Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie One "AND" Genie 2 in one system!

Highlighted
Tutor

Genie One "AND" Genie 2 in one system!

I currently have an older HR24-500 receiver in my bedroom in addition to an HR44-200 Genie in my living room all using whole home DVR. Recently I was informed that I am eligible for a free equipment upgrade. I would like to replace the older HR24-500 in my bedroom with the Genie 1 which is currently in my living room for two reasons. Reason one.... is that the Genie 1 is chock full of movies and shows I do not want to lose.Reason two is that the TV in the living room is a brand new 4k TV which the Genie 2 can be used with because of the 4k capability. I understand that a mini would be required in the living room because the Genie 2 has no remote control ability. All receivers would be connected to my whole home DVR system giving me roughly 3 terabytes of storage (2 terabytes for the Genie 2 and 1 terabyte for the Genie1). No matter how many times I explained my wishes to the salespeople and the supervisor in the Philippines it was very frustrating. Is it possible to do what I want and how do I get someone at the main Directv from the Philippines to understand what I'm trying to do?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ralperin
‎09-12-2017 6:05 PM

Re: Genie One "AND" Genie 2 in one system!

DTV only allows one Genie per account, the HS17 will not work with any other DVRs or receivers only minis and it doesn't connect to any TV so you still need a C61K mini to output 4K over HDMI.

You can use the free upgrade by ordering a 4K update that will replace the HR44 with an HR54 and C61K mini but then you lose the recordings.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Tutor

So I guess I'll just be happy with my current setup! Forget the 4k! Thanks
for the info!
Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

The HR44 will record and play 4K PPV to a C61K mini it will just not get the 3 4K channels.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

With the limited 4K content I would say to keep your current setup with your 2nd generation Genie (HR44). If you down the road get a 3rd tv, then you could consider the 3rd generation genie (HR54) to replace your HR44 and get a C61K to go on the 4K tv itself, keeping the HR24. Just be caught up on your recordings from the HR44 as they do not copy over. This way you keep the recordings on the HR24 itself, have a box that does not require the Genie to work, and if you got a 4th tv later you could get an HDDVR for more tuners, as opposed to the HS17 is max 7 and does not work with HDDVRs.

I am curious if the HDDVR/tuner limitation of the HS17 is per hardware, or they have it disabled until they have confirmed the launch of it goes smoothly enough. I have a Genie and 2 HDDVRs (9 tuners and 2TB recording space so about 400 hrs) which would be a downgrade if I went the HS17 route at this time (7 tuners, though same 2TB total).

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support