Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HR44-200 to HR54

Teacher

HR44-200 to HR54

I have had my old DVR for years and was wondering about upgrading to a new version.

I have a Samsung JS9000 tv which is 4K ready.

I would like a detailed explanation of how my billing and equipment  would change if I upgraded to 4K service.

I have only this tv connected to DirectV.

I am already billed:

1)"Entertainment" service

2)advanced receiver service-HD  $10

3)advanced receiver service-DVR $10

4)directv whole-home dvr              $3.00

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: HR44-200 to HR54

Adds $8.00/mo for the C61K mini or RVU.  RVU requires you to wait for the TV maker to update their software when there are changes in the HDCP software and they are proving to be slow to to this, if at all.

You have a small problem as you will be paying for 2 TVs even though you only have one as the HR54 can't output 4K over HDMI only the C61K can do that.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by wd5111
‎09-26-2018 2:18 PM

you would have 2 directv boxes hooked to the one tv, or put the hr54 on another tv and the c61k on the 4k tv

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 9
Teacher

Thanks, that's the detail I wanted. 

Message 4 of 9
Teacher

Thanks for the info.
Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert

You are welcome.

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

There is no charge for 4K itself. However if you only have 1 TV, then both the HR54 and Client would be on the same TV, billing as if you had a 2nd TV for $7 a month.

HR44 to HR54 is like for like, so not a direct upgrade. If you upgrade to a 4K setup, they would swap the 44 to the 54 to be compatible with the 4K Client. Recordings do not copy over.

As there are only 2 channels in 4K, plus 1 PPV channel, I would not do a 4K upgrade if you only have 1 TV as that would be raising the bill for very little benefit. If you have more than 1 TV already, then post the models of any other boxes you have in case there may be any differences to compare.

Message 7 of 9
Teacher

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I didn't really think it was "free"
after all.
Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

In most cases it is free.

The problem is that the 4K requirement changed to needing HDMI 2.0. So the HR54 was too far into production to make the hardware change, as they would have to scrap the entire line of motherboards. Instead they quickly came out with an updated Client. So because of this a single TV household pays as if they have 2 TVs. But households with 2 TVs or more that have the Genie, or other Whole Home setup, have no additional costs.

But as there are only 2 channels, even with multiple TVs, I prefer HDDVR over Client for more capability than a couple channels. Just the early days for 4K as it goes through growing pains.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support