Helpful Links

GenieGo Will Not Work on Latest MacBook Air?

Teacher

GenieGo Will Not Work on Latest MacBook Air?

I just purchased the GenieGo box and installed on my iMac desktop, iPhone5, and the original iPad.  All work fine.

I went to install on my brand new MacBook Air with the upgraded 1.7GHz Intel Dual Core i7, the fastest processor available.

It does not work.

DirecTV tech support says it must be a 1.8GHz processor.  App doesn't care (or check) if it is dual core with turbo boost up to 3.3GHz apparently.

Can this be correct?  If so, the GenieGo app will not work with any of the current MacBook Air computers that were released in June, 2013.

Message 1 of 31
ACE - Expert

Re: GenieGo Will Not Work on Latest MacBook Air?

What exactly is not working?  Error messages?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 31
Employee

"it doesn't work" does not help us help you.  tell us what is going on

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 31
Teacher

Message is:

"We could not activate your DIRECTV Genie GO.  There was an error activating your GenieGo.  Please try Again or call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the error code."

There is no error code indicated, but after being on for an hour with DIRECTV tech support we determined that in the bottom right corner of the screen there is a code:  GenieGo/102.  They had no answer other than what I said above, that since my processor is a 1.7GHz and not 1.8GHz they "think" that is the issue and the app won't install.

Message 4 of 31
Teacher

Confirmed by DIRECTV:  GenieGo App cannot distinguish the performance of the new Intel chips used by the MacBook Air.  IT WILL NOT WORK UNTIL THERE IS AN UPDATE.  No commitment for an update or a timeline.  Case closed according to DIRECTV.  Very disappointing.

Message 5 of 31
Teacher

That's strange, the app works fine for me on an old mac mini with a lower processor speed.  I would try clearing the installation by holding control+command+option at the same time and the click open on the geniego app. You should get a pop up asking if you want to reset settings

Message 6 of 31
Teacher

Yes, that is strange. DIRECTV says the app will not install if the

processor speed is less than 1.8GHz, irrespective of the true processing

performance. What is the GHZ speed of your Mac Mini?

Message 7 of 31
Teacher

Tried your suggestion of clearing the installation and got the same error.  Will not activate.  Frustrating!

Message 8 of 31
Teacher

did you get an error code this time?

Message 9 of 31
Teacher

Yes, same error code GenieGO/102.

Message 10 of 31
Teacher

shot in the dark, perhaps power cycle geniego?

Message 11 of 31
Teacher

Yes, already done that, no difference.

Message 12 of 31
Teacher

yasatr:  What is the processor type and speed in GHz on your Mac Mini?  I'm interested so I can try to explain to DIRECTV.

Message 13 of 31
Teacher

I Will have to double check when I am back home (travelling)sure think it is 1.5 or less.

did you try power cycling your stb and geniego? I noticed it helps when programs don't prepare.

Message 14 of 31
Contributor

It's now October and I just got my GenieGO yesterday.  Super excited to try it out... and the wife and I both have MacBook Airs.  Smiley Sad  I stumbled upon this thread Googling the GenieGO "We could not activate..." message and am disheartened to see that it's been an ongoing unresolved issue for three months now.  I get the exact same error code as well (thanks for pointing out where to look!).

Works on our (very) old Dell laptop and on my wife's iPhone, though.  My Samsung Galaxy S3 is also not working though I really don't care abut that.  We leave for a trip in about an hour and we really were looking forward to being able to watch our shows from our room at the resort.  Gonna have to haul the Dell along this time, I guess. :smileyangry:

Message 15 of 31
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support