Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HR20 HIGH PITCH NOISE

HR20 HIGH PITCH NOISE

What is up with this high pitch noise coming from my HR20. It is very annoying and did not notice it prior to the HD channel roll out last week. I just upgraded to the HR20 a couple weeks ago. Is anyone else hearing this or do I have a bad unit. The unit is always spinning, making noise even when off (I guess that due to the DVR portion needing to monitor for future recordings and what have you), but this high pitch noise, which can go away sometime when switching channels is driving me nuts. Listening to TV at moderate volumes does not cover up this sound. Anyone???
Message 1 of 14
Mentor

Re: HR20 HIGH PITCH NOISE

The last 3 HR20's I had made that noise just hours prior to dying. I call it the "death rattle."

Do you have an HR20-700 model? Look under the box. If so, I am sorry my friend.
Message 2 of 14
Contributor

Just had the HR20 installed last week. I recevied the high pitch noise which begins anywhere from 15 - 60 seconds after tuning to an HD Channel. I seem to have found the noise only on HD channels with sports - ie ESPN, NFL Network, etc.

Unfortunately these are the channels I want to watch in HD more than any other. Any suggestions for fixing this problem would be much appreciated!!!
Message 3 of 14

I called customer service, who forwarded me on to tech support. Tech support didn't give me an explanation to the problem whatsoever. They're sending me out a replacement today. I lose all me recordings, but hopefully the new unit won't have this problem
Message 4 of 14
Mentor

must be another one of those "rare" HR20's that are defective.

amazing. they seem to be coming out of the woodwork.
Message 5 of 14
Teacher

Yes the HR20s have plenty of problems/defects... If you have done everything possible to resolve the problem and it continues don't hesitate to call customer service and get LEVEL 2 support. Get a new box if you're not satisfied... be careful of the field (CONTRACTED INSTALLERS) service charges DIRECTV may impose on your bill (USUALLY $70) DO NOT PAY IT, because this is a DIRECTV and/or CONTRACTOR problem, not yours!

many of the box's noise/vibrations can be resolved by repositioning or putting some padding under the 4 feet of the box. Vibration noise seems to be the number one attention grabber.
Message 6 of 14

I can tell you one thing that this is definately not a vibration noise. It's a high ringing type noise that is very distracting. Fan noise is one thing (which this pup is rather loud), but that high pitch is just unbearable to listen to. Sure hope the replacement doesn't have the same problems!
Message 7 of 14
Professor

It sounds like a bad fan or hard drive bearing.
Message 8 of 14
Teacher

My HR20-700 is going back to CC after one week. My wife noticed that the hard drive or fan was running 24/7,even when the receiver was off. She could hear it 10 feet away while trying to fall asleep. Tech Support told me that the hard drive only runs when the receiver is on. Well, the DVR does not fuction any more and the receiver can only be reset by unplugging it. If another one fails, no more HDDVR!
Message 9 of 14
Teacher

My HR20-700 is going back to CC after one week. My wife noticed that the hard drive or fan was running 24/7,even when the receiver was off. She could hear it 10 feet away while trying to fall asleep. Tech Support told me that the hard drive only runs when the receiver is on. Well, the DVR does not fuction any more and the receiver can only be reset by unplugging it. If another one fails, no more HDDVR!
Message 10 of 14
Contributor

The problems with our DirecTV hi-def receiver also began with the launch of the additional hi-def channels so we were forced to get a replacement unit.

We are now on our third receiver unit. The initial replacement unit (which was refurbished) was giving off an extremely loud humming noise and we had to turn the TV volume up to drown it out. Not acceptable. I still don't understand why DirecTV even sent that out to a household as a replacement. The replacement for the replacement, also refurbished, is giving us that annoying, high pitched noise. It is similar to the high tones you would hear during a hearing test. The duration of each beep varies but after a few seconds there is another high pitched noise. It is an awful noise and it is beginning to actually hurt my ears. I'm extremely frustrated with DirecTV at the moment.

For us, the noise happens on all channels. We also get the added treat of going to a black screen and "searching for satellite signal" everytime we try to change to a different channel.

I deeply regret deciding to "upgrade" to a DVR unit. Our experience from day one, beginning with the installation of the upgraded satellite dish, has been a huge headache. But that's another story.
Message 11 of 14

The saga continues. My replacement HR20 locked up on me after about 3 hrs. Only way to turn off the unit is to either unplug or reset. After this process, the same thing happens, usually in about 60-90 minutes. Replacement unit AGAIN is on the way. I requested the new HR21...we'll see if they give me that one.
Message 12 of 14
Teacher

Took the HR20-700 back to CC and found out that they were out of receivers., so I got a refund. The salesman said another customer had the same issues I have been having. Slow channel change, no DVR, and the receiver can only be reset by unplugging it. The reset button and the Help menu reset only locks the thing up. I don't feel this technology was ready for the consumers a year ago, or even now. I reauthorized my Sony HD200 that I had absolutely no problems with in over 4 years and never had to reset it. I just can't receive the new HD channels and have to resort to the Panasonic hard drive recorder to save missed shows. I don't know if I will try another DVR at this point, and may wait for the H21 versions and hope for better results.
Message 13 of 14
Mentor

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sadly, you are not the first, nor will you be the last to experience this fate. If it makes you feel better, all the expert techknowguides' DVR's seem to work fine. Just schleps like us that are having problems.
Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support