Helpful Links

How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

Teacher

How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

How do you reset your Genie Mini when "Wireless Connection Lost" error appears & error code 928 displays on the More Info screen? 

Message 1 of 26
Contributor

Re: How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

THANK YOU. I know this is over a year old but I literally made an account just to tell you how much I appreciate this solution. I have two screaming toddlers and the thought of trying to manage a phone call with directv was making me sweaty.

Message 16 of 26
Contributor

Re: How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

BuckFamof5 and JohnTRN - THANK YOU!  Yes, I'm shouting that!  There is nothing more annoying than calling Tech Support and having them walk you through the steps that you've already taken to fix your problem.  I got a replacement Genie on Friday and started the Add Client process and kept getting the Error 928 - call Directv.  Searched several sites and forums for solutions, but could not find anything, until late last night.  I started the process again this afternoon, using the methods as described above, and Voila! it worked!  Thank you again.

Message 17 of 26
Contributor

For those of you that do not get "more info", type in the 9876_ and follow the directions shown by John TRN.   When I called Directv the "underscore" was the missing link to get me going.  Thanks for the post!

Message 18 of 26
Contributor

Thanks for posting this....  I found I didn't get the "more info" screen but you can still do it entering the 9876 but a an underscore: 9876_ and follow the rest of the step.

Message 19 of 26
Mentor

You are paying for service. Not to be mistaken for service calls. However, most technicians that would have come to your home would have either done the steps that were spoken of or reset the entire system just as if they were installing it. The above steps yes will work but there is an easier way. There is no need to rest the video bridge that early in the process. This is the steps to act as if everything is new. Most of the time if you go to that screen that tells you to call customer service you hit that 9876 it will either reconnect or ask for a pin. The person that had gave those steps was just giving you all the info to make sure it worked. That issue shouldn't come up very often. In the last year as a Directv service/install tech I can say I had to run that code(or people call me that needed it, yes.....it happens just enough to know what to do but can't remember what you did to fix it) ...maybe a dozen times. 12 times in a year isn't often when you think 3 service calls a day, 5 days a week, 51 weeks(one week vacation) = 765. That is right at 1%.

Also that pressing and holding the reset button for 15 seconds...well the time is irrelevant. You have to hold it till you see the startup screen. Time can be different. Sometimes 30 seconds...sometimes 2 just depending on the software and hardware status of the mini. When I need help I call the Directv ISS (installation service support). They always recommend 30 seconds or until you see the splash blue startup screen.

Overall there can be so many different things to go wrong. No one knows all the right answers. My question is...Why in the did the connection drop in the first place? Knowing that always helps in troubleshooting.

Message 20 of 26
Tutor

As far as my issue went, the main box in the house had a HD trying to fail, so a new one was sent out under warranty. Initial self install was unsuccessful, even after calling the help line, so a tech was called out. Even he had trouble, until he performed the aforementioned steps.

Cheers!

John
Message 21 of 26
Contributor

Your post was the best! The technical people (who are outside the US) didn't know how to correct the problem. Fortunately, after reading your post and calling again and getting a great representative, I was able to get everything up and running. Thanks again!
Message 22 of 26
Contributor

OMG, I wasted HOURS trying to get the 3 Genie Mini's hooked up to the bridge after receiving a new receiver. Usually pretty good at doing these things, finally gave up and called DIRECTV. Went through solutions with the Tech but no luck, so we scheduled a service call.  Decided to do a little searching on this and well and behold came across the above instructions from the Teacher. I knew exactly what was been said since I spent hours going through all the processes trying to get them connected. Unbelievable, 9876 on each Genie Mini and it worked perfectly, maybe DIRECTV just wants to come to your home to boost up their satisfactory rating or keep their employees busy! I don't know or understand this but thank you for your post and my little girl is happy having TV in her room again.......

Message 23 of 26
Contributor

Thank you so much for these step by step instructions. Without them I would had to call out a tech. Thank you! Thank you!

Message 24 of 26
Highlighted
Contributor

I did the hard reset and it pulled up a screen that has the options of connect now or setup instructions. I will not let me select the connect now option and the setup instructions doesn't help? Do you know what I can do to fix this?

Message 25 of 26
Contributor

Finally. After an hour on customer service, I can cancel the tech visit. You'd think I needed to build a space ship in the backyard. 9876 >enter? Really? No one at Directv knows this? Many thanks! You should get a few free months of service.

Message 26 of 26
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support