HR54-700 Genie connected to Samsung 4K TV via RVU

Highlighted
Employee

HR54-700 Genie connected to Samsung 4K TV via RVU

I installed DTV last year. Here's the original configuration

- DTV Ultimate package which includes 4K channels

- Genie HR54, Connected to non-4K TV and Wired Ethernet to my home router

- Wireless Genie C41W-100, Connected to a 4K Samsung TV (UN55JU6500) with RVU

A few months later, I experimented with the RVU in the Samsung TV, and was able to ditch the C41 altogether, by connecting the Samsung TV via wired Ethernet and my home router to the HR54. For a few months, this set up worked very well, and I was able to watch the 4K coverage of the Masters last year (2016).

Fast forward to January this year, I am still using the RVU to watch regular and HD channels without any problem. When I tried to watch the 4K channel, I was able to navigate to the channel but I got an error 721, as if I have not subscribed to the 4K channel. I called DTV customer service and they verified that I do have 4K channel in my subscription. When I told the rep about my configuration, he said I must have a tech rep comes to my house and install the Genie mini for 4K to work.

I am willing to pay the $99 one time fee to have the Genie mini installed, but want to check and understand why my configuration using RVU no longer works. Is it because DTV still thinks that I am using the wireless C41 and therefore block the channel? Is there a "parameter" in the DTV back office somewhere they can configure to activate my 4K channel again?

Can someone shed some lights here?

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 13
ACE - Master

Re: HR54-700 Genie connected to Samsung 4K TV via RVU

rvu should work

although the method you are using is not officially supported, therefore they want to put in a c61k

might be able to get it to work with a deca, the official method

but i would  get the c61k

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Associated Member

As @mdram4x4 stated the wired ethernet connection from the RVU tv to the router may work but it's not supported. Typically the tech would install a DECA and run a coax line to the deca and connect an ethernet cord from the deca to the tv. That is a more reliable connection but even so, c61k would be the best way to go. 

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 13
Employee

Thanks for responding. Are you saying that my configuration may work if I get a DECA (Ethernet to Coax converter ??) in between the Genie and my router?

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 13
ACE - Master

the deca would have a coax going to the swm splitter, and then an ethernet cable to your tv

it would not interface with your router.  it would be on the directv coax network

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13
Associated Member

The DECA would not be between the Genie and router. Basically, the tech would run a separate coax line to the DECA, and then from the deca he will connect an ethernet cord to the tv. The tech would not connect anything to the genie. 

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 13
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author Employee
Accepted by teddychu822
‎03-21-2017 2:49 PM

4K requirements updated a little bit. With Directv Revolution this week we hope that there will be info on a 4K Genie/HDDVR instead of having to sacrifice tuners and recording space as only Client connection works now. (HDMI and HDCP requirements updated when HR54 was too far along to make the hardware change)

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier)

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

An RVU Directv ready tv can be used (with deca installed by coax, ethernet to tv, not to router), but C61K is recommended over the built in RVU. This is because with RVU you are dependent on the tv manufacturer for software updates and they will not replace your tv if it can no longer be compatible. Also the dedicated C61K tends to work faster than many of the built in RVU.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

You need a DECA BB with either the USB or A/C power supply.

Message 8 of 13
Mentor

My HR54 IS connected to my router for 100MBPS download speed, and to give Smart TV apps access to the internet.
Message 9 of 13
Contributor

Will the Genie2 work with RVU compatible TV?

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

Yes the HS17 works only with minis and RVU TVs but DTV requires that they install it.

Message 11 of 13
Mentor

Yes, with a DECA between Coax & TV, powered by USB from TV or DTV AC-DC Adapter. What’s one more brick?
Message 12 of 13
Mentor

Yes, they want to install it, but you can buy your own USB-powered DECA with short coax on eBay or Amazon. Then call DTV to have it “activated”.
Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support