Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Mentor

Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

Hey everybody. I'm coming up on 2 yrs with DirecTV and I have the Premier Protection Plan which means I'm eligible for upgrading my equipment at some point. Current equipment is HR54-200 and four add'l receivers.. C41 wired client, two C51 wireless clients, and one C61 4K client going to (obviously) a 4K TV. Now then, I signed up for D*TV in Nov 2015 and at the time, HR54 was brand new, as was the 4K offering(s). What I'm trying to figure out - and having trouble deciphering - is whether there is any value in upgrading from HR54 to the Genie 2? When I spoke to the D*TV agent he didn't seem very informed and kept saying what I have is fine. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is whether my dish/LNB needs to be updated. It's from early on when 4K was just supported. I'm not even sure how to definitely tell what I have or what's most recent, or even whether it would get upgraded alongside a DVR upgrade. The agent was absolutely clueless when it came to the dish/LNB. My focus is on improvements such as more 4k channels, future proofing, the ability for more than 1 4K TV as when my current living room TV dies it will almost certainly be replaced with 4K TV, and finally if upgrading means I can have more than 5 simultaneous view/record operations at once on the Genie. Those are the things that would motivate me. Thanks for the help in advance!
Message 1 of 55

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

I called dtv Friday and told them I needed to upgrade my service and possibly equipment so I can utilise 4k. Told the lady I have an HR44 and genie mini's and was told the (ONLY) way I can get 4k services is to use the Genie2. I told her I will not take a Genie2 due to it being a sub par product. She goes on to tell me the HR44 &.HR54 can't be used for 4k service and the Genie2 is my ONLY OPTION! Any ideas on how to get to someone that knows what they're talking about? 

Thanks,

J.R.

Message 31 of 55
ACE - Expert

Re: Is it worth upgrading from HR54 to Genie 2? Also question about dish/LNB upgrade...

@Azturbomini

The Genie-2 (HS17) is a problem system and is NOT the only way to get 4K. You do a 4K upgrade replacing one of your Mini Genie Clients with the C61K (goes on the 4K TV itself) then your HR44 would be swapped by tech for the HR54 as it also supports receiving the 4K service (though cannot output directly per HDMI requirements updated when it was too far into production).

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

If agent says the Genie-2 is the only way to get 4K then they need better training or are just straight up lying to you in order to get credit for upgrading more equipment. In either case request a supervisor.

I would consider using a free upgrade to replace a Mini Genie Client for an HDDVR instead. This way you get 2 tuners, independent processing power, works even if the Genie doesn't, and more recording space. Plus you do not lose what is already recorded on your HR44 as recordings cannot be transferred from any Genie/DVR to another.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 55
Mentor

We have had a Genie 2 since September. I have to tell you that at first it was Very buggy.. Directv has fixed these issues and now we really like it. We recently got an OLED 4K TV and connected it to a 4K mini receiver. The result is a Stunning picture! Not a problem at all. We really hope you find a solution for you new TV, the Genie 2 is great now.

Message 33 of 55
ACE - Expert

@kaps77

If the Genie-2 bugs are indeed being squashed, then I could see it being somewhat ok for a 1 to 2 TV household. However, it has problems built into the design that I cannot get past.

1. Genie-2 is a server tower. This means it sits by itself, not connected to a TV. This means you have one more cable drilled in then you have TVs.

2. Forbids anything that is not a Client.

a. Hard caps the tuners. My setup is now a Genie and 2 HDDVRs. This gives 9 tuners, which I could make 11 if I put an HDDVR in the final bedroom.

b. If Genie or Genie-2 goes down, Clients go down as they are just extensions of it. HDDVRs (or even HD non-DVRs) still work. Having a cat accidently pull power cord of Genie, I am glad not all TVs are dependent on one.

c. As Clients cannot work without the Genie or Genie-2, you cannot just take one in an RV (or leave it there for when you use it). Have to go through the hassle of taking your entire system with you. Same as with a vacation cabin.

3. Only the regular Genie has the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature. Though I don't personally use it often, I have had friends who do (mostly for sports).

If Directv came out with SWM only (like all their Genies and H25) HDDVRs that could work with the Genie-2, I would consider it a very worthwhile system (if bugs fixed of course). As all regular HDDVRs though still obtainable have been deemed non returnable models, without any newer model of HDDVR coming out first or at least being announced, it gives the impression that AT&T is going to a Client only system which is a disappointment and great concern going forward.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 55
Mentor

Since I don't have a cat, then I guess I'm safe. Ace all I know is that the Genie 2 works great for me. The 4K picture, when content is available, is excellent! Directv burned a lot of us when the Genie 2 first came out. I stuck it out, guess I'm slow. But within a few months my Genie 2 was fine. The fact that I went for 4 months with massive problems Before I got the Genie 2. Those problems were caused by satellite issues specific to Seattle. So the issues with the Genie 2 weren’t that bad. Anyway it’s where Directv is going. Take Care 

Message 35 of 55
ACE - Expert

Cat unplugging power was just an example. If it got unplugged for any other reason, or it had a technical issue, power issue, etc that caused it to go off, crash, or whatever, it affects all your TVs. Too many eggs in one basket for me. Per my large household having experienced recording conflicts, we could not mange with capped at 7 tuners.

If they would just let the Genie-2 (HS17 or possibly a later model) work with HDDVRs, issues would be taken care of.

Message 36 of 55

Juniper,

I was recently offered and accepted an equipment upgrade during an online chat.  At the time I had only recently heard of the HR54 and assumed that was what I would be getting.......well, you know what they say about assumptions being a fasttrack to you know where.......a word that is "bad' per the forum and I'm not allowed to use per a pop-up I just received.......good grief.......the word for the place opposite from heaven is banned on this forum, incredible! 

Anyway, when I saw, "Genie 2" on the order that DTV Emailed to me I began researching it.  That's when I learned from you and others about the problems.  I cancelled the order and dodged a very big bullet.  However, I am still very confused about the HR54 and Mini 61 client.  If I call or chat with DTV people can I ask specifically for this equipment and get it free of charge same as I was eligible before for a free upgrade to the Genie 2 and related gizmos?  If I can somehow get this equipment do I still have to have an existing 4K TV in my house before DTV will install an HR54 and Mini 61?

Thanks.  

Message 37 of 55
ACE - Expert

@dumberthansnot

Glad you caught the Genie-2 issues before you ended up with that headache later.

The HR54 is the 3rd generation Genie. It's only improvement over the HR44 is supporting a 4K Client to enjoy the couple channels. To clarify the 4K model of the Mini Genie Client is C61K. And yes you must have the 4K TV upon install of the C61K so they can verify it is compatible for Directv's 4K service and make sure it works once hooked up.

What are the exact models of boxes you have now?

Do you already have a 4K TV?

Are you adding more TVs to your service, or just looking to upgrade equipment for the current number of TVs you have?

Message 38 of 55

Don't have a 4K TV yet.....doesn't make sense to me to spend several thousand bucks and not have equipment that handles 4K in place first but I accept what you are saying.  My logic also was that I want absolute proof the new equipment works with our current non-4K TV's and boxes......so, I guess that assurance is out the window too. 

Anyway, we have a Genie 44, a mini 41, and two HR22's to cover 4 TV's. 

I am so bugged by all this I am going to start looking seriously at DISH.........won't surprise me if that is also a banned word on the forum. 

Thanks for your help! 

Message 39 of 55
ACE - Expert

@dumberthansnot

Ok so your current setup is HR44, C41 (I assume not the C41W), and two HR22s but you don't have a 4K TV at this time.

The HR54 works with non 4K TVs. The only way to guarantee getting an HR54 is if you do a 4K upgrade as the HR44 doesn't support the newer service. A warranty replacement of your HR44 would net either a HR44 or HR54 (depending what is in stock). This is because all 3 generations of the Genie (including the original HR34) are considered like for like.

The C61K can work with non 4K TVs, but because of the amount of stock, should only be provided for a 4K upgrade. Even a warranty replacement of the C41 could only net a C41, C51, or C61 (not C61K as the K denotes it as the 4K model) as they are like for like. The C41W (wireless model) and C61K (4K Model) are different lines of Clients so not considered like for like for regular Clients.

You have two actual upgrade options. There is no monthly cost difference between them, just like your current setup:

1. Upgrade your C41 to an HDDVR. You gain 2 tuners and 500GB recording space like you have on the other two HDDVRs. Plus it takes the Client load off the Genie giving back its tuner. Only regular HDDVR in stock would be the HR24 as they cleared out of the older ones years ago. Same tuners and recording space as your HR22s, just slightly updated hardware inside.

2. After you get a 4K TV, do a 4K upgrade to replace the C41 with the C61K which goes on the 4K TV itself. This would gain the 2 channels in 4K (3 if you count the PPV one). The tech on site would have to complimentary swap the HR44 for the HR54. Bear in mind that just like replacing any other DVRs, the recordings would not transfer from your replaced HR44. So be caught up on the recordings on your current Genie before doing this upgrade.

Just a recap so you don't have to go searching:

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

(RVU, also known as Directv ready TV, just has the Client built in. TV makers are slow on updating the TV's internal Client and it has been reported as slower than a C61K so not recommended).

Message 40 of 55

So, "After you get a 4K TV, do a 4K upgrade to replace the C41 with the C61K which goes on the 4K TV itself. This would gain the 2 channels in 4K (3 if you count the PPV one). The tech on site would have to complimentary swap the HR44 for the HR54. Bear in mind that just like replacing any other DVRs, the recordings would not transfer from your replaced HR44. So be caught up on the recordings on your current Genie before doing this upgrade."

Does this mean I can't just ask DTV for the HR54 and a C61K?  I do not understand what you continue to say about the, 'tech.....would have to do a complimentary swap......".  That sounds very much like gambling to me.  What specifically do I do to get DirecTV and/or the tech do give me what I need......threaten to cancel or bribe installer with a 50 dollar bill?  I just don't understand what you are saying?  Sorry.

Message 41 of 55
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

You cannot request specific models from Directv in general. Upgrades are only for different services (i.e. Client to HDDVR, HDDVR to Genie, non DVR to Genie, etc.) but cannot request upgrade from HR22 to HR24 (HDDVR) or HR44 to HR54 (Genie) as those are like for like. However Directv will provide specific models in a 4K upgrade because there is only 1 Genie and 1 Mini Genie Client models that are compatible (Genie-2 doesn't count per previous discussion).

Request to upgrade the C41 to 4K. This gets the C61K as it is the only 4K Mini Genie Client in existence.

Since the HR54 is required to support the C61K, the tech on site would swap the HR44 for the HR54. It is a complimentary swap because it is needed for the 4K setup, so if the tech doesn't have the HR54 on hand then he cannot do the work. The order should list it for him, but you can ask the agent to put a reminder in the notes.

So if it is a 4K order for the C61K then it guarantees the HR54 swap. Just be clear to agent you are not ordering the Genie-2 (HS17) as that is a completely different order. Naturally once order placed you will get the order confirmation shortly to review.

Still you cannot do this 4K upgrade until you have the 4K TV to view it on. If no 4K TV, then tech leaves and closes appointment. So when you get the 4K TV request 4K upgrade to replace your C41 with the C61K, which will swap the HR44 for the HR54, or instead upgrade the C41 to a HDDVR. Since these are the early days of 4K I personally would get the HDDVR to maximize your system, but the 4K upgrade would still get you a couple more channels for the TV with the Client so it is an upgrade either way.

Message 42 of 55
ACE - Expert

In order to do a 4K upgrade DTV has to give you an HR54 Genie or the HS17 Genie2 as they are the only Genies that can receive the 4K channels that DTV has at this time and the future 4K channels if and when, due to the 4K standard being changed during production the HR54 can't output 4K over HDMI so DTV made the C61K  and is the only mini that can output 4K over HDMI.

Message 43 of 55
Contributor

Any update on this issue?   Is it a good time to upgrade now?  Has the bugs been fixed and updated yet?  I am being offered an upgrade to the 
Genie 2 and 4K Genies.  Please advise. Thank you very much.

Message 44 of 55
ACE - Expert

@alsavillny wrote:

Any update on this issue?   Is it a good time to upgrade now?  Has the bugs been fixed and updated yet?  I am being offered an upgrade to the 
Genie 2 and 4K Genies.  Please advise. Thank you very much.

In my opinion, no.  I would not recommend "upgrading" to the HS17 Genie 2 Server.  And there's really not much 4K content yet to justify the switch from an HR54 + C61K setup.

Message 45 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support