Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: HS17 replacement

Tutor

HS17 replacement

I am having problems with all 4 of my installed clients. Problems include, but not limited to, picture freeze, unwarranted reboots, changing channels with remote causing reboots, and the list goes on with too many problems as others here have stated. Again, this happens on each " client" and at various times for no reason. I have unplugged, turned off, and reset each client and the HS17 server to many times and I feel I shouldn't have to. So back to my question, seems these problems are on all "clients", can I assume a HS17 server would possibly eliminate these problems ? I do not have all 4 TV's on at once, the most is 2. It also does not matter the time of day or the weather conditions. I live in Goodyear, AZ so weather is not an issue. I have had the system for over 1 tear now and this has been a constant problem from day one. DTV C/S has the standard answer of rest this, unplug that, we are working on it, or we have never heard of this problem, depending who I talk to.

Message 1 of 18
ACE - Expert

Nope, the HS17 has the same software as the other Genies and it is the Genie that may be causing most of the problems.  There is another update in beta testing that may fix it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 18
ACE - Expert

Genie-2 is restrictive as only allows Clients.

Use your next free upgrade to replace a Client with HDDVR. Takes some processing load off the Genie. Also gain 2 tuners, instead of taking one from the Genie, and 500GB recording space. Unlike Clients, can work even if ever the Genie doesn't. No monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR.

Assuming you have the HR44 or HR54, the new Interface is getting more updates to smooth it out. If you have the HR34, warranty replace it per known issues with that original hardware design that cannot be fixed by software updates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 18
Tutor

Thank you for your response. Let me tell you this, I am not to familiar with how this system is suppose to work, I just want things to work as promised from DTV sales person. That being said, here is just a little more info and I hope you can help me out as to what to do next.

Model # from equipment are as follows:

1 ea. HS17-100 and 4ea. C41W-100 minie genies(I think that is what they are called)

I have the protection plan if these are not the latest and greatest.

Thank you, 

70 something in Arizona

Message 4 of 18
ACE - Expert

The HS17 is the latest Genie, the C41W are the first wireless model DTV made, there is a C61W out but unknown if they are in wide release.

Wireless in our opinion is the worst way to go.

You can't add any HRDVRs or HXX receivers.

The protection plan only covers the shipping cost and service calls and replacing remotes it doesn't get you the latest equipment.

Message 5 of 18

Can you have a DVR and HS17 on the same account?   Could be wrong but I thought that was one of the HS17 limitations.   

Message 6 of 18
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Nope, the HR17 account will not allow any other DTV receivers only minis/clients.

Message 7 of 18
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by jetblast
‎09-23-2018 9:31 PM

The biggest issue with Genie-2 (HS17) is that it forbids HDDVRs, and any other non-Client boxes, from being on the account. So only Mini Genie Clients, or TVs with a built in RVU Client (not recommended) may be used.

HDDVRs have their own processing, tuners and recording space. This is why I recommend a regular Genie with HDDVRs, instead of the Genie-2 that only allows Clients.

The Genie-2 is the latest equipment, but is certainly not the greatest because it has restrictions by design and some post launch bugs.

C41W was the only wireless model. A C61W has been seen this year, but unknown if fully released or in beta testing. Cannot upgrade from one to the other as like for like (both wireless Client), but warranty replacement is for same model number or newer depending on stock. However wired is preferred over wireless as more reliable.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 18

I just had 3 - C61W's installed to replace existing C41W's as part of my protection plan's  bi-yearly upgrade.   It took a few discussions  but in the end they agreed that replacing 41's with used/refurbished 41's wasn't an upgrade.  

As for how they perform, I can say without question that when paired with the HS17 (and within signal range and available wireless channels) they exceed any wired/wireless Genie client I've used, including the 61K.  The biggest change is support for the 4x4 MIMO and 802.11 AN+AC standards.   You can Google those standards for details but let's just say that it can and does connect those 2 devices considerably faster than coax.  I'm talking up to 1,300 Mbps fast (See pic).

So that's why I find it strange when people shy away from wireless.  Maybe its an issue in those rare densely populated areas where the 5 GHz spectrum is over saturated. Maybe.

For everyone else, in my opinion, you should go wired only when there is a reason preventing wireless.  

20180924_003409.jpg

Message 9 of 18
ACE - Expert

C61Ws are not an upgrade either, minis are minis. DTV only considers adding another TV as an upgrade.

Message 10 of 18
ACE - Expert

You are lucky you got C61Ws. Upgrades haven't been able to select a specific model number. So an "upgrade" to wireless Client, still had a chance to get C41W. Just like how HR34, HR44, HR54 are "like for like" as they are all Genies. But the HR44 and HR54 are vast improvements over the original HR34. When it comes to Clients it is wired (C31, C41, C51, C61), wireless (C41W, C61W), or 4K Client (C61K) for the different lines of "upgrades".

The issue about shying away from wireless is many people still have 2.4Ghz devices, which is over saturated. Plus other devices like microwaves can interfere with the signal. Wireless is improving, but is prone to interference that wired in general doesn't deal with as much if at all.

Message 11 of 18

I wouldn't say luck, maybe persistent.   Told them I pay for this right and it clearly states  an upgrade in the protection plan agreement.    Asked the CSR if she leased a car with an upgrade option and it came time to trade it in if  she leave the lot in a used copy of the same model and still pay the same note?   She laughed and said heck no I wouldn't, let me get this ordrord for you...

Message 12 of 18

Also, the HS17 only uses the 2GHz for internet if wired is not an optoon.  5 GHz is clients.  FYI.  

Message 13 of 18
ACE - Expert

That perspective makes sense. HR44/HR54 are thematically upgraded to the HR34, even though they are all Genie and cannot "upgrade" from one to another. Genie-2 (HS17) being a new line of equipment so is an "upgrade" to the regular Genie, though I personally consider it a downgrade per the restrictions it has.

It just comes down to that a DirecTV "upgrade" means different type to different type (HD non-DVR to HDDVR, regular HDDVR to Genie, wired Client to wireless Client, Client to HDDVR, etc.), or adding another TV (going from no box to a box). If they can now select a specific model number that is great, which though to date hasn't been an option but there is little info on C61W out there yet.

Message 14 of 18

Gotcha. It shouldn't surprise me that they found a way to complicate a simple word like upgrade.
Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support