Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to disconnect DirecTV from wifi PERMANENTLY!

Contributor

How to disconnect DirecTV from wifi PERMANENTLY!

I have tried EVERYTHING and the stupid thing will not disconnect. I've tried resetting the network, resetting the receiver, resetting my router, changing my wifi password (twice). It STILL re-connects all by itself. It's SOOO frusterating that I'm about to cancel my service as it's using all my data and then some & wracking up over-usage fees. PLEASE HELP!

Message 1 of 3
Former Employee

Re: How to disconnect DirecTV from wifi PERMANENTLY!

Using your Directv Remote, go to Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet Setup > Advanced Setup > Reset Network

Then press exit on the remote without reconnecting.

Once you are out of that screen and on a regular show, press "dash" button, below number 7 key on the remote and the screen will show you the receiver details including about the internet. It should say at the bottom part "Internet Not Detected".
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: How to disconnect DirecTV from wifi PERMANENTLY!

If you have changed your router password  but your HDDVR still can connect, there is a big concern. No device can automatically know what you have changed your password to. So I would verify password change was successfull (on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz if your router supports both). Many routers in their settings can deny devices you choose from being allowed service. Also make sure you don't have a guest connection open on your Wi-Fi network.

Make sure you are resetting to network defaults through the menu mentioned above as that tells the HDDVR to forget the current connection settings. If it tries to connect on its own (even unsucesfully as it cannot know what you changed your password to) then after resetting network defaults to unplug the power cord from the HDDVR for 15 - 30 seconds to make sure nothing stuck in some residual memory.

If it still connects after that, the only reasonable conclusion is that somebody else in the home is setting it back up because an HDDVR cannot guess your new internet password.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support