Explore & discover

Helpful Links

High Pitch Noise When First Turning On Receiver or sometimes changing channels.

Teacher

High Pitch Noise When First Turning On Receiver or sometimes changing channels.

I am getting a High Pitch Noise coming from the speaker when first turning on the receiver or sometimes changing channels.  It seems to go away once the channel is tuned in.  Is there a fix for this or do I need to request a new receiver.  This is a Genie 4k mini model C61K-700.

Message 1 of 12
ACE - Expert

Re: High Pitch Noise When First Turning On Receiver or sometimes changing channels.

Coming from what speaker?  TV?  Soundbar?  AV Receiver?

How is the C61K connected to the device with the speaker?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12
Teacher

Re: High Pitch Noise When First Turning On Receiver or sometimes changing channels.

The noise is coming from the soundbar.  The C61K is connected to the TV via HDMI cable then an optical cable to the tv to the soundbar.  I want to be able to use the soundbar with other devices so that is why the soundbar is connected to the TV via optical cable.

Message 3 of 12
ACE - Expert

Try disabling "Dolby Digital" in the C61's Audio Setup menu.  See if that helps.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12
Teacher

So if that works, no Digital Dolby sound?
Message 5 of 12
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by steve123
‎11-28-2017 4:45 AM

Right.  But it doesn't really matter with a Soundbar.  Dolby Digital only makes a difference if you're using a 5-ch Surround Sound Receiver.  

If disabling DD audio fixes it, then the "noise" is most likely caused when your TV and/or Soundbar have to switch between 2-ch PCM and DD5.1 audio bit streams.  Disabling DD5.1 audio will keep the audio always 2-ch PCM.  

You could try connecting the DirecTV box's audio output to your Soundbar, but that would complicate audio with your TV and its apps.  

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 12
Teacher

Thanks..that was it, I turned off DD and no more screeching noise.
Message 7 of 12
Scholar

I have this issue as well with my Yamaha receiver and wireless Genie mini C41W. If dolby digital is turned on I get this awful high pitched sound when pressing play after pausing a show or chaining channels. And I do have a full 5.1 system so having DD would on would be nice. No issues at all with any other equipment hooked up to my TV and didn't have the problem with cable. I guess I will try connecting the C41W directly to my reciever but I'll have to get a new coaxial audio cable since the c41W dose not have spdif. 

Message 8 of 12
ACE - Expert

@sean8102, check your AV Receiver's relevant thread at www.avsforum.com to see if others have this same issue with that AV Receiver.

You can buy optical/digital audio converters at places like Monoprice or Amazon. 

Message 9 of 12
Contributor

We were having the same issue on two of our TVs. One has a sound bar, the other does not. Thanks to this thread I fixed it! Both TVs making the awful sound are 4K Samsungs. In the additional sound setting I had to change HDMI Audio Format from Bitstream to PCM. No clue what any of that means, but it worked on both TVs. I did not have to switch any cables and our soundbar works just the same.

THANK YOU!

Message 10 of 12
Contributor

What can I do if I have surround sound and have this same issue with my 4K mini. I don’t want to lose my surround sound by turning off the Dolby. I also use the tv for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon so removing the optical cable doesn’t work. 

Message 11 of 12
Contributor

I still get this noise with DD turned off, backlight turned up, and reconnected TV directly to STB rather than receiver.  

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support