Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

Contributor

Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 73
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

Need more info ....

What model Genie DVR?

What model Genie Client boxes? How many?

What are your exact symptoms?  Error messages?

How is your Genie connected to your home network for internet access?

When was your Genie installed?   Has it ever worked properly?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 73
Contributor

Re: Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

HR44 and HR22, only one.  Genie installed successfully on 8/23. The installer connected to my wireless router just fine. It worked for a week and when I tried to view on demand show, it couldn't find Internet connection. I rest the Genie and repeated network setup and it connected. Two days later and it did the same thing.  I rest again and repeated network setup and it connected.  Don't understand why it keeps dropping.  iPads, laptop, and cell phones all work fine, no Internet dropping issues.

Message 3 of 73
Employee

Re: Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup.  Why is this happening?

Could be a router lease issue or weak WiFi  signal.  best to hard wire the Genie if at all possible

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 73
Expert

I keep a 100ft Ethernet cable in my tool box, really handy for troubleshooting.  If you were to disable the HR44's wireless and connect the Ethernet to the DVR and the router, you'd soon know if the dropping of the Internet was due to a wireless problem.  Personally if it were up to me Directv would use all hard wire installations and drop the wireless.

Message 5 of 73
Tutor

I'm having the exact same issue.  It worked fine for about a week, and now even after repeating the network set up it won't connect.  Every other device in the house works fine.   WIFI signal is very strong, so this makes no sense.

Message 6 of 73

Same here.  I just noticed this within the last few days that my HR34 forgot my Wi-Fi network out of nowhere.  I am not trying to reconnect it, but it keeps saying my Wi-Fi password is invalid.  I've tested the password on other devices and they're all fine and work correctly.  My Wi-Fi has been working well for about 3 months so not sure why it would have started now.

Message 7 of 73
Tutor

Any resolution? I have the identical problem. Please follow up if you figure it out, I'm 10 days into my subscription and getting frustrated. Thank you!

Message 8 of 73
Tutor

Any resolution? I have the identical problem. I have iPads, iPhones, laptops, etc. all connected just fine, as well as upgraded wireless and a brand new Motorola SBG6580 that makes all of my devices work wonderfully. Except the @#$% Genie.

Please follow up if you figure it out, I'm 10 days into my subscription and getting frustrated. Thank you!

Message 9 of 73
Expert

Passwords on Directv devices must be alphanumeric, no punctuation or other symbols, letters and numbers only.

Message 10 of 73
Tutor

I finally got it to work-  I reset the Genie, the modem, and did a firmware update on my router (airport express) and then reset the network settings and repeat system setup and it worked!  I was getting frustrated myself, I've had my system less than 2 weeks.  I called Directv and they sent me a network box which I'll keep as a back up in case this happens again and I can't reset it.  Hope you get yours figured out!

Message 11 of 73
Contributor

Having same issue with my Genie. Keeps loosing wireless Internet connection while everything else maintains connection and able to stream. Last fix was unplugging the router to reset it, so it could recognize the Genie. That lasted for two days. Before that, unplugged Genie box  to reset and that worked till I shut it off. I've only had Direct TV for a couple of weeks now, and this has been a nonstop issue.

Message 12 of 73
Contributor

NO resolution, still have the same issue as all of you.

Message 13 of 73
Administrator

There are too many complaints on this forum and elsewhere, for this not to be a problem with the genie itself. I am having the same problem. We all need to start complaining on facebook, twitter, and every other social media site about this problem. For Directv will not do anything about it until that happens. I have had my genie for about a month now and have constantly had to screw around with the internet connection the whole time.

Message 14 of 73

I noticed that there was a recent software upgrade by the settings of my

Genie. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Message 15 of 73
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support