I wonder why my Direct DVR is recording all the time? I am not recording any thing.

Tutor

I wonder why my Direct DVR is recording all the time? I am not recording any thing.

Record light is on all the time.

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Professor

Re: I wonder why my Direct DVR is recording all the time? I am not recording any thing.

have you checked to see what its recording?

also try a red button reset

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

Re: I wonder why my Direct DVR is recording all the time? I am not recording any thing.

That is just it, I cannot find anything that it is recording. What will the red reset button do? Will I lose all my settings??
Message 3 of 13
ACE - Expert

Red button reset is just like rebooting your computer.  You won't lose recordings or settings.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 13
Tutor

I reset the receiver, as stated, problem came back after a short while. Just hope I don’t run out of hard drive space, with it recording EVERYTHING.
Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

go to the search function

search for

clearmybox

it will not erase recordings or timers

it will cause guide data to e deleted and rebuilt.

which in turn should update timers, ect

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 13
Tutor

Thanks, It seems to have worked!.   Going to keep your info handy, so if I need to run it again. Again, Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
Tutor

It worked for awhile. Record light came back on after 12-14 hours. Maybe it won’t hurt anything.
Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

If the RECORD light is on, but the DVR is not actually recording anything, then it's simply a problem with that light. 

Message 9 of 13
Tutor

You are probably right, But how do I fix it? Will it hurt anything? Maybe I should call for service. I have only had this system for 4 months.
Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

The only way to fix it would be replacing the DVR.  You're past the 90-day warranty, so a replacement will cost ~$20 for shipping, or free if you have DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan.  

Message 11 of 13
Tutor

Guess you are right about that.  I hope it won't damage anything, with the record light on all the time.

When I was a DISH customer, the DVR failed two times, they replaced it free both times, even paid the shipping, OH well..

Message 12 of 13
ACE - Professor

directv will at times waive the hipping or service call fee

only way to know for sure is call and ask

Message 13 of 13
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support