Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2

Highlighted
Mentor

Genie 2

I have an appointment to replace my current direct Tv dvr ( I believe a genie, attached to 3 minies. I was checking online to confirm that I would be able to utilize the app to download recorded shows. I didn’t find the answer to that question. However, I saw many posts about genie two problems. Have they been fixed? Hound I stick with what I have?

this is the time to make the switch if a good one. Nothing recorded ( just need to reset my series) and I am going on a long vacation.

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie 2

Genie-2 (HS17) still has post launch bugs. Plus it has a restrictive design as it forbids HDDVRs from being on the account. So it hard caps the tuners and makes your whole setup relying on 1 box, instead of each with their own independent processing. Replacing the Genie would lose everything you already have recorded.

Genie with HDDVRs instead of Clients is the best setup. Each HDDVR has its own 2 tuners and 500GB recording space. Still shares their recordings with all the other boxes of course.

Do NOT upgrade to Genie-2.

Use upgrade to replace Mini Genie Client with HDDVR.

Use next upgrade to replace another Mini with HDDVR.

If before next free upgrade, or want to get other HDDVRs to replace other Minis on top of the free one, their one-time lease is $199 each.

If Genie is 1st generation (HR34), tell them it is dead and get a warranty replacement which gets HR44 or HR54 depending on stock. Both models vastly superior to the 1st gen. Remember replacing a DVR like the Genie, regardless if upgrade or warranty, the recordings do not transfer from the old one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Mentor

Thank you so much for the info. I don’t understand the replacement of the minis. Our set up now is we have the newest dvr (prior to Genie 2). It records all shows and we can watch them in the other rooms. If I were to replace a mini with another dvr, are they linked? There is only one room that we regularly watch shows. So recording other shows and greeting the series recording on two different units would not work for us. If the bugs are series on genie 2, I’ll just stick with the current set up

Message 3 of 7
Mentor

I think my last reply didn’t go to you. Thanks for the input. Sounds like genie 2 not a good idea. Not sure about your other suggestion. We currently have an Hr54-200. That is in out tv room. This is where watch most things. We have minis in 3 rooms (offices and guest room for rare occasions. In addition to watching in tv room, many shows are watched on mobile devices after using app to download. If we replaced a mini with another hddvr ( another h54?), would we get more than the 5 simultaneous shows? Do we need to set up some series to record on one dvr and others on the other? How does the app work with multiple dvrs? How are you able to watch shows recorded on an office dvr in the tv room.

not worried about recorded shows. Our previous h54 went out and was replaced last week. Very little on it. Just need to do series again. This is the time to decide on a change if we are going to make it.

what are the genie bugs?

Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by EricaBS
‎09-03-2018 10:04 PM

You have the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) and 3 Mini Genie Clients.

The recommendation is to replace one of the Mini Genies with an HDDVR. The HDDVR would have 2 tuners and 500GB recording space. When you pull up the list of recordings you will see what is on the Genie and all regular HDDVRs that you have. Unlike Clients you can set parental controls per box or even hide a DVR from the others if you so need. If Genie ever goes down, so do all Clients as they cannot work without the main box, but HDDVRs are full receivers so would be unaffected.

Genie-2 has some audio/video delays and intermittent issues as it is not a box that goes on the TV itself, but uses a Client on every TV. Forbids other HDDVRs so its built in 7 tuners is a hard cap. Genie with 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners, more than the Genie-2 could ever have.

So the Genie with HDDVRs already provides more capability than the Genie-2, and is a more reliable setup by each box having independent processing (but they still talk to each other) and do not deal with the post launch bugs the Genie-2 is still clearing out.

As a note regular HDDVRs (most recent model HR24) do not get the new GUI that the HR44, HR54, and HS17 are receiving. They keep the classic interface.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 7
Mentor

Is there an HDDVR model number we need to get to replace our mini. Is there a difficult  configuration or can we install it ourselves.

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by EricaBS
‎09-04-2018 7:57 AM

Just order an HDDVR. Only one you could get is HR24. Should just be drop shipped. Make sure you check the order confirmation that gets emailed shortly after the order is placed.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support