Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HS17 client compared to HR44 or 54

Teacher

HS17 client compared to HR44 or 54

I currently have an HR44 with 2 clients. I pay for the upgrade plan and am looking to upgrade to 4K but since I am a current subscriber my only option is a Genie2 and HS17 clients. I can not get the HR54. My question is do the HS17 clients work like to older clients like what I have connected to my HR44?  On my main tv which is hooked to the HR44 when I fast forward on the slowest speed and press play the program picks up right where it is. On my current clients when I do the same the program backs up 2-3 seconds. Do the HS17 clients do the same thing? I watch a lot of sports and like to fast forward between pitches and huddles and I don' want it to back up. I know this is a small thing but I don't want to go backwards if I upgrade. I have talked to DTV several times and no one understands what I am asking or they just don't know.                                                                                   Thank you

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Professor

Re: HS17 client compared to HR44 or 54

They're the same clients (models) and  I would personally NEVER get a genie 2 (hs17) since it's a client only system no other receivers allowed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

You don't need the HS17  for 4K the HR54 gets the 3 4K channels you only need the C61K mini to watch them in 4K.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
ACE - Professor

@shannon02, he stated they will only offer the genie2 for his upgrade, I guess existing customers can't choose an hr54 as opposed to the genie2 for a 4k upgrade, I can completely see directv's system restricting the csr from choosing the 54 instead of the genie2. I can also see a csr possibly overlooking the option but more than likely it's the system forcing a genie 2.

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

In my opinion there is not sufficient 4K content to warrant replacing your HR44 with an HS17.  The HS17 is still too buggy. 

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Teacher

I called again today and now I was told I could upgrade to an HR54 no upfront charges or extra monthly fees. Now my question is about the HR54. Is it a better system than the HR44? What are the pros and cons of wireless clients compared to hard wired. I currently have a wired system. I will probably be locked in for another 2 years. Is there anything new out there that I should wait on before upgrading. I have been a DTV customer since Primestar so I don't plan on going anywhere. Thank you for the responses

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ddrow
‎10-14-2018 6:01 AM

Other then being able to get the 4K channels there is not much difference between the two, it does have a slightly faster CPU.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 9

Re:hr44

Have you experts experienced the on demand and DVR list problems? I have seen posts from 2017 complaining about them. We called in August and were told wait for the next software update in 90 days. But it's an ongoing issue and the problem is they don't know the cause! I personally think they are connected. Our DVR list was working fine for a couple weeks and we thought it was fixed. Then we had the on demand issue twice in one day and immediately the DVR list problem was back. Resetting the box does fix it, but that is not always possible if you are recording or need to record and have to wait for the guide to populate!

The on demand issue is: you go to a series to record a season and it is missing episodes or whole seasons. Sometimes if you exit and try again, you might get one of the missing ones, but it will only record one episode at a time, so you have to wait till the other missing ones show up again! While we were having this problem yesterday, I tried to find the episode on the app. The same episode was missing on the app. So I thought it was a directv problem, but once we reset the receiver, the app worked too! 

The DVR list problem is actually worse than it was 3 months ago! You go to your list that should be 3 or 4 pages, and you only have 5 or 6 shows total! When we first had this problem, you could go to the menu on the right and choose movies or TV shows and all your shows would be there. But as of yesterday when it started again, viewing the list differently didn't help at all. The only solution again was reset!

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

The channels control what is available on their On Demand servers not DTV.

The next update is rumored to fix the list problem and some have posted they have received it so hopefully it will be coming soon.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn how to troubleshoot your DIRECTV DVR & Receiver. View DVR & Receiver Help!
Additional Support