Helpful Links

How can I keep from losing my time shifted content channel is accidently changed.

Tutor

How can I keep from losing my time shifted content channel is accidently changed.

I used to have Dish Network.  When I had time shifted a channel and I tried to change channels, it would warn me and require a response.  With my DirecTV system, it is terribly disheartening to have time shifted an hour of programming and then accidently hit the channel up on the remote and lose everything.  Is there any way to make the system ask for verification before you dump all of the time shifted content?

Message 1 of 12
Professor

Re: How can I keep from losing my time shifted content channel is accidently changed.

no either record it or using double play will keep it for 2 hours but will lose it if the channel is changed without using the double play down arrow.

Message 2 of 12
Employee

Re: How can I keep from losing my time shifted content channel is accidently changed.

unfortunately there is no way. you need to record the program if you are afraid you may loose the buffer

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 12
Expert

Anytime you are watching a program and want to change channels and may want to return to the current channel, press the R record button.  Simple as that and your "time shift" will be safe.

Message 4 of 12
Tutor

I don't think you are understanding the question.  I don't want to change channels.  My remote is constantly barraged by cats, dogs and others.  If I have time shifted content that I am watching and a cat steps on the remote, I lose everything I was watching.  It might be more than one show.  I don't have a plan to change the channel, it is unexpected.  So basically this is a feature that Dish has but DirecTV doesn't.

Message 5 of 12
Expert

We understand perfectly and we are offering you a workaround.  Again, when you watch a time shifted program, simply press the red record button.  It's not the same as Dish, but it will always guarantee that you won't lose the program.

Message 6 of 12
Tutor

You clearly don't understand because your suggestion is to record every show I watch?

Message 7 of 12
Employee

most folks record everything they watch and watch at their leasiure.  So this a non-starter for the majority of folks.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 12
Professor

So I guess you need to take the remote with you so that the cats can't change the channels.

Message 9 of 12
Tutor

Oh, in that case, I'm just watching TV wrong.

Message 10 of 12
Tutor

You have all convinced me.  I made a mistake when I switched from Dish.  DirecTV SUCKS if I can't watch it my way.  Dish doesn't have any problem doing what I am asking.  Maybe most of their viewers don't record everything.

Nobody wanted to answer my question, just tell me I'm doing it wrong.  I can't take the remote with me because I am disabled and stay in my bed.  If I am watching a channel I like and pause it to work on my computer, then I don't want to lose the show that is in the buffer.  Why is that so wrong?  Then the cat jumps on the bed and bumps the remote and I lose the show I was watching.

Clearly DirecTV is full of assh oles.  I'll be glad to dump you.

Message 11 of 12
Employee

Just press the R button to record the show. This way you don't have to worry about the cat jumping on the remote.

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support