Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: How can I disconnect directv from wireless roter?

Contributor

How can I disconnect directv from wireless roter?

I would like to disconnect the genie receiver from the wifi to see if I can get improved wifi for my laptop 

Message 1 of 26
Community Support

Hi @Gdeardorf,

To disconnect your Genie receiver from your wireless router follow these steps.

Go to Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet Setup > Advanced Setup > Reset Network Figuration.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 26
Tutor

Can someone tell me why there isn't an option in the network setup to DISCONNECT Wifi from Direct TV.  This is the most un-user friendly system we've ever had.  Seems this company just wants to steer you in the direction to benefit them.. not to actually HELP the user.  It's a disgrace.  I'm simply trying to disconnect the Wifi connection so it doesn't continuously run and eat up all my internet allowance and just to do this I have to surf the internet hoping to find an answer on how to perform this function.  Just ridiculous!

Message 3 of 26
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎09-11-2016 5:15 PM

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet Setup > Advanced Setup > Reset Network exit without reconnecting.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 26
Tutor

Directv is highly incompatable with 4GLTE. Apparently, the genie receiver drops the satellite dish signal and latches onto the 4GLTE wi-fi signal, and just churns away. Just cost me $355 for the last 4 weeks to find that out. Anybody else out there pay almost $500 for last month's Directv wiyhout any premium channels?

Message 5 of 26
Contributor

I think that people are asking about how to use the SMART TVs that WE supposedly own without DirectTV pirating our connection.  I thought I used my tv to login to the internet and it was snagged by this company.  This company is robbing me of my right to use my property as I see fit.

Between this issue and recording ON DEMAND shows while I'm watching shows I wanted to record I am listening more closely to my friends who encourage me to drop you.

Message 6 of 26
Tutor

The Genie reconnected by itself last night and sucked down half a Gb, so I disconnected it again. Anyone know how to permanently disconnect it? I've been a Directv customer since '94, but i'm going to have to dump it, if I can't get it away from the 4GTLE

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 26
ACE - Expert

@jbjbjb, not sure how it could "connect itself" to your 4G LTE.  Has that Genie ever had it's network settings setup to connect to your 4G LTE hotspot?  Try restoring the Genie's "Network Defaults" and make no further network settings on the Genie DVR.  Then it shouldn't know anything about connecting to your 4G LTE hotspot.  Or maybe change your 4G LTE hotspot's SSID or password. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 26
Tutor

Thanks for your interest. You put "connect itself" in quotes, as if that
wasn't happening. I don't know if you followed this whole thread, but
here's what's happening. I have gone into settings & advanced settings and
disconnected Genie from my 4GTLE wifi, and hit the red reset button behind
the door. On the 4GTLE, I have changed the wifi and admin passwords,
stopped broadcasting the wifi name, and turned off the WPS. Genie stays
disconnected from the internet overnight, but it is reconnected when I get
home in the evening. What would you call it? Last month this resulted in
$355 in charges from Verizon. From some of the forums I've seen, I got off
cheap, $1000 charges are common, some over $1400
Message 9 of 26
ACE - Expert

If you have changed the password etc on your 4GLTE hotspot, then the Genie can't connect to it. Don't see how it can. How do you know it's the Genie that is using the 4GLTE?

Try forcing the genie to connect to a different network, assuming there are a few around. Of course it will fail, but at least then the default network will be different.

Message 10 of 26
ACE - Expert

Very puzzling.  Could someone else in your house be connecting it to your LTE hotspot?   As @TexasBrit points out, there's no way for the DVR to connect a secured WiFi network without someone providing the login credentials.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 11 of 26
Tutor

Day 6.
Progress? Last night I changed the admin and the wifi password, which were changed daily for the last 4 days. I turned the WPS back on, and the wifi name broadcast back on. For the first time, Genie did not reconnect while I was at work, still disconnected. Just in time, I got a Dish flyer in the mail.

Message 12 of 26
Contributor

I have also went through settings and reset connection and my Exede connects right back "by itself ". I have just started unplugging the router when I am away and can't keep checking settings.
Message 13 of 26
Tutor

I've noticed it connects around noon EST. After I contacted Directv, it
quit connecting every single day, but it won't go 7 days without
reconnecting itself, usually on Saturday. This is obviously a timed program
in the software. I am also told this is impossible, can't connect without
passwords, commands, etc. All these have been changed over and over at the
router. Wonder if the FCC knows about this? Directv funneling money
straight to its parent corporation, AT&T? One thing that will work is
dropping my 22 year Directv experience and going with Dish.
Message 14 of 26
Highlighted
Contributor

On your PC  under settings then in the device and printer setting , Direct Tv installed a program called Direct tv media share, actually there is two. I just removed them from my computer, let's hope that will be the end of direct tv hijacking my WIFI

Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support