Helpful Links

How well does the wireless Genie mini work for 4K TV's?

Highlighted
Teacher

How well does the wireless Genie mini work for 4K TV's?

After a painful few months trying to get Comcast to fix our picture, we're ready to move on to Directv.  As we've never tried Directv, I wanted to ask a few questions of the experts here on this forum.  

We have 3 4K TV's in our house.  The main one is downstairs and we have the other 2 TV's upstairs.  Not sure how the setup will go but I assume the wired Genie will go downstairs.  Is there a different type for 4K TV's?  

For the two TV's upstairs, I've read about the wireless Genie minis.  How well does that work for 4K TV's in terms of picture?  Any experience would be appreciated.  Also, do these wireless Genie minis work off of our wifi or does the wired Genie downstairs give off a signal?  

Would love to minimize the amount of wires they have to drill into the house so the wireless option sounds great, but wanted to make sure the 4K picture is pretty good.  Thanks for any input everybody!

Message 1 of 19
ACE - Master

Re: How well does the wireless Genie mini work for 4K TV's?

the c41 wireless will not output 4k

only the c61k wired client will provide 4k

you will need an hr54 to fee the c61k.

the hr54 will not output 4k via hdmi

you can only view 1 4k stream at a time

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19
Teacher

Thanks for your feedback.  Compared to Comcast, I'll be just happy with a decent 1080  or 720 picture (which Comcast wasn't providing).  Does the wireless Genie mini give you a pretty good picture overall?

Question, if the wired Genie is model hr54 and does not output 4K via hdmi, how would it output 4K content (only wireless?)?

Message 3 of 19
ACE - Master

the hr54 is a server for the c61k

c61k uses the tuner from the hr54.

they are all on the same coax network

without a genie (hr54) the mini will not work.

some people say wireless works great, some say its a bit slow.

pictures should be consistant over all either 1080i or 720p.  it depends what format the station send to directv

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 19
Teacher

I assume when I order Directv and tell them what solution I'm looking for, they'll bring all the right hardware?  

I'm crossing my fingers it's better than Comcast........thanks for your input!

Message 5 of 19
ACE - Master

they should.

verify the equipment on the email you receive.

when the tech calls before arriving, verifyt he equipment

when he arrives verify again.

when hes done, verify once more.

also remember using a client takes away from the tuners of the genie. limiting your ability to record

also, a max of 3 clients can be active at one time.

so 5 tuners in the main, -3 max clients, leaves 2 for the main. one to watch and one to record

Message 6 of 19
Teacher

wow, that doesn't sound like a great solution for us as we sometimes have 2 or 3 shows being recorded at the same time (with kids).  Is the Client so that the wireless Genie Mini can work?  I think at minimum we would need the ability to record 3 or 4 shows at once.......

Is it possible to have more than one wired Genie at the house so that you have more tuners all together?

Message 7 of 19
ACE - Master

the minis are the clients

only 1 genie per account

rumor of a new genie with more tuners in august or so

Message 8 of 19
ACE - Expert

Use HDDVRs instead of the minis you will add 2 tuners per and they will share the play list with each other.

Message 9 of 19
ACE - Master

shannon02 wrote:

Use HDDVRs instead of the minis you wil add 2 tuners per and they will share the play list with each other.

he cant get 4k that way

Message 10 of 19
ACE - Expert

You can still add them.

Message 11 of 19
Teacher

So it seems if I want 4K, I go with the Wireless Genie MIni, but to add more tuners I have to go with HD DVR's upstairs.  One last question, for the HD DVR's, do they have to be wired?  I assume they are not wireless??

Thanks for all the answers......I'm learning a lot about how Directv works.....

Message 12 of 19
ACE - Master

yes, dvrs have to be wired.

they also have an up front cost, usually 199 each

everything, excepth the c41w mini, requires a wire

Message 13 of 19
Teacher

Do I have to buy the HD DVR's.....I thought all the equipment is rented??  Or maybe that's just how Comcast works......

Message 14 of 19
ACE - Master

you do not have to buy

its an equipment fee

even if you buy for full price, you still have the same $7 per box monthly charge

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support