Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie servers

Highlighted
Explorer

Genie servers

What is the difference between HS17-100 and HS17-500? I see many folks have the 500.  I upgraded about 4 months ago and have an HS17-100 and I have had only a few very minor and correctible problems. Maybe I am just very lucky

Message 1 of 5
Employee
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎02-27-2019 2:11 PM

Re: Genie servers

Same HS17, different manufacturer. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by patjones
‎02-20-2019 11:16 AM

I believe the -100 is manufactured by Thomson and the -500 is made by Humax. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎02-20-2019 1:47 PM

Here's the decoder ring ....

-100 - Thomson/Technicolor (formerly RCA)
-200 - Samsung
-250 - TiVo (no longer active)
-300 - Pace (formerly Philips)
-400 - Hughes (no longer active)
-500 - Humax
-600 - LG
-700 - Pace
-800 - NEC
-900 - Non existent

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

@patjones wrote:

What is the difference between HS17-100 and HS17-500? I see many folks have the 500.  I upgraded about 4 months ago and have an HS17-100 and I have had only a few very minor and correctible problems. Maybe I am just very lucky

The -xxx after the model number is just the manufacture code, so just specifically who made it. They are all supposed to be to the same specs.

However, the Genie-2 (HS17) is a restrictive buggy design to begin with. It forbids full receivers from being on the account, forcing customers to a Client only system. Clients cannot work by themselves so if main box goes down, their go all your TVs. Since Clients can only use 1 tuner each, there is no Picture in Picture (PiP) feature. And since Clients are using a tuner each from the main Genie, with no tuners of their own, you are hard capped at 7 tuners which may matter depending how much recording your household does and/or how many TVs total. Also you cannot hide one box's recordings from the others or have different parental controls on each box (such as parent's bedroom, vs living room, vs kid's bedroom).

A regular Genie (except 1st generation HR34) and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners, more than the Genie-2 could ever reach, and each box can work independently while still sharing their recordings as you want. Personally this is a much better setup than the Genie-2 (HS17).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support