Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie Receiver will not stay connected to WiFi network

Contributor

Genie Receiver will not stay connected to WiFi network

The Genie receiver/DVR will not stay connected to my WiFi network. Going through the network set-up program doesn't resolve the issue, i have to restart the receiver and then the receiver will indicate it is connected to the internet. Anywhere from 1 hour to 1 day later it is once again disconnected. We have checked the WiFi signal at the receiver location and it is strong. What is causing this?

Message 1 of 59
Former Employee

Re: Genie Receiver will not stay connected to WiFi network

What model of Genie receiver do you have?

Is it at all possible to directly connect the Genie receiver to the router?

Message 2 of 59
Mentor

I am having the same problem.

At least once a day, some times several times a day, I have to go through re-connect to the wireless router.   I have no similar problems of disconnection with any of my other wifi connecte items like computers, Roku, tablets, etc. 

This started at my house a couple weeks ago when it was just once a day, but now it does it several times, especially if I want to see other showings of a program.  Sometimes it reconnects on its own but usually I have to re-input the lengthy and obscure passcode.

My genie is a good 30+ feet from the rounter, so not really possible to plug it directly into the router, nor is it remotely a workable solution.

This genie is only about 5 months old, but if it continues I will have to go.

Message 3 of 59
Former Employee

There may be intermittent interference involved.  If your router is capable of it, you might want to change your wireless network to the 5Ghz band instead of using the 2.4 band. If that doesn't improve your signal problems, you might want to look at a powerline network adapter to connect your router to your receiver.

Message 4 of 59
Mentor

Nope, running a 30-40 foot cord through my house is not acceptable.  Neither is changing the frequency of the router when it is working perfectly well with my home office equipment and other technology. 

Considering that the signal is just fine and not intermittent for any equipment other than the Genie, it is quite a leap to blame the signal.  Even the Roku stick, plugged into the side of the TV the genie is connected to has no intermittent signal.

How about we get the Genie HR44-500, which until recently was working, to again work properly first?

Message 5 of 59
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎04-05-2016 12:53 PM

I had/have the same problem. I was not able to get the Wi-Fi to stay connected but I did find a work around that worked for me.

I too do not have cat5 cable run from where my Wi-Fi router is to where the DVR is. I tested a hard wired connection with a long cable for a few days and using the ethernet port on the DVR did not have any issues staying connected.

Once I knew the ethernet connection would remain stable I did the following:

Purchased an inexpensive ($42) Power Line adapter kit (2 units). Basically a power line adapter uses the electrical wiring in your home as if it were cat5 cable. You connect 1 unit to a power outlet near your router and attach a patch cable from the unit to the router. The other unit gets plugged into an outlet near your DVR. Again attach a patch cable from the unit to the ethernet port in your DVR. After the connection is made and both units show they are communicating disconnect your DVR from the wireless and rest the network. The DVR should sense the connection through the ethernet port and configure itself for that connection.

A couple of notes:

The powerlink adapters have lost contact with each other a couple of times over the past few weeks. Perhaps a power glitch. All I had to do was unplug one and plug it back in and the connection came back immediately.

Also, the connection speed may not be as adverstied. This depends on the state of the electrical wiring in your home. However, the connection speed only has to be as fast as your internet connection. If you internet connection is say 25mb then anything above 25mb on the power adapters will not affect your downloads.

There are 2 types of Power Line adapters. One type extends your Wi-Fi signal, the other emulates a hard-wired connection. You want the latter, unless your problem is weak Wi-Fi signal. My problem was not a weak signal.

Good luck.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 59
Contributor

Your not alone on this issue! I have the exact same problem.  All other devices such as iphones, ipads, laptops, etc., have no problems staying connected.  Yet, for some reason, the last 2 months maybe atleast, I almost daily get the message telling me im not connected anymore and need to go through the connection process. This only results in having to choose a new network(same one as always) and re-enter the wifi password, which is pretty long... So now a permanent post-it note is taped to my side table (tacky!) bc I have to use so frequently. Let me know if you find a solution. I'm not running cables or anything either!  Good luck!

Brianna

Message 7 of 59
Mentor

Initially, the first month or so I did not have the connection issue. Then all of a sudden it started happening. I don't know if it was related to a direct TV software update, but nothing else on my home network changed.

The work around with the power line adapters is still working well for me.

Message 8 of 59
Tutor

What is the reason for all of this in the first place? Are we dealing with an inferior product? Being the Internet service or satellite tv? I am having the same issues and I just bought the service! So we have to now go buy product to make the product we paid for (2 years) to work as advertised?!? Tough sleddin

Message 9 of 59

I have the same problem. I am so frustrated with Directv. I had a great experience with Dish and I wish I could go back to them. I have contacted support over and over about this issue. I was just told by support that I cannot use a wired connection with my 54 Genie, was he wrong? I may need to hunt down an ethernet cable and see for myself. He also said to use the advanced setting to enter the IP and all info in myself, but this does not seem to work. I cannot get it to connect this way.

Message 10 of 59
ACE - Expert

@kacielorraine, you should be able to connect your HR54 Genie directly to your home network using an ethernet cable.  Are you currently connecting via WiFi?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 59

Yes, the chat support rep said with my genie wifi is my only option.
Message 12 of 59
ACE - Expert

@kacielorraine wrote:
Yes, the chat support rep said with my genie wifi is my only option.

Well, that's the "officially support" method.  But ethernet works fine.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 59
ACE - Expert

DTV also has the hard wired DECA BB so WiFi is not the only option.

Message 14 of 59
Contributor

I, too, am experiencing the same problem. with the HR44-500. The genie recognizes my network, but when I go to connect, it says there's an error. I usually do not even get to the point to be able to put my wireless password back in (which is also on a permanent sticky note now, crazy). I love directv, have been a customer for 30 years, but this is really beginning to peeve me. 

Message 15 of 59
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support