Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Highlighted
Contributor

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

I'm considering Genie 2 upgrade, but some reviews make me skeptical.   any words of advice.  whether I do or not...thinking of going with the wireless minis--to get rid of all the cable wires....thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Don't do it!  The HS17  Genie Server is still too buggy.  And having that setup means you can ONLY have Genie Mini Clients on your account .... NO regular HD DVRs or HD Receivers.  And Wireless setups are the least reliable.  If your current setup is working, leave it as is. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Professor

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

I agree with @litzdog911 100 %. Please don't do it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

@jls0224 wrote:

I'm considering Genie 2 upgrade, but some reviews make me skeptical.   any words of advice.  whether I do or not...thinking of going with the wireless minis--to get rid of all the cable wires....thoughts?

3rd generation Genie (HR54) is a 5 tuner HDDVR with the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature.

Can use Mini Genie Clients, including the 4K model.

Only up to 3 Clients may be in use at 1 time as they take tuners from the Genie.

The regular Genie line supports HDDVRs instead of Clients to allow increased tuners, recording space, and can work independently as needed.

Genie-2 (HS17) is a 7 tuner "headless server" tower that does not go on a TV itself so is 1 more device wired in then TVs.

Does not have PiP.

Forbids HDDVRs from being on the account.

Buggy since launch.

With either model replacing wired boxes with wireless makes for a potentially weaker connection. Plus a downgrade if those wired boxes are not Clients as they take capability away from the main Genie.

Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners, more than the Genie-2 could ever have. If Genie-2 goes down for any reason, all TVs go down as it runs everything, which is not an issue if you have HR54 and regular HDDVRs. There is no monthly cost difference between Client, HDDVR, or even HD non-DVR.

So do NOT get the Genie-2 (HS17). For most people it is a downgrade because of the built in restrictions.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support