Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HS17-100 vs HS17-500

Highlighted
Teacher

HS17-100 vs HS17-500

What are the technical differences between the two Genie's mentioned in the Subject line.

Message 1 of 18
Employee
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎04-05-2019 1:29 PM

Re: HS17-100 vs HS17-500

The hs17-100 is made by Thomson and the hs17-500 is made by Humax. That is the only difference, the last 3 digits reference the manufacturer. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 18
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-22-2019 3:07 PM

@mikeds wrote:

What are the technical differences between the two Genie's mentioned in the Subject line.

None. Just different manufacturers. 

-100 - Thomson/Technicolor (formerly RCA)
-200 - Samsung
-250 - TiVo (no longer active)
-300 - Pace (formerly Philips)
-400 - Hughes (no longer active)
-500 - Humax
-600 - LG
-700 - Pace
-800 - NEC
-900 - Non existent

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 18
Teacher

That naming convention is extremely confusing to clients like me. One naturally assumes that the -500 is newer (better) than the -100. And it is doubly frustrating because nowhere on directv.com can you learn this!
Perhaps you can also answer the following question. My Genie2 just installed a new user interface. Is there any documentation available on this new interface? They changed quite a few features.
Thank you very much for your answer.
m.
Message 4 of 18
ACE - Expert

Nope, DTV never release any info on their updates.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 18
Teacher

Thank you. From my perspective, a major change to the UI of a complex device needs to be documented. Perhaps it will be, eventually. Sigh.
m.
Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

@mikeds wrote:
Thank you. From my perspective, a major change to the UI of a complex device needs to be documented. Perhaps it will be, eventually. Sigh.
m.

The GUI changed last year.  Search the forum and you'll find several posts, some started by AT&T/DirecTV, that describe the new and changed features. 

Message 7 of 18
Teacher

Well, my UI changed yesterday, with no warning, and there are no user guides on the DirecTV site yet to lead us. I need a new guide.
m.
Message 8 of 18
ACE - Expert

They are on this forum not on DTV's website.

Message 9 of 18
Teacher

My apologies for not understanding your reply. But I am concerned about the lack of documentation about at new DTV DVD. Seems relevant to me.
Thanks for replying.
Message 10 of 18
ACE - Expert

@mikeds wrote:
My apologies for not understanding your reply. But I am concerned about the lack of documentation about at new DTV DVD. Seems relevant to me.
Thanks for replying.

Lots of posts in this forum about the new GUI. And it's really not that hard to figure out. If you have any specific questions, just ask us. 

Message 11 of 18
ACE - Expert

The -100, -500, etc. are the manufacture code. Just means which manufacture built the box, but they are all made to the same specs. So the Genie-2's model number is just HS17. This is the first and only generation of this equipment. So the model numbers for current equipment go H (HD box), HR (HDDVR), HS (Headless Server), and C (Mini Genie Client). Also previously was D (SD) and R (SDDVR). Only before the dash matters.

The 2nd and 3rd generation Genie (HR44, HR54) and the Genie-2 (HS17) all get the new graphical user interface (GUI) software. There is not guide, manual, or such released by DirecTV as it is an ongoing software update. Unfortunately there are no release/patch notes to view from the company itself. You can browse the forum or ask questions about specific features to get more information. Though I find the new GUI fairly straight forward, even changing some menu names to be more logical for what they are.

However the Genie-2 (HS17) has some key differences that make it worse than the regular Genie line. The HS17 brags it is a 7 tuner box with 2TB recording space and can use up to 7 Clients at the same time. The regular Genie has 5 tuners and 1TB recording space and can use up to 3 Clients at the same time. This misleads people to think the HS17 is better. What they don't realize is that the HS17 forbids other HDDVRs from being on the account so the system is hard capped. Genie allows HDDVRs, so with 2 of them is 9 tuners. Main Genie has Picture in Picture (PiP) which the HS17 does not. Clients must share the recording list and parental controls of the main box as they are just extensions of it. But regular HDDVRs and Genie setup would allow you to have more individual settings and even hide one recording list from the other HDDVRs if needed. And if main Genie/Genie-2 goes down, all Clients go down as well as they cannot work by themselves (each takes a tuner from the main box). There is no monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR, so a regular Genie setup is more reliable than the HS17.

Message 12 of 18
Teacher

Wow. Good information. Thank you.
I didn't understand the differences when I made my order with DirecTv for the upgrade from my (at least) ten year old HD DVR. I think I asked for an HR54, but they gave me an HS17 + the 4K mini instead anyway. With 7 tuners, it is really fast at refilling the disk with all those show that we had recorded on the old unit!
Two things I don't get, however, is why they continue to download the guide over the satellite link, which seems to take several days initially, when there is a high speed Internet connection available; and why they don't also remote the DVR UI to the Internet via a web server.
Message 13 of 18
ACE - Expert

When it comes to 4K there is a single difference as well. The Genie-2 (HS17) can use up to 2 Clients at the same time using a 4K channel where the HR54 can only have 1 using a 4K channel (regardless of how many 4K Clients that you have).

Since there are only 2 channels in 4K plus a few PPVs, that minor difference does not make the Genie-2 worth it in my book per all the capability that is lost from a regular Genie setup.

DirecTV is designed to transmit all the programming info through satellite as it is a satellite service. Internet is for optional secondary features such as On Demand channels which are from the individual channel's online library. As not everybody has good enough internet, or internet at all, DirecTV does not put additional load as it would be a massive download across the board. Also many people have a data allowance that has trouble with the On Demand download itself.

Message 14 of 18
Contributor

I've seen some threads that state you can connect an external eSata HD to the Genie 2 HS17.  I tried with no success.   I tried to connect the same Fantom 4TB drive I had on the previous Genie HD DVR.  The only hook up difference seems to be a choice of eSata from the Fantom Drive  to USB 3.0 on the Genie 2 versus eSata to eSata like the older Genie.  I used an eSata to USB 3.0 cable for connection.  I powered down the Genie 2, connected and powered up the HD and then powered up the Genie 2 hoping it would recognize the external drive.  It appears it did not as the play list continued to display programming on the Genie 2 internal hard drive.  

Any advice?

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support