs.

There is no upgrade from HR44 to HR54 as they are considered like for like. If you do a warranty replacement you 'might' get an HR54 if it is the next on the shelf. However if you upgrade one of your other TVs to a 4K Client (C61K) to get the couple channels then if you have a Genie HR34 or HR44 it would have to be complimentary swapped to the HR54 to be compatible. That is the only perk of the 54 over the 44 (but both are HUGE improvements over the original 34).

So if you end up replacing a Genie or any other DVR down the road, make sure you are caught up as much as you can on your recordings.

And the 3 generations of the regular Genie do support HDDVRs on the other TVs to maximize tuners and recording space.

Message 30 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support