Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to get Genie to recognize 4K-compatible TV when HDMI signal passes through Onkyo A/V receiver?

Contributor

How to get Genie to recognize 4K-compatible TV when HDMI signal passes through Onkyo A/V receiver?

I have a new Samsung SUHD TV that is certainly 4K ready.  I can use the embedded TV apps to stream, or connect HDMI devices (including my 4K Genie mini) directly to the TV's "OneConnect" HDMI switch and get 4K.

However, I'd rather connect the Genie Mini to one of my Onkyo A/V HDMI inputs (along with my other devices like Blu-ray and Apple TV), and direct the single "Monitor out HDMI" to the Samsung One Connect.  The Onkyo has the latest firmware, it's HDMI inputs are certainly 4K ready, and it can manually be configured to upscale to 4K output regardless of input.

However, I put in in "Through" mode so native resolution comes to the TV based on the active input device.  In this configuration, when the 4K Genie mini is selected as the input, Directv channel 104 downgrades the signal displaying the message "Your TV doesn't support 4K content, you are watching in 1080p, the highest available".

How can I get the Genie to realize the signal it's sending is to a 4K TV, it's just being passed-through an AV receiver?  I'd rather not mess around with ARC or optical audio return to get sound to the Onkyo from all my sources.

Message 1 of 5
Contributor

Re: How to get Genie to recognize 4K-compatible TV when HDMI signal passes through Onkyo A/V receive

I've got it--browsing through other posts I needed to use the HDCP 2.2 HDMI input 3 on the Onkyo for the Genie Mini 4K.  This port passes channel 104 through fine and I'm all good.  FYI my Onkyo is TX-NR737 and carries HDCP 2.2 and ARC on the Monitor Out.

I only wish I could configure the Samsung OneConnect to move ARC from HDMI4 to HDMI1.  I have a URC that is programmed to set the Samsung TV to HDMI1 at startup.  Since I don't have the URC CCP SW I'm hoping to avoid a reprogramming call to set that default to HDMI4.  Looking to get digital audio from content streamed directly to the Samsung into the Onkyo over ARC.  Any ideas that don't involve threading an optical cable?

Thanks for hints from the other posts.

Message 2 of 5
Tutor

Re: How to get Genie to recognize 4K-compatible TV when HDMI signal passes through Onkyo A/V receive

I too have the Onkyo TX-NR737 Receiver and I'm getting the same message: Your TV doesn't support 4K Content. You are watching in 1080p, the highest resolution available.

I have an LG OLED 65" with DirecTV. I'm feeding my DirecTV mini receiver cable through HDMI input 3 and feeding the ARC Output to my OLED. I keep getting the same message on DTV channel 104. When I plugged the DTV receiver directly into the TV, the message went away but the resolution was terribly downgraded and clearly not 4K. Strange because the more I read, the more I'm beginning to think it's a DTV issue with the receiver. 

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

@POPROCK92, verify that your Onkyo has the latest firmware update.  It might not be fully compatible with the 4K HDMI standards.  Check out the relevant thread for your Onkyo Receiver at www.avsforum.com

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎10-08-2017 6:07 PM

Litz, 

Thanks for the info. A combination of things seemed to fix the issue. 

1. The receiver did need the firmware update, as the one I thought I'd done previously didn't take.

2. My receiver only has 1 HDCP 2.2 input and 1 output. I plugged the cable box into the 1 input and sent the output directly to my OLED.

3. I went into the DirecTV settings and enabled 4K under the resolution settings.

Much appreciated!  

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support