Helpful Links

Hr21-700 receiver not working

Mentor

Hr21-700 receiver not working

I have a Hr-21-700 receiver in my basement.  When I turn it on it goes into a reboot mode. And I get this message " a problem has been detected in the storage device.

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault.

Please reboot the box now. That may fix the problem. 

If that does not work, please call customer service and report the diagnostic code displayed below. 

Diagnostics code 22-330 

I also got the same

message as above with a different diagnostic code 14-724 

I have rebooted the box 4 or 5 times and had no luck. I just wanted to check with you guys before ruining my afternoon by trying to talk to a Dtv rep who doesn't speak English.  Thanks in advance for any help or advice 

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Master

Re: Hr21-700 receiver not working

Unfortunately your hard drive (storage device) has essentially died since the reboot didn't clear it up.

You will need to call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and request a warranty replacement. $19.95 delivery or covered by their equipment protection plan. Be prepared that the agent will most likely offer an upgrade as an alternative. I would suggest posting the models of any other boxes you have before looking into an upgrade so other customers can help guide you to the best option for you personally.

If you just go with a warranty replacement, you will most likely get an HR24 as HDDVRs up to the HR23 are no longer returnable. After the HR21 they went to a larger hard drive (500GB) in their regular HDDVRs so you will have more recording space. With non returnable boxes, Directv instructs to recycle the box. Just do not send the access card to recycling as Directv usually sends a prepaid envelope. Though the HR21 is an outdated model, I would suggest to follow the common rule of not recycling the box until the replacement is received as returnable boxes use the same shipping package to go back when replaced.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14
Guru

As juniper already stated, the hard drive is broken,  no fix for that it needs replaced recordings can't be transferred and are probably gone anyway since the hard drive is done

Message 3 of 14
Mentor

By replaced do you mean the hard drive or the whole receiver?  This receiver is my "owned"  receiver.  It's the one we use at camp or tailgating when it's not hooked up in the basement. I'll probably  buy another owned receiver on eBay to avoid having to sign a new contract extension with Dtv.

Message 4 of 14
Guru

The whole dvr needs replaced,  if you have the protection plan owned equipment is replaced with owned equipment,  if you don't have the pp then it will be replaced as a leased unit but won't have a commitment,  only an upgrade will cause a commitment 

Message 5 of 14
Mentor

Ok great, is there a charge for the leased receiver other than the 7.00 perfect month ?  And would I get able to take it to our camp on the weekends?

Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
Guru

No additional charge,  the additional receiver fee is the same wether owned or leased,  you can take it with you still 

Message 7 of 14
ACE - Master

Owned or leased has no difference on monthly cost. However, without the protection plan if the HR21 is actually owned, they may not just swap it as the warranty would have expired. In that event you may need to use an upgrade to get a replacement which may be free on the box (since it has been a long time since you got a new one) but come with a 24 month agreement. But the HR21 being owned would be a rare situation as most people don't want to pay the $499 owned cost.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 14
Mentor

Juniper this box is actually owned.  I'm happy that you are hear to witness a rare situation. 

Message 9 of 14
ACE - Master

Ok, just wanted to be sure. I have heard from many where they thought it was owned because they paid $199 or less, when it in fact was the one-time leased cost because they didn't qualify for a free upgrade.

Since it is owned be prepared for an upgrade with a 24 month agreement as an HR21 would be out of warranty. However, unless you have upgraded any other boxes in the last couple of years, then you probably have a free upgrade available. Just do NOT get the Genie-2 HS17 as they are still working out some post-launch issues, and it does not support anything but Clients on other TVs.

Message 10 of 14
ACE - Expert

If you really want to keep it Weaknees.com can replace the hard drive.

Message 11 of 14
Mentor

Ok thank you for your help 

Message 12 of 14
Mentor

Check this out fellows. Four days ago I was going to get rid of my "bad" receiver.  I turned it on and it started to reboot itself, I didn't get that message about a problem with the storage device it finished booting up and has been working flawlessly for four days now.  Thoughts???

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert

Well, the hard drive may have "fixed" itself,  but that's likely just temporary.  I suggest you watch any valuable recordings ASAP, then call DirecTV and tell them it's dead so they can replace your DVR. 

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support