Helpful Links

Genie randomly freezes during playback of recorded shows

Tutor

Genie randomly freezes during playback of recorded shows

I have a single Genie (HR34/700) with the latest software updates (6/14). I have a single TV, so I do not have any of the mini units. The unit is connected to the internet, however I do not stream. I've done the reset which I've seen mentioned as well.

During the playback of recorded shows, the playback will will randomly freeze. Once the video abruptly stops, pressing Play on the remote does not start the video again. Instead, I have to press the fast forward once, sometimes twice, or press skip to get past that point in the video. Once I do that, then the video is fine -- until it happens again later in the recording.

If I skip a bad spot, press rewind to go back before it and then click play -- it will freeze again on the same spot.

During a playback of an hour long show, it happened 13 times -- which was kind of the straw that broke the camels back. We've had the Genie for about a month now and have had these same playback issues since day 3 (once we had some shows recorded).

Message 1 of 48
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie randomly freezes during playback of recorded shows

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 48
Tutor

I ran all of the advanced internal harddisk tests (including the surface test and long SMART test) last night and everything passed -- no errors were found on the harddisk.

The bad news is the issue still exists -- playback freezing, having to skip past the bad spot to continue watching, going back and playing it will stop at the same point again.

Any other suggestions?

Message 3 of 48
ACE - Expert

Is this happening on all channels?  Which one(s)?  

We've seen this problem posted from several cities with NBC station issues. 

It could also be a reception issue ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   x   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 48
Tutor

History HD, HGTVHD and Food Network HD -- although those tend to be the primary channels that I record -- so it could be happening on others as well.

I ran the satellite transponder test (32 total @ 101 degrees) and everything looked reasonable. I also tested the different tuners and they had similar numbers (#26 was always 0). When testing the signal strength, all were 95%.

1-8 95 96 93 98 95 98 94 99

9-16 95 96 95 98 96 98 95 98

17-24 95 79 95 98 96 99 96 99

25-32 96 0 95 86 97 99 96 100

Message 5 of 48
ACE - Expert

Also need to see the readings from the 99 and 103º satellites (they beam your HD channels).

Message 6 of 48
Tutor

Here's the complete list of satellites. Again, appreciate your help thus far.

103:

1-8 95 96 93 98 95 98 94 99

9-16 95 96 95 98 96 98 95 98

17-24 95 79 95 98 96 99 96 99

25-32 96 0 95 86 97 99 96 100

99 (c):

1-8 89 90 89 86 85 86 88 86

9-16 85 86 88 83 89 87 -- --

17-24 --

25-32 --

99 (s):

1-8 74 0 74 0 73 0 -- --

9-16 -- -- -- -- -- -- 97 0

17-24 100 100 0 0 61 64 97 95

25-32 --

103 (s):

1-8 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- --

9-16 -- -- -- -- -- -- 100 51

17-24 100 100 51 56 0 0 100 99

25-32 --

103 (ca):

1-8 --

9-16 88 86 93 88 84 82 89 88

17-24 82 81 90 87 82 80 90 88

25-32 --

103 (cb):

1-8 92 91 91 85 85 88 89 85

9-16 85 87 88 85 86 86 -- --

17-24 --

25-32 --

SWM:

1-8 100 100 100 99 100 100 95 95

9-16 95 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

17-24 --

25-32 --

Message 7 of 48
ACE - Expert

Those signal readings look fine. 

Running out of ideas.  How is your Genie connected to your home network?  Does the problem go away if you disconnect the Genie from your home network?

Message 8 of 48
Tutor

It's connected through an ethernet cable -- although I don't watch the shows on any other device. I've also tried disconnecting it from the home network all together and the issue still happens.

Going to call them to tell them to send me a new unit -- wife wants to dump it all together saying the old DirecTV DVR was "just fine".

Thanks again for your help.

Message 9 of 48
ACE - Expert

Yep, replacement is about all I can recommend, too.  Keep us posted.  

Message 10 of 48
Tutor

Apparently the channel it was happening on was limited to the History HD channel, as we never saw a pause on the other channels.

Had the unit replaced yesterday -- so far so good. With the Genie receiver, there is also now a power unit to power the dish (or something like that). This installer added some additional box between the power brick and the cable -- no idea what it was, but he said the original installer didn't put this box which they always use.

Message 11 of 48
Tutor

I am having identical symptoms to the freezing during recording/having to FF a few frames to get going again, on multiple channels.  I have had two Directv service calls in the last week and am on my third Genie HR34/700 to fix the problem.  There are so many posts about this, it has to be a widespread hardware/software design flaw.

Can we please be honestly informed whether Directv has determined a hardware/software issue and if they are working to fix it for everyone without dealing with one user at a time, putting them through dozens of tests and procedures that don't remedy the issue.  FYI, I have tried every remedy mentioned in the various posts, and the tech has confirmed adequate signal strength.

Message 12 of 48
Tutor

Just curious -- what channel does it happen for you on? For me, it only appears to be the History HD channel.

Message 13 of 48
Tutor

CNN

Food Network.

Sent from my iPhone

Message 14 of 48
Contributor

I have the same problem on multiple channels HBO, Starz, Showtime, FX, History,MTV and the list goes on and on so I dont think its a channel issue!! I can watch the program live as it records and there is no problems but later I go to watch the recording of the same show and it will freeze and the only fix is to fast forward a bit.. But what is even more strange than that is I can watch the same recording again later and have no freezing issues!! Its so random I dont get it and I have read many post and ran the test I have all good signals and no hard drive issues. I have seen a lot of people who say they are on their 3rd and 4th Genies because of this issue. So for now I will not be trading out my box because as it does not fix the problem it will only give more because I will loose all my recordings and have to resetup all my recording schedule's..

Message 15 of 48
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support