Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to activate 4k without a truck roll?

Highlighted
Tutor

How to activate 4k without a truck roll?

How do I activate 4k service on my account without a truck roll of a technician?

The official policy of AT&T is that there must be a service call.  The folks at techical support and at customer service are unable to activate 4k service unless a technician has visited my house.

I know that.  Please explain how to get an exception to this policy.

This is all pointless, annoying, and involves unnecessary expense.  There are some less polite terms, but please rest assured that I find this aggravating policy to be aggravating.

My system is already set up.  I have a DirecTV 4K-ready TV already on my LAN.  I have configured its DirecTV Ready app and have added its RVU as a location on the DVR.  I'm playing regular TV through that app just fine, without needing to use the HDMI cable.  All that needs to be done is to turn on the 4K service.

Yet, no phone representative can do it.

The folks in tech support cannot tell me what a technician will do, other than put the model number of the 4K TV into the system.  They mentioned putting a DECA on the cable. No, I don't need a DECA.  I have a really good hardwired LAN.  They mentioned "activating" the TV, but couldn't explain what that meant.

So what, exactly will the tech have to do to activate 4K service?

Message 1 of 20
Former Employee

Re: How to activate 4k without a truck roll?

First, what main Genie receiver model number do you have?

As of recently, they are making the HR54 required to upgrade to 4K services.

Message 2 of 20
Tutor

HR34-700.

This meets the requirements listed at http://www.directv.com/technology/4k .

Browsing around the Web, it appears that other people have been able to use this to access 4k service.

Message 3 of 20
Former Employee

Yes, that used to be the case.

This is a very recent change in the requirements. And even some existing customers that have those models of Genie receivers may need to upgrade to the HR54.

Message 4 of 20
Professor

Just take the upgrade with the hr54 you will have way more 4k options.There is not to much to view
4k on demand anyway

4k on the hr54 is the way of the future.
Message 5 of 20
Tutor

The first time I called about this, the rep talked about spending a lot of money on a new DVR and getting locked into a two-year contract...all to access a few UHD movies.  Yeah, that's ridiculous.

The official information on the DirecTV Web site is contradictory or just plain wrong, as you've pointed out.  The customer and technical reps usually don't know the answers to my questions and are not authorized to make exceptions.

I can't easily meet a technician at my house during the day.

So, what exactly would a technician be doing at my house?  How do I get that done without the technician at my house?

Do I really need to get a whole new box?

My current app on the TV that I use is just called "DirecTV Ready".  Is that the one for displaying 4K content via the RVU, or is there an entirely separate one that I can't see?

Message 6 of 20
Professor

A tech has to scan your tv into the system and activate it year serial number mac address all
That fun stuff.

Maybe spend a few mins on the phone with iss
Message 7 of 20
ACE - Expert

In order to meet DTV requirements they will need to run a coax to the RVU TV and add a DECA BB.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 20
Former Employee

They really do need to update the website and probably will soon and when more 4K programming becomes available. As stated, there's not much content right now, but there are plans for more and more content to become available in the near future, hence the push for the HR54.

With the upgrading to the HR54, that shouldn't lock you into a 2 year contract as there is a process in place with adding the 4K services and equipment onto your account (though it could use some work, and is also undergoing some updates).

Is there anyone else available to be there? As long as someone over the age of 18 is present they will be able to complete the install.

After the 4K service is on the account, a 4K homepage becomes available on channel 1102 (On Demand). The PPV movies are the only thing available at the moment until the live channels launch.

Message 9 of 20
Professor

Just make time for it you will love the 54 over that old dinosaur 34.Plus the 54 has the ability to use reverse linear lnb to deliver way more content than just a few ppv 4k movies
Message 10 of 20
Tutor

A tech has to scan your tv into the system and activate it year serial number mac address all
That fun stuff.

Maybe spend a few mins on the phone with iss

I can look up the MAC address and serial number and speak those numbers into a phone.  I don't need a tech for that.  Also, that wasn't required for activating the "DirecTV Ready" app.  Why is that necessary for allowing the app to see the 4K content?

Is there anything they will do that I can't do?  Some sort of secret code they enter or magic dongle they plug in to turn on the 4K features in the app?

What is ISS?

In order to meet DTV requirements they will need to run a coax to the RVU TV and add a DECA BB.

I don't need a DECA, as I already have an excellent hard-wired LAN with in-wall RJ45 jacks at each set.  If a tech comes and adds a DECA device, I will remove it and store it somewhere until I cancel my service.  I would like to avoid this.

Is there anyone else available to be there? As long as someone over the age of 18 is present they will be able to complete the install.

I'm the techie in the family.  Reading the forums here and elsewhere, most of the installers have not been adequately trained on 4K yet, and usually screw it up.  Past DirecTV installers have done dumb things like poke holes in the wrong place in my house or re-use sub-standard co-ax, leading to expensive fixes later.  AT&T has been worse.  I need to be there so I can guard him or her carefully.

Just make time for it you will love the 54 over that old dinosaur 34.Plus the 54 has the ability to use reverse linear lnb to deliver way more content than just a few ppv 4k movies

I think that what you just said is that my 34 will not be able to receive live 4K content from satellites notwithstanding the RVU client.  I will need the 54 to deliver live 4K content which will launch someday.  Is that right?

Ok, I'm listening.  How will the new 54 help me right now when I'm using the RVU built into the TV and the only content available right now is a few movies?  How much will it cost?  Will it lock me into a contract?

After the 4K service is on the account, a 4K homepage becomes available on channel 1102 (On Demand). The PPV movies are the only thing available at the moment until the live channels launch.

Yes, that!  How do I have AT&T just turn that on?  That's all I want them to do!  There's always a level 3 troubleshooter can do that sort of thing outside of the standard procedure.  How do I contact that person?

Message 11 of 20
ACE - Expert

You have to do it their way to use their service sorry.

While the HR34 will record 4K PPV content and send it to the RVU it appears that DTV now requires an HR54 to get the new 4K channels that are coming online, what if anything they will to with the HR34 is up to them. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 20
ACE - Master

Live 4k will need the new reverse band LNB installed,

and this requires an hr54 and a tech visit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 13 of 20
Tutor

So, a technician came by today, and it wasn't pretty.  In fact, it was pretty much a complete failure, except that I learned some things.  I talked to his Dispatch while he was here.  I talked to Tech Support afterwards.

Here is what I learned.  Maybe you will find it useful:

First, the tech was clueless.  I mean, he didn't know what was going on at all.  He just hadn't had the training.  I felt sorry for him.

Now, I can currently switch the "second TV" slot between the RVU on the 4K TV and the Genie Mini on the 1080p TV.  I can switch it back and forth as often as I like.  So, if I could get the account authorized for 4K, I would be all set.  However, I've realized that there is no good way to do that right now.

Dispatch can register the RVU and remove the Genie Mini from the account.  This will give me 4K, but then I'd have to send back the Genie Mini, instead of swapping back and forth.  This would force me to move the (full sized) Genie to the 1080p TV and use only the RVU on the 4K TV.  My wife hates the RVU, because it responds slowly and the text is blurry.  (I was hoping to use it only for the downloaded 4K movies.) So, this is not an option.

Dispatch can keep my account the way it is, but this means that they can't authorize the 4K, and the RVU can't see the 4K content.  Not a good option.

I could have both the Mini and the RVU.  However, this means that the RVU would count as a third TV and I would have to pay extra for it every month.  I.e., I would be paying for three TVs, even though I have only two.  Also the tech and Dispatch kept telling me that I would need to have a DECA on there to have the RVU work.  They kept telling me this even though I had the RVU working already, and the tech could see it working.  Not a good option.

One possiblity that might have worked would have been to get a 4K Mini and attach it to the 1080P TV.  This would have allowed authorization of 4K service and allowed me to swap to the RVU.  However, the tech didn't have any 4K Minis in his truck.  Also, swapping the old Mini for a 4K Mini would have locked me into a two-year contract.  So, not an option.

Later, upon talking with a tech support supervisor, I confirmed what Sky456 wrote earlier.  As of two or three weeks ago, they will not authorize 4K service unless it is for an HR54.  Mind you, the tech and Dispatch did not know this.

Now, the tech did have an HR-54 in his truck.  However, the tech had not heard of the Reverse Band, and certainly did not have the new LNB in his truck.  He was quite sure that the upcoming live service would worth with the current hardware on the dish.  Dispatch, however, knew that a new LNB was be available and required for live 4K channels.  Tech Support hadn't been informed.

In other words, before I can get live 4K, there's going to have to be another truck roll anyway, to plug in the new LNB.

Also, installing an HR-54 is not enough, as it cannot currently send a 4K signal through its HDMI output.  There still needs to be a 4K Mini or RVU to display 4K.  However, once "the download" happens, it will be able to display 4K video on a directly-connected TV.  I'm assuming that "the download" will be a firmware update that will coincide with the live 4K service on the new satellite using reverse band.

In other words, I'd still be stuck paying for a ghost "third" TV to get 4K.

I got very conflicting answers on cost and contract implications of getting the HR-54.  I have the "protection" plan.  That's supposed to include hardware upgrades, but would lock me into a fresh 2-year contract period.  However, there was conflicting information on whether it would cover this or have a fee attached.

Meanwhile, the tech contractor got very antsy.  He had to cancel his work order and couldn't really do anything.  This whole thing took a long time, and he didn't have any work to do, and knew he wasn't getting paid for the whole mess.

End result:  I gave up.  I'll just wait until 4K live service is available.  Those movies aren't that big a deal.  The information should be a lot more accurate at that time, and the techs should actually know what they're doing by then.

Nobody knows for sure, but rumors seem to indicate that the 4K / UHD live service will be available early April, and will not cost extra.

I have to say that it's pretty frustrating knowing that this trouble is all because of an AT&T policy roadblock.  There's no technical reason AT&T can't just turn on the 4K service.  It's all bureaucratic.  They have purposely put up roadblocks for reasons unknown, and they're inconveniencing me.  I am not a happy customer.

Message 14 of 20
ACE - Expert

You can't upgrade receivers in the Genie class although there may be a 4K upgrade coming but only DTV knows how and when they are rolling out 4K and what they will do with existing customers(4K upgrade?). A tech replacement of the receiver with an HR54 shouldn't extend or trigger a new contract and DTV policy is that a DECA BB be used to connect RVU TVs to the SWM system. There are always problems to iron out, certainly for early adopters.

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support