Helpful Links

HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote

Contributor

HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote

I have noted this problem has existed with many people over recent years, but there also does not seem to be a consensus solution.  I have three units...the other two work as usual.  The unit that responds slowly most of the time is the unit with the DVR.  This is a recent development--the last month or so.  There can be a 30 second or so delay from using the remote for the action requested moving.  Sometimes changing channels is even a problem.  I called for help earlier today.  I quick test first failed, but I was told it might take awhile for the adjustment to work.  I tried again and the operation performed properly.  Then, later after I had hung up, of course, the same problem was still evident.  Is this an equipment problem or something else in the system that is being worked on?

Message 1 of 29
Employee

Re: HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 29
Contributor

The Model is:   HR21-700.   I will try the suggestion you made below and will report back with either success or failure tomorrow.

Greg Lucas

http://www.gregclucas.com    web

@GregCLucas    twitter

glucas5303@sbcglobal.net     email

HOUSTON, TX

Message 3 of 29
Contributor

On the HR21-700   Model: WDCD3200 AVVS 6322BO I have performed the suggested maneuvers.  Here is what I got:

Smart Short:  3013 FAIL

Filesystem Verification:  Passed

LBA Fix:   3004 FAIL

Smart Long:    3013 FAIL

Did not try Surface Test since you indicated Passing grades on previous tests were necessary.

While in the area did other tests, too:

Threshold:   3010 FAIL

What does all this mean?  It would appear I have a problem that the unit can't fix itself?

Message 4 of 29
Teacher

It is likely the hard drive needs to be replaced. They all fail at some time or another. Contact DirecTV technical support.

Message 5 of 29
Employee

your hard drive is toast! 

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 29
Teacher

I found the solution and posted it somewhere on this site.

At least for me, the problem is I had recordings set up using the AAND, NNOT, etc. undocumented search keywords. Once I removed those, the problem went away.

I also encountered another post where someone determined which of the keywords no longer worked, but I didn't bookmark that page.

Message 7 of 29
Expert

It's good to try to assist, but in this case the built in self test failures are definitive, the poster's hard drive is failing and replacement of the DVR is the proper corrective action.

Note that having complex search parameters set up will in fact slow the system down, so your suggestion is valid, just not in this particular case.

Message 8 of 29
Contributor

Having the same problem. Called and was told by the rather rude customer service representative that they are working on it. Not sure when it will be resolved. I'm going to wait a few more days (in week two of this problem). I might request a new receiver because I'm on the protection plan. Frustrating!

Message 9 of 29
Contributor

Having the same problem. Called and was told by the rather rude customer service representative that they are working on it. Not sure when it will be resolved. I'm going to wait a few more days (in week two of this problem). I might request a new receiver because I'm on the protection plan. Frustrating!

Message 10 of 29
Employee

this thread is over a year old.  Perhaps you may want start a new thread

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 29
Tutor

I have been experiencing slow response/hang ups in my whole home Genie for about two weeks. Is the problem in my system or with DTV in general? I have done a reset and installed new batteries in the remote.

Message 12 of 29
ACE - Expert

Is this an HR34?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 29
Tutor

Yes, it is a Genie HD-DVR HR34-700 with three minis. Another thing I started to notice yesterday is that the future program information on the grid no longer extends to eleven days forward. It has only nine days at present. I do not know if this is related or not.

Message 14 of 29
Contributor

I have had this problem for several weeks. When i use the forward or backward button, the receiver sometimes stops responding for a minute or so, or you say it is slow to respond. soooo aggravating. so i spend most my time going back to where i was after it responds. I have the HR 34/700 also. i contacted tech support and there is nothing they can do. She said the engineers are working on a fix.... & does not know how long this will take.  well i'm due an upgrade in Nov & I really don't know if I'm going to wait on it. May need to just move on to Dish. I asked to be upgraded now because they can't fix their problem. no luck

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support