Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: How to use over the air antenna with DTV receiver

Mentor

How to use over the air antenna with DTV receiver

Hello, I just purchased an RV that has a crank up antenna. I plan to use it outside off my local market. I also purchased a King Quest automatic satellite antenna. This is a standard definition satellite antenna that I plan to use with my D12 receiver. The back of the receiver has a satellite in as well as an antenna in and out to tv. Connections are self explanatory but my question is how do I toggle between satellite channels and over the air antenna channels. I would like to be able to view my DTV programming as well as the local OTA channels.

I should also mention that the crank up antenna on the RV is an HD antenna. Well it so work going thru the DTV D12 receiver? I understand that it might not be HD after going thru the receiver but just wondering if it will work at all.
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

No, you don't want to run the off air antenna through your D12.  If your TV has multiple video inputs, just connect the off-air antenna to the TV's ANT IN jack, and connect the D12 using Composite Video (yellow RCA) and audio (red/white RCA) jacks on the TV.  Then use the TV's off-air tuner for the off-air channels and the TV's Composite Video input for the D12 satellite receiver. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Mentor

How to use OTA?

in my HR54/200 ,

Settings> Info & Test> after sattelite Setup and then Clock, 

is the section for (OTA) Antenna

type- none

Connection Status- Not Connected

Any info on connections?

Out of curiosity I recently installed an OTA HD antenna in my attic and It surprisingly received 14 channels.

And why would I want to connect an OTA antenna to my DVR?   I'm just contributing to the discussion. :-)

Message 3 of 8
Mentor

It seems that this was discussed in Dec 2018

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-Installation/Off-air-antenna/td-p/5742807#

Is an "LLC" still available?

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

The LCC is still in testing and only in Las Vegas but DTV has expanded it to places the have had their locals removed due to a contract dispute and only the HR44/54 Genies can use it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
ACE - Expert

Equipment has changed since this thread started in 2017 with the now obsolete D12.

The Local Channel Connector (LCC) is the accessory that allows you to connect a regular antenna to your HR44 or HR54 and integrate over-the-air (OTA) locals into the guide. However this accessory is only available in the Las Vegas and Salt Lake City testing markets. Though some areas affected by local negotiations got some limited availablility.

Otherwise you connect the antenna to the TV set itself like normal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 6 of 8
Mentor

@

Thank you. I have the antenna connected to the tv.

I dont have connector with the USB to connect to the HR54.

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

@kitnbob 

You're welcome.

It will be a very nice day once the LCC is ready for national launch. Help out those with RVs and a great backup if locals try to play hardball during negotiations. Plus any additional locals it pulls in that DirecTV doesn't have.

Just if ever offered, don't "upgrade" to the Genie-2 (HS17). Not compatible with the LCC, and because it only allows Clients, it is not the most friendly for an RV setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support