Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie HR54

Highlighted
Teacher

Genie HR54

I'm new to DIRECTV.

My undestanding is that the Genie HD DVR HR54 is REQUIRED to receive the DIRECTV 4K channels, providing I also have the Ultimate or Premire package & a 4K TV. HOWEVER, the HR54 box doesn't have the software/firmware to accomodate/recognize 4K when DIRECTLY connected to a 4K TV. It simply enables a C61 Genie Mini to recognize 4K.

I have two 4K TVs; one that's now connected to a C61 Genie Mini. It is getting 4K channels & signal, but the other 4K TV, which is connected to the HR54 does NOT recognize 4K! Is a software/firmware upgrade for the HR54 in the works to correct this & if so, when?   

Also...

4K "product knowledge" is lacking as I've spoken to four reps/techs & gotten four DIFFERENT explainations about whats needed for 4K service! 

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Telcoman
‎08-13-2016 5:20 PM

Re: Genie HR54

No. the HR54 doesn't have the hardware to output 4K over HDMI you need another C61K as no software will fix the HR54 and at this time the HR54 will only stream to one 4K TV at a time.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 13
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Telcoman
‎08-13-2016 5:38 PM

if your TV is DIRECTV Ready, you can use that instead of a C61K as well. Same monthly fee as a client. 

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 13
Teacher

According to the list on DIRECT TV's support page, my 4K TV that's directly connected to the HR54 is DIRECTV 4K Ready so, it should have the built-in RVU technology.

Not sure why the tech who was here TODAY to activate my 4K service didn't check or set this up! Will this require ANOTHER tech visit or can I do something to engage the RVU technology?

What do you mean by "same monthly fee as a client"?

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 13
ACE - Expert

The RVU needs a DECA BB to connect it to the SWM system and then needs to be added to you account as of now DTV requires that they connect RVUs.  You pay an additional TV fee of $7.00 per client/RVU.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13
Expert

Well, did you order include the set up of the RVU TV?  If no, then this why the tech did not set it up.  You need another tech visit as they would need to install a Broadband DECA adapter to connect the RVU TV to the SWM network.  

Adding the RVU TV to your account will increase your bill by $7.00 a month, same as any other receiver, IOW is not free

Message 6 of 13
Scholar

What channels are you trying to watch in 4-K ?

Message 7 of 13
Teacher

Wow! Seems like a lot of layers of hardware just to bring in 4K service!

Having previously read other forum posts about 4K TV requirements, I got that the HR54, a fairly new Genie DVR device, is REQUIRED for 4K service. But for it to NOT have the embedded hardware to output 4K seems kind of idiotic!

Fortunately, based on the other response I received to this post, this all might be a moot issue because I'm pretty sure my other 4K TV that 's connected to the HR54 is a "DIRECTV 4K Ready" model, which means I shoulde be able to obtain 4K output to it, utilizing the RVU technology.

So guess I need to make yet another call CS to see what it'll take to make this happen!

Thanks for your prompt feedback!  

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

The HR54s hardware was finalized before the 4K standards where and then the content providers add HDCP 2.2.

Message 9 of 13
Teacher

Thanks for all the great responses!

***Update***

I had yet another service tech visit to install/setup the RVU for my 2nd 4K TV, which is a DirecTV 4K Ready model. However, the tech could NOT get it up & running & eventually left WITHOUT it working! 

He also told me that after extensive conversation with whom ever he was conversing with in an attempt to get it to work that the ONLY 4K content I'd possibly be able to access via RVU connectivity would be "On Demand" programming. He said I wouldn't be able to access channels 104, 105 or 106! This doesn't make sense to me so, can anyone speak to this?

Again I'll say (as I did in a previous post), the 4K knowledge by theseDirecTV "duty experts" is severly lacking & quite frankly, all over the map! SMH

If true that RVU connectivity only accomodates "limited" 4K content, yet I'm still paying the SAME monthly hardware fee...

1. Wouldn't it make sense just to go with another C61 Genie mini?

2. Why does DirecTV even bother promoting the RVU connectivity as a viable alternative?   

Seems to me DirecTV has grossly overhyped 4K, which definitely doesn't appear to be ready for "primetime"!

Based on a few of your earlier responses, I gleaned that even if both of my 4K TVs were properly accessing 4K content, another problem I'd have would be the inability for 4K content to be watched on both TVs simultaneously because the HR54 can't stream 4K to both simultaneously!

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

You get the same programs with RVU or the C61K

Message 11 of 13
Teacher

Disregard point #1in my earlier Sep 8th post.

Just saw that peds48 addressed this in another post. 

Once again, "thanks" peds48.

Message 12 of 13
Contributor

From what I was led to believe, to get 4K live channels 104, 105 and 106 you need both the HR54 (which acts as a 4k server) and either RVU or C61K mini. 

I've had 4K OnDemand now for almost 2 years via an HR44 server which only allows OnDemand 4K.  One needs an HR54 orking in comjunction with either the RVU or C61K mini for live 4K.

My problem with the RVU hookup is that every week or two it deAuthorizes my 4kTV and I can access DirecTV unless I unplug my TV , wait 30 seconds for the tv to  reset and then plug it back in.  Every time I do that though I loose my "personalized" tv settings.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support