Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How can I disconnect directv from wireless roter?

Contributor

How can I disconnect directv from wireless roter?

I would like to disconnect the genie receiver from the wifi to see if I can get improved wifi for my laptop 

Message 1 of 26
ACE - Expert

Re: How can I disconnect directv from wireless roter?

@lauriesg117, no, that's not an application.  It's simply a reflection of a network device on your home network, DirecTV's media share device.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 26
Mentor

There is an auto/manual connection setting in your advanced setup steps. I don't have one in front of me for the exact path I do apoogize for that. go to : Menu>settings&help> settings>internet setup/network setup(depending on the software) advanced setup> here's the step that has slipped my mind. it's the 3rd or 4th option down when you select it you will see an option for connection configuratin type, this is default set to auto. Change that to manual then back arrow and reset networks. Chose do not reconnect. This will stop the Genie from trying to auto reconnect. This one is not well known took me a while to find it.

Message 17 of 26
Contributor

The solution provided works, but then you lose access to the extended movies on demaind capability.  (1000+ range of channel numbers listed next to movies on demand titles.)  The other problem here is that the Directv Genie also will eat up every IP address your wireless or wired home router has to give out to your legitimate devices, including any that are already given to your PC, Tablet, Smartphone, etc, and eventually cause them to not be able to connect to the wireless.  Two devices can use the same address... neither will work.  It's an ugly way to operate a network device and Directv needs to fix it.  They're efectively DOS (Denial of Service) attacking your home network. Even when I reserve specific IP address for my other devices, they still evenually get kicked off by the genie that assumes any IP address is open for it to use.  At that point I end up having to reboot my wireless.  I just finally reset the network configs and left it unconfigured.  Sad...

Message 18 of 26
Contributor

what else does this "reset"? will I lose all my settings.ie my shows set to record? I started to do this and it said it will take a few minutes and will interupt active tv and recordings.  press backk to cancel.......

Message 19 of 26

They hardwired my connection to my router without my permission when they installed it. I was getting charged out the butt for overage charges on data and I tried to disconnect my internet from DIRECTV from my genie settings, but it was still connected. I found out that they had it hardwired. There was a cable going from my router to the main cable to the satellite. I disconnected it and the internet it still hooked up to the reciever, Come to find out, the installation guy connected it wirelessly and hardwired it. I am fed up with DirecTV. It's time to go to Dish. I'm tired of the non-sense charges. Do no hook you internet in. They eat your data and take all of your bandwidth. I get 150MBPS internet, which is extremely fast. My connection speeds were dropped from 150 to 19 when they had my connected hooked into my router. The genie receiver constantly updates, downloads, and uses your bandwidth. I work from home and I almost lost my job because my internet speeds were not fast enough to run my software. DirecTv does not care about their customers, only themselves. They literally stole my internet! I never gave them permission to do that!. GO TO DISH! Save yourself some time, money, and aggravation and let's put this evil, greedy company out of business!

Message 20 of 26
Contributor

Doesn't work. I do not want the receiver to SEE any Wi-fi. The update today on 20 September, 2017 lets it see Wi-fi. I want to turn this OFF. I do not want to see "connect to wifi" every time I change the channel. This is beyond annoying.

Message 21 of 26
Contributor

Doesn’t work 

Message 22 of 26
Contributor

Will these steps erase my current recordings or list of recordings?!

Message 23 of 26
ACE - Expert

@lyndshanna, no. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 26
Contributor

This works for a time, however the next time I turn on my hot spot it automatically reconnects. 

Message 25 of 26
Contributor

I have notice that too. I tryed to dodge this by connecting the “satellite box” (more like a f$&@$&@ data eater) to my wifi, that way, it isn’t looking for the house wifi. But when ever i need to use the hotspot cause my people are using the house wifi, the “data eater” uses the hotspot. I don’t know why the f$&@ DirectTV can’tuse their stupid brains to make a satellite box use the SATELLITE MAKING MY HOUSE LOOK UGLY AND TAKING SPACE insted of using the wifi that 1)i’m part of AT&T, so i shouldn’t be getting charged for internet that their own products are using and 2)my internet plan is the lowest of the low, and when they have improved their lower plan to speeds for relavent devices, they don’t give their customers the improved one, thus making us pay hard earned cash for lazyness of providing slower internet speeds

Message 26 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support