Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Mentor

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Hey everybody. I'm coming up on 2 yrs with DirecTV and I have the Premier Protection Plan which means I'm eligible for upgrading my equipment at some point. Current equipment is HR54-200 and four add'l receivers.. C41 wired client, two C51 wireless clients, and one C61 4K client going to (obviously) a 4K TV. Now then, I signed up for D*TV in Nov 2015 and at the time, HR54 was brand new, as was the 4K offering(s). What I'm trying to figure out - and having trouble deciphering - is whether there is any value in upgrading from HR54 to the Genie 2? When I spoke to the D*TV agent he didn't seem very informed and kept saying what I have is fine. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is whether my dish/LNB needs to be updated. It's from early on when 4K was just supported. I'm not even sure how to definitely tell what I have or what's most recent, or even whether it would get upgraded alongside a DVR upgrade. The agent was absolutely clueless when it came to the dish/LNB. My focus is on improvements such as more 4k channels, future proofing, the ability for more than 1 4K TV as when my current living room TV dies it will almost certainly be replaced with 4K TV, and finally if upgrading means I can have more than 5 simultaneous view/record operations at once on the Genie. Those are the things that would motivate me. Thanks for the help in advance!
Message 1 of 55
ACE - Expert

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Genie-2's bugs 'might' have had some improvement.

However per the design of the Genie-2 forbids other boxes from being on the account which is very limiting for many of us and that there are only 2 channels in 4K (3 if you count the PPV one), I would NOT recommend it for anyone.

A 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44/HR54) and regular HDDVRs is the best setup.

There is the option of having the 4K Client (C61K) on a TV compatible with Directv's 4K service and having the HR54 on another TV as that Genie supports the 4K Client as well. However Clients have no tuners of their, so take one from the Genie and rely on it for most of their processing. So I still recommend HDDVRs instead of Clients. No difference in monthly cost.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 46 of 55
Tutor

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

I've been out of the loop for years on DTV hardware and i'm just trying to catch up now. I am a long time directv subscriber- about 18 years.  NHL Center Ice that entire time. Premier Level till May, dropped to Choice, but just upped to Extra, with regional sports pack and HBO.  Also i have been on the Protection plan for a year or two.  As i said, i'm  trying to catch up on what equip is out there, which brought me to this thread.  I have only 2 TVs, both with HR24s.  One has been starting to freeze up and is not as responsive and is just generally slow. I don't have a 4K TV nor do i see one in my immediate future.  I have a 60" Sammy that's 3-4 years old.  From what i've read looks like the HR44 is my best solution, correct?  I'd like to keep one of the H24s.  However, I just read on a previous post on this thread that they won't "upgrade", only swap out like receivers.  Also- it's only my wife and I recording mostly and we only watch on the Sammy - not the second tv, tho that has the H24 we still record on as well as the main HR24, with the Sammy.  The kids are away at college.  How do you think i should proceed and am i correct that the 44 would be best for my set up/ needs?  Any advice would be appreciated as to which box to get and how to go about it... which line to call, what to ask for, etc.  thank you!

Message 47 of 55
ACE - Expert

@eddieras wrote:

I've been out of the loop for years on DTV hardware and i'm just trying to catch up now. I am a long time directv subscriber- about 18 years.  NHL Center Ice that entire time. Premier Level till May, dropped to Choice, but just upped to Extra, with regional sports pack and HBO.  Also i have been on the Protection plan for a year or two.  As i said, i'm  trying to catch up on what equip is out there, which brought me to this thread.  I have only 2 TVs, both with HR24s.  One has been starting to freeze up and is not as responsive and is just generally slow. I don't have a 4K TV nor do i see one in my immediate future.  I have a 60" Sammy that's 3-4 years old.  From what i've read looks like the HR44 is my best solution, correct?  I'd like to keep one of the H24s.  However, I just read on a previous post on this thread that they won't "upgrade", only swap out like receivers.  Also- it's only my wife and I recording mostly and we only watch on the Sammy - not the second tv, tho that has the H24 we still record on as well as the main HR24, with the Sammy.  The kids are away at college.  How do you think i should proceed and am i correct that the 44 would be best for my set up/ needs?  Any advice would be appreciated as to which box to get and how to go about it... which line to call, what to ask for, etc.  thank you!

Yes, replacing one of your HR24's with an HR44 or HR54 Genie DVR is the way to go.  Do NOT "upgrade" to the new HS17 Genie Server.  If you do that you'll have to dump both HR24s because that Genie only supports Mini Clients. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 48 of 55
Tutor

thanks!  will they upgrade me for free you think - from the 24 to 44 or 54?

Message 49 of 55
ACE - Expert

@eddieras wrote:

thanks!  will they upgrade me for free you think - from the 24 to 44 or 54?

Hard to say.  Some recent posts suggest that DirecTV is telling customers they're out of HR44/54 Genies.  That could be a ploy to push the HS17 Server more.  The only way to know is to call .... 1 800 531 5000

Message 50 of 55
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@Ender519

Request upgrade one of your HDDVRs to Genie (not the Genie-2, model HS17).

You will get either the HR44 or HR54 depending on stock.

Genie is a 5 tuner HDDVR with 1TB recording space compared to the 2 tuner and 500GB of HR24.

Genie has Picture in Picture feature.

Do not replace your other HDDVR with Mini Genie Client as Client doesn't have tuners or recording space of its own so would be a downgrade in your setup.

The Genie will receive the new graphical user interface (GUI), the new menu look, which is still getting updates, but your remaining HR24 will stay on the old interface.

Will add $3 Whole Home DVR service to monthly bill if you don't already have it.

Recordings from replaced HDDVR do not transfer over.

If it has been 2 years or longer of active service in good standing you normally would expect a free upgrade, but will have to check with DirecTV.

If not free upgrade, Genie is one-time lease of $299.

Upgrade will come with 24 month service agreement as normal.

Message 51 of 55
Tutor

thank you !

Message 52 of 55
Contributor

I'm so mad right now.  I upgraded thinking it was a free upgrade.  They charged me 499 for genie 2 and 199 the the mini dvr.  So mad that they did this with ought letting me know.  Will not credit me and give back my old equipment that worked fine.  I got it because I finally got 4k TV in living room and they said my hdv54? Couldn't do 4k.  So sneeky

Message 53 of 55
ACE - Expert

The HR54 can't output 4K over HDMI so it can only stream 4K to the C61K mini so don't know why they changed it(if they did) as the HS17 has no outputs so it can only stream to minis. The email conformation had all the charges and equipment ordered.  Minis are $99.

Message 54 of 55
ACE - Expert

@Suoerta329 wrote:

I'm so mad right now.  I upgraded thinking it was a free upgrade.  They charged me 499 for genie 2 and 199 the the mini dvr.  So mad that they did this with ought letting me know.  Will not credit me and give back my old equipment that worked fine.  I got it because I finally got 4k TV in living room and they said my hdv54? Couldn't do 4k.  So sneeky

Genie (HR54) on non-4K TV and Mini Genie Client (C61K) on 4K TV can be used to gain the 2 channels in 4K (plus PPV options), but only 1 TV at a time can use a 4K channel, no matter how many 4K Clients you have. So the HR54 cannot do 4K itself because it was too far into production when the requirement updated needing HDMI 2.0 and so they came out with the updated Client model.

Genie-2 (HS17) doesn't go on a TV itself and allows up to 2 Clients using a 4K channel at the same time. But it sacrifices major reliability as it forbids HDDVRs from being on the account. So hard capped at 7 tuners, all boxes reliant on one, you have one more box wired in than you have TVs, no Picture in Picture, no separate parental controls per TV, and the post-launch bugs (though not as bad as when first launched).

The prices you mention are not the one-time lease of those products. Genie-2 is $299 (not $499), Mini Genie Client regardless of model is $99 (not $199), when you don't qualify for a free upgrade. I would recheck that order confirmation to see exactly what those prices are or if there were other items on it. Though even at the correct pricing, that is a lot just to gain 2 channels, so I personally would have waited for a free upgrade.

Correct DirecTV has never given back equipment. Once sent back that is it. You could still place an order for a Genie, but it would be at the normal upgrade cost of $299 as you just upgraded.

Message 55 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support