Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Hod do I access over-the-air stations on the GENIE without a separate antenna input?

Hod do I access over-the-air stations on the GENIE without a separate antenna input?

My older DVR had a separate RF antenna input jack that allowed us to connect an external TV antenna to our receiver in order to pick up 33+ local (free) over-the-air stations and their digital sub-carriers. DirecTV came out today and replaced our ailing older receiver/DVR with the wonderful new GENIE box, but was informed by the installer that there was no way to connect my external antenna to the GENIE as it does not have an RF input jack for an external TV antenna. Our SONY flat panel TV alsdo does not have an antenna input jack (even if it did, I would no longer be able to record any of the off-the-air programming I had been able to record prior to today.

My wife and I watch and record many of our favorite 'classic tv' shows that we grew up with on Tampa/Clearwater over-the-air channels 8.2 (MeTV on WFLADT2), 10.2 (WTSPDT2), 13.2 (WTVTDT2), and 38.2 (WTTADT2) daily.

All the Technician could suggest was buying a digital TV convertor box and plug the composite output (red, white, yellow cables) into my TV (again, that does not help me record shows that are on in the wee hours of the morning)... Cat Sad

Any suggestions? I was paying ~$170/month under my old system and was able to get the over-thge-air sub-channels. I'll be paying slightly more for the new system and losing 33 channels.

Sincerely,

David and Lynn

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎12-29-2015 10:15 AM

Re: Hod do I access over-the-air stations on the GENIE without a separate antenna input?

The tech was wrong.  You just need to add an AM21/AM22 Off-Air Tuner Accessory to your Genie DVR.  The AM21 is a separate box that connects to the Genie's rear panel USB port and your off-air antenna cable.  You then run the Antenna Setup from the Genie DVR's Setup Menu and most of your local off-air channels will be integrated into the Guide.  Note, however, that not all of the "lesser" sub-channels will be included in the Guide.

The AM21/22 can be purchased from dealers like Solid Signal .... www.solidsignal.com

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 14
ACE - Expert

Re: Hod do I access over-the-air stations on the GENIE without a separate antenna input?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=OBO-AM21&d=OPEN-BOX-ITEM---DIRECTV-AM21-Off-Air-Dual-Tuner-fo...

You might find one for cheaper on eBay.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the info! I find it a little expensive, especially since my older DVR had this capability built in, but I guess if I want to watch my off-channel shows that are on the sub-carriers I'll have to buy one... grrrrr

Message 4 of 14
Former Employee

DirecTV provides the tuner for free. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

DTV doesn't support the AM21 anymore and doesn't sell them, don't about free but the AM21 doesn't get all the sub channels as they stopped updating the data base around the end of 2010 so any sub channel that came online after are not there.

Message 6 of 14
ACE - Expert

@Sky456, I don't think they provide them for free anymore.  It's certainly worth asking, though.  

Message 7 of 14
Expert

@Sky456 DIRECTV end of lifed the AM21. They no longer offer it for new customers and is no longer supported. 

Message 8 of 14
Former Employee

My apologies, it is still showing in the DirecTV systems as order-able. Even though it is not...

Message 9 of 14
Contributor

this should be supplied by directv because they are having the dispute with cbs stations not the consumer.

Message 10 of 14
ACE - Expert

@gbakka wrote:

this should be supplied by directv because they are having the dispute with cbs stations not the consumer.

Call DirecTV at 1 800 531 5000

Customers in cities impacted by these crazy contract disputes can indeed get a Local Channel Connector for their HR44/HR54 Genie DVRs for free. 

Message 11 of 14

Direct tv will send you a antenna that hooks into your main genie receiver and it shld also pick up on any of your genie weanies that's what the rep told me . I actually got mine hooked up today  and I can get a cple of over the air local channels  but not sure how to record them cus it just says regular schedule I'll be really mad if I cant record my favorite shows on nbc in the fall ... still thinking about switching to dish but who knows if dish will lose the local.channels you wld think the goverment cld put a stop to the black out channels I was told nbc /kmtr  in oregon wld never return to direct tv/att !we as the loyal customers  already have to pay and arm and a leg just to get satellite we are the ones being screwed over by the locally own broadcasting owners and by direct tv it's sad cus it's all about greed and money ... 

Message 12 of 14
ACE - Expert

OTA channels use 2.1 2.2 etc to designate the channel so you select the 2.1 channel to receive the OTA channel 2 to receive the sat channel, not sure how the LCC shows this.

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert

@gbakka wrote:

The previous posts and start of thread are from 2015 regarding the AM21 that was discontinued at that time.

However, DirecTV has been working on the successor called the Local Channel Connector (LCC). Same intention of connecting a antenna to your DirecTV box. Currently it only supports the 2nd and 3rd generation Genie (HR44 and HR54), so is not for boxes that remain on the last generation software. It comes with a indoor antenna included, but you can connect your own if preferred.

The LCC is technical in testing markets (Salt Lake City and Las Vegas), but recently DirecTV has offered it to some in an area affected by the Nexstar or CBS directly owned negotiations. Stock may be limited as had not reached national launch status yet, but you can still call in and ask.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support