Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Genie Mini with no network connection

Tutor

Genie Mini with no network connection

Hi,

I have a DirecTV setup with the Genie & one Genie mini, about four months since installed.  Recently, my mini can no longer find the main unit.  I've reset both the boxes in various orders, moved the mini to another cable location that is connected up to the splitter, but no change in results.  The network light on the mini turns from a blinking yellow to a solid green during startup, but no network is ever found.  The main unit has the mini programmed in, and I've tried the reset from the DirecTV site as well. 

So...anyone know what the problem might be?  The PI has solid green, and appears to be working normally (unplug, no longer have signal with a 771 on the main Genie screen).

I'm not too keen on paying DTV to come out for a service call if it is their equipment that isn't working (that's why I'm paying a monthly fee, right? to lease it?)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
Expert

Be absolutely certain the new location is actually connected to the system.  Most all installers never connect empty coax.  Then do a red button (inside card door) resetr of the Genie.  While it's booting up, do a red button (on side) reset of the Mini.  You should first see a "no server" message that should connect as the Genie completes boot-up.

Message 2 of 22
Highlighted
Tutor

The new location is connected to the system.  The installer re-purposed a previously installed dual cable (connected both ends at the splitter) for the primary connection to the main unit.  The mini errors on that location are the same as the errors on its original location (solid green network, no servers found).  The red button reset procedure has been attempted several times at both locations with the mini/main.

If the mini is connected to a known-unused coax (I have another dual right next to the in-use dual in the main room), network light maintains a flashing yellow. 

Being that there is apparent network connectivity (can acquire a green light), I would think that at least some level of network communication is happening.  Not knowing the intricacies of the way these boxes are networked, I'm relying on the help of guys like yourself and ped to shed some light on what might be going on.

Message 3 of 22
Expert

Did you previously reset in the order I specified?  Both at the same time?  Humor me, try it the way I suggested.  If you have a live wire and the Genie is setup to accept the Genie, it should connect.

Message 4 of 22
Tutor

Earlier troubleshooting, yes, I did (fairly certain that I did that before calling DTV tech service, based off of one of your posts to someone else).  I'll try it again tonight when I get home just to be 100% certain.

Message 5 of 22
Expert

Before you do the reset, on the Genie, go to the Settings menu, Whole Home and run through Settings and Help/Settings/Whole Home/Manage Clients.  See if your Client (Mini) is listed.  If not try the add Client.  You might also remove it and reinstall it.  Not sure what might work but there are a number of things there you could try.

Message 6 of 22
Tutor

Mini is listed in the menu.  I haven't done the removal/add, as I didn't know if that would be a DTV function or not. 

Message 7 of 22
Tutor

I've attached a copy of the install; the second location referred to above is the second port of the TV1/Genie wall plate.

Install.jpg

Message 8 of 22
Expert

Your diagram looks fine.  The only question I would have is the two port wall jack.  Are you absolutely certain the PI 21 is connected to the coax that in turn connects to the Power Passing port of the 4 way splitter?  You could disconnect the unused coax from the 4 way temporarily to determine what is connected to what.  Note that the reason for checking is the PI must connect via the red power passing port of all splitters in order for the proper current to reach the dish.

Message 9 of 22
Tutor

I haven't touched the splitter, only the cables at the wall jack. However, if the PI 21 cable is connected to the other port, I get a 771 (or 775?, don't remember) error stating that there is no signal from the dish.  Same effects when the PI is connected to TV2's cable.  When returned to the original location, I have signal to the main unit once again.

When problem first occurred, I inspected the cable from TV2 back to the splitter, and everything looked the same as the day it was installed (it was new cabling for that run). The mini as it was working, stopped, started again, and then stopped all together, and none of the resets either time had an effect.  I'm thinking that it is in the electronics somewhere, either the splitter or the mini (maybe even the main DVR) given the indications.  However, don't know, so I'm turning to the more knowledgeable guys out here.

The really odd thing is that all was working fine for the first 90 days.  About two weeks after that is when the problems arose. 

Message 10 of 22
Expert
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎03-05-2014 1:58 PM

try pressing and holding the power button (DirecTV logo) for 15 seconds.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 22
Tutor

What does that do? Reset the flash or something?

Message 12 of 22

It restores mini to default settings

Message 13 of 22
Tutor

I ask, as I was trying to rearrange some things behind the console, my three year old was pushing things....I looked up at the TV and saw something about a flash upgrade, but didn't know what he did.  It sounds like he held in the button for that period of time to do that sort of a reset.

For the time being, all is working again, back in their original locations.  It worked once before for only a day or two after it was out, so I'm hoping what he did will do the trick!  If it goes out again, I guess I will be back here.

Thanks to all of you for the help!

Message 14 of 22
Expert

let's hope it holds.  Glad I was able to help

Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support