Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie Compatibility with RV Satellite Dish?

Highlighted
Teacher

Genie Compatibility with RV Satellite Dish?

When will Directv make the Genie compatible with current RV satellite dishes?

Message 1 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie Compatibility with RV Satellite Dish?

They won't. The Genie uses the new SWM technology and nearly all RV dishes use the old legacy technology. By adding an SWM multiswitch to a "legacy" dish you can convert it to an SWM  dish.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 18
Teacher

Actually I have a SWM 3 dish on my RV but have been told it will not work with a genie.
Message 3 of 18
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by dlarki01
‎10-15-2017 4:32 PM

The Winegard Travler is the only SWM dish made for RVs and yes it will work with a Genie and you will need the power inserter unless you have an HR54 or an H44 Genie.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 18
Contributor

I hope to help with this confusion.  DirecTv is upgrading its system to support 4K TV.  They just launched the Genie 2 wireless video server.  This system allows you to connect your dish direct to the SWM antenna then the server transmits wireless to any TV with a Genie Mini connected.  I just updated my house to this system thinking it was backward compatible to my Winegard SWM antenna only to find out it is not.  The new Genie 2 uses a new Reverse Band LNB.  (The LNB "Low Noise Block Down Converter" is the device at the end of the dish that picks up the three Satellites).  If you connect the new Genie 2 to your Winegard Travler you will get an error 776 on your TV.  The new LNB additionally adds the ability to put up to 13 tuners however when connected to the legacy LNB your receiver gets screwed up.

Note:  I called Winegard and they said that today they do not support the reverse band LNB.  No estimate on when they will have a updated product.

Solution:

1. For your RV revert back to a standard HD box.

or

2. Purchase a reverse band LNB on Amazon.  Note Winegard says this voids their warranty.  It should be plug and play.  The only issue i see is the hardware surrounding the LNB when in the stored position.  This may require some modification.  Thus from a functional standpoint it will work, however mechanically you may need to modify the support hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-SWM13-3D2RBLNB-UltraHD-SlimLine/dp/B01FN024AA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronic...

Message 5 of 18
Teacher

I did put a reverse lab on my SWM traveler dish and the Genie 2 works great in my RV.
Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

Careful Genie-2 is still working out post launch issues. And it does not allow any HDDVRs to be on the account, Client only system, which is its own concern. But glad you got the dish setup you needed.

Going forward boxes are SWM only and SD going away within next couple years so RV equipment will have to catch up.

Message 7 of 18
Teacher

Your reply makes no sense. I use the same Genie 2 box and wireless client unit from my living room in my RV so I don’t understand the HDDVR comment you made. Can you be more specific. Incidentally, it was the Directv Installation supervisor who suggested I put the reverse band Lynn on the SWM 3 traveler unit of my RV.
Message 8 of 18
ACE - Expert

With a regular Genie you can have multiple HDDVRs so more tuners and recording space. Same monthly cost as Clients as it is based on number of TVs, not what kind each box is. Some people leave the Genie home and take the dedicated boxes with them in the RV. Clients cannot work without Genie/Genie-2 so they have to move together and if Genie goes down all TVs go down.

For comparison: Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) and 2 HDDVRs have 9 tuners, 2TB total space, you don't have to take all boxes in RV, and main Genie has PiP.

Genie-2 (HS17) has 7 tuners (max no way to increase), 2TB total space, must stay with Clients, no PiP, and if you have to reset it or it gets unplugged by accident, all TVs down.

If you only have 1 TV, or only use RV, then doesn't matter as much. Other than be prepared for any bugs while they are still working on the new system.

Message 9 of 18
Contributor

Thanks for paving the way on this!!  I have a couple of questions.

1) Did you have to make any modifications to the Travler sk-swm3 dish or the new reverse band LNB?  I’ve heard concerns that the reverse band LNB is larger, won’t fit in the arm, and/or interferes with the dish raising/stowing, etc. 

2) any setting changes required on the Travler control box to let it know there is a differrent LNB installed?  How about having to change the “settings” on the Genie 2 when moving between house and RV. 

Weve traveled for years moving our Genie eve box to the RV and enjoying directv hd on the road. On our first trip now after directv upgraded our home to the new genie 2 - having the 776 error.  Frustrating as it really appears to be working - all channels are being received and show in the background with the error message across the bottom of screen. It would be great if you could dismiss the error.  Directv tech showed me where to put genie 2 in my RV - it was easy. Couldn’t test though as too many trees at my house with the RV was parked. 

Thanks again for paving the way!

Message 10 of 18
Contributor

Sojourner, did you get a chance to test the setup and can you post what that is? I was getting the same error, I figured it was a LNB issue so I purchased the same LNB they put on my house. One of my issue is that I went from a 4 line LNB with a swm8 to a single line LNB. I can't get the Travler to find the LNB at startup (No Voltage). The Genie 2 doesn't use a Power Inserter.  The travler needs it at startup to find the sats. Can anyone help me with the correct cabling setup to make it work?

Message 11 of 18
Tutor

I am having the same issue as @rockrebel9. I replaced the LNB and every time it powers up I get the "No Voltage LNB".

Just to confirm the cabling setup:

1) Single coax from new LNB (new 21 tuner non-remote with part # 3D2LNB)

2) Coax from single LNB output to "In from SWM" on the splitter

3) Coax from "Output" on the splitter to Genie 2 (HR 17)

No external power inserted and no SWM-8 or SWM-16 external multiswitch anymore due to the LNB have digital SWM integrated.

I know the Genie 2 works fine as I put it back into my house and connected all receivers with no issues.

Can someone please weigh in on possible issues?  Our Sunday NFL tailgate is coming up fast and I will be in hot water with my tailgating crew if I dont figure this out soon!

Message 12 of 18
ACE - Expert

You have to connect the coax from the HS17 to the red power pass through port on the SWM splitter.

Message 13 of 18
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply @shannon02.  I should've clarified that the splitter output I used from the Genie 2 was output 1 which has the red line labeled "DC Power Pass" pointing to the "In from SWM" port. For exact reference, I am using the small splitter MSPLIT2R0-01.

Message 14 of 18
ACE - Expert

AFAIK the LNB has nothing to do with the dish aiming, you may have a problem with the power to the Winegard itself.

If there is no power to the LNB you should get a 775 error code.

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support