Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to remove a DIRECTV Satellite Dish

Contributor

How to remove a DIRECTV Satellite Dish

Clearly, Direct TV does not remove satellite dishes, nor can they even provide any contact or information about who to ask to do it. Has anyone had an experiencing removing a satellite dish? We sold our home and one of the conditions is that we have to take it down. Any help would be fantastic. THanks!

Message 1 of 44
ACE - Expert

Re: How to Remove a Satellite Dish

Since you own it you are responsible for removal, best to leave the mounting plate attached to the roof until it is replace to prevent water leaks. IIRC there is a single bolt that holds the mast/dish to the mounting plate.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 44
Contributor

Hi Shannon,
Thank you for this info. Do you simply need a wrench to loosen up the
dish? Are there any wires that need to removed? Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 44
ACE - Expert

Two wenches one for the nut the other for the bolt, you own everything but the receivers so you can remove the coax if you wish.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 44
ACE - Expert

Dish removal since it is owned is done by yourself or a local tech (not Directv). This is for 2 reasons. In the first place if you decide in returning to Directv, or move and someone wants to install (new customer or moving existing service) then there is already a Dish there ready which saves the techs some work as well as not doing more drilling into the home for the same thing. On the other side since the dish stays a long time, with any settling of the house or weather over the years, satellite providers do not want to deal with possible damage after the fact in attempting to remove.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 5 of 44
Tutor

I have the same issue with Direct TV they won't come out to remove this satellite dish from my roof saying it's my property when it's their piece of equipment!  They don't tell you that when you become a customer that you are on your own to remove the satellite dish and that's probably because they will lose customers.  I think it's ridiculous that they won't come out and get it off the roof!  I am not happy that I have to pay a contractor to come and take it down!  Watch out new customers for this type of situation!  Removing it might cause water to get inside your home that's why I bet they don't won't to be responsible for the removal of the dish.  I hate I ever used them for a service since I have to spend money to have a contractor take it down! 

Message 6 of 44
Tutor

I have the same issue with Direct TV they won't come out to remove this satellite dish from my roof saying it's my property when it's their piece of equipment!  They don't tell you that when you become a customer that you are on your own to remove the satellite dish and that's probably because they will lose customers.  I think it's ridiculous that they won't come out and get it off the roof!  I am not happy that I have to pay a contractor to come and take it down!  Watch out new customers for this type of situation!  Removing it might cause water to get inside your home that's why I bet they don't won't to be responsible for the removal of the dish.  I hate I ever used them for a service since I have to spend money to have a contractor take it down! 

Message 7 of 44
ACE - Expert

@tweet601, if you have the dish removed, be sure to leave the mounting plate alone and attached to the roof.  That will ensure you won't have any leaks.  And, if you can safely reach the dish, it's just a matter of removing a few bolts to remove the mast and dish. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 8 of 44
Tutor

Direct TV need to come up with a better way and get rid of the dish on roofs since it cause damage to the roof when removing.  It's a stupid policy, if you decide to leave Direct TV there should be a service where they will come out and take the dish down without the customer coming out of their pocket to pay a contractor for removal!  They need to change this idiotic policy!  I hate I ever used their service!

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tweet601

All of this information is readily available in the customer agreement that you are sent with your order confirmation prior to installation. I know nobody likes to read agreements and terms of service, however I recommend that you do so in the future, or at least skim them, to avoid headaches as such.

Message 10 of 44
Tutor

Thank you for your advice.

Message 11 of 44
Tutor

ATT has charged me $10.00 per month for 5 years for my   use of the high definition dish they installed on my roof, and, now that I am moving, they will not take it away, claiming it is my property.  It is so that I do have to send back to ATT their Direct TV box  which has been installed in my living room as long as I have had their dish, claiming the box is their property.  I will never use ATT again for TV or anything else.  What kind of people are these?

Message 12 of 44
ACE - Expert

So what part of leased receiver don't you understand?  The dish being yours has been that why since DTV started installing them has nothing to do with AT&T.

Message 13 of 44
Contributor

Yeah, but what if the dish is already there when you move in, so you’re not the person who originally installed it? You are not made aware that you own it because you didn’t sign the original contract of when it was installed. This is unacceptable, and Directv needs to change this, or they will continue to lose customers. This is definitely my last year with Directv because of their unethical practices! 

Message 14 of 44
ACE - Expert

DTV been doing this for twenty odd years doubt it change, the dish comes with the house just like the water heater.

Message 15 of 44
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support