Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

Mentor

Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

I have been an uninterrupted Direct TV subscriber since 1995.

I have a Genie HR 44/500 connected to a Marantz SR 7005 7.2 audio/video receiver and a Sharp LC 70LE735U LCD LED 3D TV with auto 3D detection. Ever since the Genie was connected, it has trouble communicating. Even though my TV is set to auto detect 3D, when I tune any one of the active 3D channels, I get a message that my TV is not compatible to receive 3D. With my previous HR 24/500, never had this problem. In order to watch 3D programing, I have to go into the Sharp TV menu and reset auto 3D detect even though it is set on auto 3D detect. I have to do this every time after my system is shut down for the day and then powered up.

I also have a problem with the Genie HR44/500 outputting 5.1 surround sound. Every day when I power up the system, I only receive left and right sound even though my receiver is set to auto detect the soundtrack of the device connected to it. To overcome this, I have to set the receiver to any other sound field, then reset it to auto Dolby digital. Once I do this, the sound is outputted normally for the rest of the day until I shut it off and then power up the next day. My Genie A/V is sent to the Marantz by an HDMI cable installed by Direct TV. Direct TV disconnected my previous HDMI cable which had the latest 1.3a specification. My Genie is set to Dolby Digital.

I reported these problems to Direct TV 2nd tier technical support and they want me to send the HDMI cable directly to the TV and use an optical cable to the A/V receiver. I don't think this is right because I will lose quality in the audio and the HDMI cable is designed to pass the best quality A/V signals and in view of the fact that my system functioned fine with my present setup using the old HR 24/500.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 74
Contributor

Re: Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

We have the same problems with 3D and terrible audio after upgrading from an HR 24 to the HR 44 Genie about two weeks ago.  We have a Denon AV Receiver and a Mitsubishi 82" 3D dlp TV.  We have spent many hours troubleshooting.  It is not your HDMI, and yes, going to optical connections will be a downgrade.  We are also long term Direct TV customers.  I have been told by customer support today that they are aware of the problem and are working on it.  They are not sure if it will be a software download or a receiver replacement and are not sure how long this will take.

Message 2 of 74
Employee

lwolfenbarger wrote:

going to optical connections will be a downgrade.  .

NOT true at all!!!!  When it comes to DirecTV optical, coaxial, and HDMI will provide the same sound quality.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 74
Contributor

Well I thought the Genie would be an Upgrade as well. But it is certainly not when it comes to Audio.

Why? well you do not have the Optical Audio OutPut anymore.

The only way to get Audio out are as followed:

HDMI, Aux or Digital Audio.

Out of those choices the Digital Audio is the best solution. You will need to connect that output to the Digital Audio Input of you 5.1 System. What if you dont have that input? Well your screwed.

Connecting the HDMI to your TV then connect an optical to your system? Doesnt work. 5.1 Sound from HDMI via pass through to Optical will always downgrade to 2.1. So thats not an option.

Using Aux? well I dont have to talk about that.

So therefore the only way to get 5.1 to your 5.1 system is using the Digital Output.

Message 4 of 74
Expert

You're dead wrong regarding the Optical audio output (although it's a hollow discussion for a DVR than doesn't have Optical).  The Optical, Digital coax and HDMI audio outputs are the same, and deliver whatever audio resolution the received signal carries.

If a persons AVR has only Optical, a digital to optical converter is available from such folks as
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&for...

Message 5 of 74
Contributor

How am I dead wrong?

The only way to get 5.1 Sound directly to a 5.1 sys is via the Digital Output.

Or which other way is there to get the 5.1 to the sys? None.

so as you showed I would need such adapter. Than use the digital output cable from the Genie to the Adapter then from there to the Optical Input. Well if thats not a pain in the butt Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 74
Employee

and why not blame your AV receiver for the lack of Digital coax input???
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 74
Mentor

For some reason, I can't reply to my previous discssion: Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

Direct TV sent my problem to case management. All my issues are resolved.

1. I was unable to change my remote from IR to RF, it was greyed out. For Genie HR 44 users, make sure Direct TV gives you the new unique remote. It will allow you to change the HR 44 to read RF from the new remote. the old remote would not allow this. The 3D and remote not responding issue is now working. In my case, the instalers of the Genie did not give me the new remote, saying that customers were complaning that the new remote did not do as much as the old remote.

2. New APPS not working as a result of July 17, 2013 software download. As of now, only 4 Apps are available, that is why you don't see more Apps propagating the screen.

3. 5.1 surround not outputting to A/V reciver all the time. They did not agree with earlier tech suggestion to send HDMI cable directly to TV and use an optical cable from Genie to A/V receiver.

... site timed out on me. Adding: This issue not completely resolved. We could not duplicate the problem when tech was at my home. They sugested that I toggle to another channel and return to a channel with 5.1 sound and see what happens.

Message 8 of 74
Mentor

Direct TV came to my home to address the sound issue this past Saturday, August 10, 2013. They did try to swap the HDMI cable. They used an optical cable from the Geni HR 44 output sending it to my optical input on my receiver.

It worked for a while and then the sytem was powered down for an hour. Upon powerup, once again only left and right audio. The receiver was set to Auto Dolby Digital. The only option left per the Case Manager, was to escalate to enginerring and to try another Geni HR 44. Marantz Technical Support insists the problem is not with the Marantz A/V receiver. I have the latest firmware update and we trouble shot the Marantz receiver.

About the Optical Cable. It is my understanding that optical is NOT a lossless cable and that it will not pass HD audio.

Message 9 of 74
ACE - Expert

You are wrong about optical audio, it passes exactly the same quality DD 5.1 audio as HDMI (or digital audio coax).

One possibility is that your Marantz is set to pass audio to the TV as well as the surround sound speakers. Since the TV can't handle surround sound, if you have CEC set to "on" the Marantz will downconvert all its outputs to regular PCM stereo. You need to make sure the Marantz is set to NOT output audio to the TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 74
Employee

actually neither optical or Digital coax will pass HD audio.  But with DirecTV receivers this is a moot point as their is no such codecs on DirecTV.

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 74
ACE - Expert

yes, there is no" HD audio" from DirecTV, which is why I said DD 5.1, which is the surround sound that goes with the HD signals.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 74
Mentor

Are you sure?

When I said "lossless" and "HD Audio" I meant Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master or Multi Channel PCM (more then 2 channels)  It is my understanding that optical can not pass these formats as well as UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 because of the lower bit rate/bandwith of optical cable. HDMI is the only cable that can pass these formats uncompressed. Optical cable can only pass 2.0 PCM meaning stereo. Most receivers can covert this format to 5.1 with electronic trickery known as Dolby digital pro logic 11.

True, I suppose Direct TV is not passing these HD audio signals. I would at least like to have UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 sound. My Marantz SR7005 supports the latest A/V formats including HDMI 1.4a. and it is a discrete 7.2 A/V receiver. I am currently running 5.1 but seriously thinking of upgrading to 7.1 with 2 additional speakers. I have now tried optical and still have the hanshake issue.

I think the second part of your answer may be the key because my system is set up to deliver 5.1 sound from Direct TV, Blue Ray and 5.1 from over the air televisions signals through my 5.1 system. It worked well with the old HR 24-500. To be clear, the remaining issue I have is: after shutdown of system at night, the next morning when I power up the system, I only get left and right stereo, even though the A/V receiver is set to auto Dolby Digital. I have to manually turn the input selector on the receiver to another input, then return it to auto Dolby Digital. Once I do this, It then "reads/accepts" the signal from the HR 44 and I get 5.1 sound for the rest of the day. It dose this with HDMI and now with optical cable. So I imagine the problem is not with either cable?

What is CEC? and I will follow your suggestion.

Message 13 of 74
ACE - Expert

No, you are under the wrong impression. Optical audio passes Dolby Digital 5.1 with no problems at all. many of us have optical audio (or digital coax) from the DirecTV receiver to an A/V receiver and I can guarantee the signal carries DD 5.1, not just PCM.

The DirecTv receiver won 't deliver "true HD" or the other formats you mention, they do not exist in TV signals.  If you set the DirecTV box to deliver Dolby, it delivers DD 5.1 (assuming the program has DD 5.1).  The A/V receiver and TV don't have the ability to control the output from the DirecTv box, so I think you can reasonably assume the DirecTV box is outputting Dolby DD 5.1 all the time. It's not a cable problem.  It's the A/V receiver that is deciding to downgrade to PCM 2.0.  My guess is that it's CEC related, as I mentioned. I had the same problem with my Sony A/V receiver, it took me a week of investigation to get the receiver to handle DD 5.1 correctly.

Message 14 of 74
Employee

CEC is Consumer Electronics Control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI-CEC#CEC

Employee Contributor*
Message 15 of 74
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support