Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HS17

Tutor

HS17

I recently had an upgrade from DirecTV. The installer replaced my HR44 with the HS17.

It appears to be quite buggy! When you change channels, the screen goes blank for a few seconds then it reappears at the new channel requested.

Also, it freezes quite often!

Any information that would improve things? 

Thanks, John

Message 1 of 16
ACE - Expert

Re: HS17

You've got the newest Genie Server/DVR product.  So, yes, it's still a big "buggy".   Expect frequent software updates.  

With respect to the channel changing issue, try changing the Genie Client Video/HDTV settings to disable "Native Resolution" and select only one output "Video Resolution" checkbox (e.g. 1080i). This way the Genie won't change its output video resolution between channel changes (480i, 720p, 1080i). That often helps this issue. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 16
ACE - Master

the hs17 is the newest unit.  its in limited release.

not many people will actually have any info about it

but try setting the output resolution on the mini to only what the tv can handle (720p and 1080i/1080p fir an hd tv)

also try it with native off, or on, whatever is opposite of what it is now

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 16
Tutor

Thanks! The all the possible resolutions were checked. I disabled all except 1080 and that seems to do the trick. 

Thanks,

Jaysea

Message 4 of 16
ACE - Expert

You're welcome. Enjoy!

Message 5 of 16
Tutor

UPDATE!

The HS17 is still very unstable. I followed all of the suggestions given to eliminate the issues that I mentioned earlier. At first it seemed to fix the issues. But, after a few weeks, the issues of video and audio drops are still happening. However, not consistently. The same symptoms are present on both the wireless and wired Genies. Also, during regular viewing, the video and sound drops for a few seconds as well.

Never had any problems with the HR44! I want it back! All I wanted was to add another user! But, DirectTV told me that I was eligible for an upgrade. That sounded great, but I did not expect to be given a piece of beta equipment!

Any suggestion as to getting the trusty HR44 back?

Message 6 of 16
ACE - Expert

You would need to take that up with DTV.

Message 7 of 16
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!

I am going to call them. However, customer service is another problem altogether 😰

Message 8 of 16
ACE - Expert

With looking to go from an HS17 back to the origional Genie line (HR44 or HR54 are the available models), I wouldn't call. Instead go to @ATTDIRECTVCare to send them a private message. Over the phone agents would probably only be able to look at an upgrade which would be at a cost since you just upgraded. Private message to see if they can do anything since the beta test is not working for you.

Message 9 of 16
Teacher

I've been going through the same problems. HS 17 replaced three times. Various "wireless Genie minis" replaced. Wireless Video Bridges installed. Nothing works. It still stuttered and stopped, froze and restarted.

I've spent about 4 hours on the phone and four days home from work, dealing with Customer Support and onsite techs. After four onsite visits and three new HS 17s, I FINALLY convinced them to "downgrade" me back to an HR 54 (for free--they've been trying to charge me $299 to downgrade) and voila! Most of my problems went away. Still having issues with the wireless mini clients just completely dropping off the network, requiring me to go through the "Client Setup" at least once p/day.

So the problems are not JUST with the HS 17, but also the wireless mini genies.

Later, after even more T/S, I finally got a Customer Service rep to "credit" me the cost of new Coax-based mini-genies, which should go in next week. With that, I'll once again be off Wifi and back on Coax. Thank the Lord.

Here's the problem with ATT/DirecTV Support:

- They tell you they "escalate" you to a Case Worker. But this case worker has ZERO authority to "credit" or "give" you anything. All they really do is hand-hold you through the troubleshooting and try and give you the feeling that "they care" and that someone a step above the call center is helping you. I found that NOTHING I did with the Case Worker was tracked by the field techs, and vice versa

- If you talk to a Customer Support Rep towards the end of the week, forget about "getting" anything, because by then they have hit their "Credit Allowance." Yep, they can only give away so much free stuff each week. One Tech could "credit" me the cost of pulling the HS 17 and putting back in the HR 54, but couldn't "Credit" me the coax mini-genies. Once the HR 54 was installed and I called back in complaining that the wifi mini genies were still dropping off the network this Rep was able to "credit" three of the mini genies, but said, "I'm putting a note when I come in on Monday and my allowance resets, to credit you the last mini-genie."

The whole thing is ridiculous. If it doesn't work, they should make it right, not make you jump through hoops. Hope you get it all worked out, but based on my experience, you have a long road ahead of you. Seriously, consider paying the early -term fee and going elsewhere. Which reminds me--they told me my early term fee was $480, which is only for new customers. Existing customers should pay no more than $240. When I asked why my fee was so high, "I'll have to open a Case for that and have someone call you." They never called.

I've filed a complaint with my State's PSC and I suggest you consider if it you get the run around. 

Message 10 of 16
Tutor

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure if, we are getting used to the flawed performance of the HS-17, or directv pushed some updates to the unit. The biggest complaint I have is the freezing. The lag time between channel changes is still happening but, not every time. 

I'm sure that is what "they" are counting on! 

Message 11 of 16
Tutor

There is no way they can fix anything. I have been calling for over a month about the HS17 and mobile DVR app.  No one listens only thing they can do or say is they are going to escalate it (which means they think it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then they do nothing). 

Message 12 of 16

I just swapped out my Genie 2 back to the Genie 1 for exactly this problem.  Even using a wired client the 4+ second lag was too much.  I had DTV downgrade me back to the Genie and all is well again.

HOWEVER... this is the problem. DTV has made no provision to downgrade your equipment.  5 hours on the phone and 4 tech visits in 4 days to get this back to normal.   Their computer system can not handle this type of change and I had to jump through hoops to get this done but it finally happened about 3 hours ago.  Waiting for all to simmer down and I just wanted to add another TV.

Beware... there is no fix for this for about 6-12 months.  This is a Genie 2 server issue, along with the wireless issue I would not recommend the 'free' upgrade.

Message 13 of 16
Teacher

The HR54/C61K which I have, has been out for over 18 months and it's STILL an unstable piece of garbage. I'm seeing a ton of threads like this elsewhere. Anyone who thinks AT&T will fix the HS17 any time soon is delusional. 

Message 14 of 16
Tutor

After reading all of the replies regarding this "upgraded" system, just shows that DTV has not done their due diligence and thoroughly test before launching.

It appears as though, WE are their R&D team. Therefore, we should receive free service, or be paid for our frustrations!

I don't know, maybe a $100.00 per post, where a problem is identified in which they must pass on to their engineers.

Jaysea 

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support