Helpful Links

How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

Highlighted
Teacher

How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

How do you reset your Genie Mini when "Wireless Connection Lost" error appears & error code 928 displays on the More Info screen? 

Message 1 of 26
Teacher

Re: How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

Hopefully this helps others who may experience what we did when we upgraded our HR34 for an HR44. We had the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) and wireless Genie Mini's working before we upgraded, but when we swapped the HR34 for the HR44, the Mini's would not reconnect to the WVB. The "Wireless Connection Lost" error message kept appearing on all the TVs with Wireless Genie Mini's, even after resetting the WVB and the individual Genie Mini's. The error screen on the wireless TVs only showed 2 options: More Info or Try Again. "Try Again" did not work. When we clicked on More Info, it listed a bunch of troubleshooting steps and then showed error code: 928 and a message to call DirecTV. The blue box at the bottom right of the screen where your next options are usually listed showed a blank blue box. Customer support was unable to figure out how to fix the issue and said that the genie mini should have found the WVB and displayed a screen asking for the WVB 4-digit access code, so they scheduled a tech to come out to resolve the issue onsite. When the tech arrived, he was able to resolve the problem very quickly. All that was required was typing in code: 9876 on the "More Info" screen. Doing that re-activated the genie mini and shortly after, the screen appearded where we could enter our 4-digit WVB access code. Had the customer service rep known that 9876 code, we could have been up and running in a matter of minutes over the phone, instead, we spent over an hour on the phone and then waited another 2 days for a tech to come onsite.
Simple steps:
1. Reset WVB, ensure that the status light is a solid green before proceeding
2. Unplug all wireless genie mini's
3. Follow process to add wireless devices to WVB and get your personal 4-digit access code (you will need to enter this on all your genie mini devices)
4. Plug wireless genie mini's in and wait for on-screen display. If you get the "Wireless Connection Lost" error message, select "More Info"
5. If error code 928 is displayed, type in code: 9876
6. Wait for mini to reset and reconnect to WVB. Attempting to connect to video bridge... should be displayed. The status light on the mini should turn green once it reconnects.
7. Key in your personal 4-digit access code when prompted and select Add a New Location
8. Enter a name for your wireless location and then select Watch DIRECTV
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for each genie mini
10. Return to main Genie TV and select DONE on the Add Clients screen
11. All wireless mini's that are ON should have solid green network LED. After 1-2 minutes, the WVB LED should display a solid blue

Message 2 of 26
Contributor

Re: How to Reset Genie Minis - On-Screen Error Message: Wireless Connection Lost - error code 928

Thank you for posting this!  The field tech, phone support, and the phone support supervisor all did not know how to fix this problem.  Makes you wonder about what exactly we are paying for.

Message 3 of 26
Employee

There is a red reset button that simply restarts the wireless mini geini.

Now, resetting the wireless mini geini to a more default factory state would require you to select "More info" and choosing "Reset Connection".

This will force out the pin it used to connect to the main geini and allow you to re-pair the wireless mini geini using a new pin code.

This does not require you to go to the Wireless Video Bridge or go to the main Geini. This is all located in the Mini Geini on screen menu.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 26
Contributor

Replacing Genie HD reciever have 5 wireless Genies throughout the house. Have tried everything stated above but cannot reconnect the wireless Genies. No error codes when trying to connect wireless Genies.

Have tried resetting WVB twice, it does have a green light and a wired connect to the router. Have run system check on reciever everything checks out ok.

What are we missing here?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 26
Employee

@Jim_MAY the WVB should not have a wire connceted to your router. It needs to connect to the SWM coax network.

You also need to reset the wireless clients to default by pressing and holding the power button for 15 seonds.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 26
Contributor

That's exactly how it's connected.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 26
Contributor

Just one correction on BuckFamof5, "Simple Steps".

On step 5, after selecting "More Info", at the bottom right of your tv screen select, "Repeat Setup" then type in code: 9876.

The mini genies took about 5 minutes each to setup and connect.

Message 8 of 26
Contributor

This is the answer!  I've spent hours on the phone with tech support, and had to schedule a service call for a week from now to get this fixed.  Then I found this thread and solved the issue in about 15 minutes.  Thank you for posting this!

Message 9 of 26
Contributor

Thank you!  When I got a new receiver my minis would not connect and I kept getting the error code 928.  I was dreading a 2 hour call to Direct TV, but instead I followed the steps you listed and it worked.  Saved me lots of time.

Message 10 of 26
Tutor

Buckfamof5!  A THOUSAND THANK YOU'S!!!  Works like a charm!!!  Wish I could give you a MILLION KUDO'S for this but if you're ever my way I will buy you a drink and sing a special song for ya! Smiley LOL  

I absolutely HATE having to call tech support because they refuse to skip past the steps I've already done and they waste more time than anything else.  Don't get me wrong, they're great people doing a great job, but they go by the book...page by page.  I KNEW there HAD to be something past all of these normal and simple steps that was a fix.  A week ago this past Saturday, my Genie of the last 3 years started sounding like a small hovercraft ready to hit the water...turned it on and everything was gone...so I called DTV.  When I reset it..it actually came back but the tech could hear the thing OVER THE PHONE from 12 FEET AWAY LOL!  Thankfully I was able to copy all of my DVR and "To Do" list and finish watching shows before I installed it this past Saturday.  Nobody was watching the Genie Mini's in the other rooms until last night...and NOTHING I tried would work.   I was SO GLAD to find this and get them running before all the kids are back this coming weekend. 

Message 11 of 26
Contributor

Thanks! I spent an hour on the phone with directv and all the tech could do was have me reset everything a dozen times unplug it and reset it again. He finally scheduled a tech to come out the following day. I googled and found your answer first fix the problem myself. They didn't seem to care that I was able to Google the solution and they're paid text could not help me. Thanks for posting it on here for us
Message 12 of 26
Contributor

Thank you! After spending over an hour on the phone with the technician who could only tell me to unplug and reset everything a dozen times before telling me I needed a technician to come to my house, I googled and found your answer and fixed it myself within two minutes. I called to cancel my technician and told them how I fixed that he could care less. Apparently they don't care that their own text do not know how to fix things. And then try to make it sound like they're doing you a favor by waving the $50 fee
Message 13 of 26
Contributor

ONE CRITICAL ADDITION.

IF the 9876 in Step 5 does nothing nthen you need to do a hard reset of the mini.  This means press and hold the red reset button until you set a light blue start up screen.  This is the only way to get the mini to finally try to pair with the WVB and then take the code.  Oddly, an hour with the technition on the support line did not yield that you MUST press anh hold the rest button for about 15 seconds or until you get that start up screen.  Simply pressing nad releasing the red button will not do the hard reset. 

Message 14 of 26
Tutor

Just replaced our DirecTV Genie DVR due to HDD Failure. During the attempt to reconnect the Genie-Mini's, ran into the 928 error code, called Technical Support: among resets of the Genie, attempts at entering code 9876 would not get any response. Luckily, we were able to get a technician out under our Support Agreement. At first he also had trouble, then tried a different set of steps. Turns out the Software (Mini) has been updated and the required steps for entering 9876 on your unit may have changed . . . see Step 5. below, italicysed content.

Simple steps:
1. Reset WVB, ensure that the status light is a solid green before proceeding
2. Unplug all wireless genie mini's
3. Follow process to add wireless devices to WVB and get your personal 4-digit access code (you will need to enter this on all your genie mini devices)
4. Plug wireless genie mini's in and wait for on-screen display. If you get the "Wireless Connection Lost" error message, select "More Info"
5. If error code 928 is displayed, type in code: 9876 -> Enter (button, not 'Select') -> Dash (- Button)

5.a. Next steps MAY be different, should be similar, continuing should be fairly intuitive.
6. Wait for mini to reset and reconnect to WVB. Attempting to connect to video bridge... should be displayed. The status light on the mini should turn green once it reconnects.
7. Key in your personal 4-digit access code when prompted and select Add a New Location
8. Enter a name for your wireless location and then select Watch DIRECTV
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for each genie mini
10. Return to main Genie TV and select DONE on the Add Clients screen
11. All wireless mini's that are ON should have solid green network LED. After 1-2 minutes, the WVB LED should display a solid blue

Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support